Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
That you can post photos to the TOUAMB Flickr Pool?

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dirty Phillipe  (Read 1648 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Death Ray

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 4
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 151
    • View Profile
    • Deep Fried, webcomics' dirty little secret
Dirty Phillipe
« on: January 08, 2008, 12:06:00 am »

I don't think Phillipe is as naive as he lets on, vis-a-vis Nolan. I seem to recall that in an early Achewod strip he disappeared off-panel with Ultra Peanut, leaving behind his clothes.

Could Phillipe have...put his peanut in Ultra Peanut???
Logged

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Dirty Phillipe
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2008, 12:20:14 am »

We called this "playing doctor" back in the day.  They probably call it "trial meatspace cybering" now, or something.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

colmore

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 56
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 379
  • Sorry Mom, Sorry Dad, Sorry College
    • View Profile
Re: Dirty Phillipe
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2008, 12:23:23 am »

Thanks to the evil Teevee and interwebs and hot coffee, I imagine the youngins call it "sexing" or something like that.  Anyway, I think Phillipe was retarded then and not five.  As some hilarious movies have proven, retards can use their peanuts, innocent or no.  He and U.P. were short because they're otters, and as we all know otters are small compared to housecats, *****s, and alive stuffed bears and tigers, which are all about the same size.

(q: when did he become 5?  Off the top of my head, the earliest strip I can remember mentioning it was the one where he ran for president.)
Logged
In Capitalist America, bank robs you!

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: Dirty Phillipe
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2008, 12:43:38 am »

Maybe it was because of the time when I came in, but I've always understood Phillipe to be a young'un, if not necessarily five. I just think in the beginning he was written more as a special needs kid than now, when he's just more of a kid playing in an adult's world.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Dirty Phillipe
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2008, 12:53:54 am »

The first time his age was explicitly mentioned in the strip was in Shove It!. Although I personally think that earlier stuff like the calls from his mom and keeping food separate were because he's young, not "special."
Logged

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Dirty Phillipe
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2008, 01:58:49 am »

Hmmm...in 2002, Ray was 5 years old as well.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Dirty Phillipe
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2008, 02:09:21 am »

Ray is five in people years in that strip, making him 35 in cat years.  Age is different to humans who make lost posters and to the cats that are featured in them.

I really liked the interesting contrast of the characters in Achewood against when they collided with the human world.  I miss it actually.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Dirty Phillipe
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2008, 03:40:46 am »

I don't think Phillipe is as naive as he lets on, vis-a-vis Nolan. I seem to recall that in an early Achewod strip he disappeared off-panel with Ultra Peanut, leaving behind his clothes.

zing
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.
Pages: [1]   Go Up