Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

What we need more of is science.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Literature that is Not in English.  (Read 5903 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: Literature that is Not in English.
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2008, 12:07:37 am »

The reason english authors are translated into so many other languages is because there is a demand for those works. I am reasonably certain that if there was some amazing Dutch John Grisham or whatever, that there would be people who would see the money in translating it for english markets.

It feels like there's a mistake there that demand equals value.   There likely is an amazing Jorn Gvesham, but we wouldn't really know to even demand it, so his work won't be translated, and with out that, no demand for his work.
Logged

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Literature that is Not in English.
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2008, 12:24:02 am »

That said, there are certainly works within other societies that have the importance of, say, Shakespeare's Merchant of Venice, as far as informing the cultural context in which people live.  Many of them, like the Vedas for example, are religious in nature.  Others such as the Chinese Classics aren't authored by a single person, but are sort of like the Bible in that they collectively describe an ethos. There are also epics like the Illiad or Beowulf such as The Tales of Genji, the Mahabharata, or the Romance of the Three Kingoms.  Also, the Chinese have a tradition of lighter fiction such as Di Gong An.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Literature that is Not in English.
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2008, 12:26:18 am »

It feels like there's a mistake there that demand equals value.   There likely is an amazing Jorn Gvesham, but we wouldn't really know to even demand it, so his work won't be translated, and with out that, no demand for his work.
Sei Shonagon isn't an author that leaps to the minds of most folk, but she wrote The Pillow Book in 1002 AD.  Admittedly, most people have read it because of the movie...
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Literature that is Not in English.
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2008, 01:00:28 am »

So, as far as I'm concerned "literature" as a concept and creative practice is Western - no matter who makes it, what country they're in and for what audience simply because the aesthetic draws from that framework.

I think the Chinese would disagree.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Literature that is Not in English.
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2008, 01:29:57 am »

See I think the thing is that inev thinks way more English works are important than actually are.  Just because it is at barnes and noble doesn't mean it is good...

In all honesty, there are not That many hugely important novels.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Literature that is Not in English.
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2008, 01:41:10 am »

I mean, still, I started making a list of books I want to read, and I gave up. There are too many. I mean, I consider books which have influenced modern culture in significant ways to be worth reading, which is kind of what I do with music, too.
Which, incidentally, is something that I find myself really interested in-- the way different mediums are understood differently because of being processed through different senses. I used to get into really interesting discussions with this girl I was dating last year about the differences between visual art (which was her thing) and music. She said, for instance, that people have an easier time liking "weird" music than "weird" paintings. I, quite frankly, think it's quite the opposite, for the simple reason of duration. I can look at some crazy abstract painting and say "oh, that looks cool," but I don't know how long I could listen to John Cage for before I'd get bored or annoyed.
Then, you know, we started getting into like "what is the musical equivalent of abstract expressionism" or "what is the visual equivalent of jazz" and we realized that we were full of shit, and stopped.  probably the best choice.

Also, I don't tell you often enough, Melanie, how much I love you. The love I have for you is deeper than any affection.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Literature that is Not in English.
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2008, 02:19:44 am »

some Canadian literary theorists worship Margaret Atwood while plenty of people outside Canada have no idea who she is.

I actually first heard about her because another author was bitching about some disparaging remarks she made about science fiction and fantasy, since her own work is clearly "speculative fiction."
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Literature that is Not in English.
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2008, 02:24:19 am »

I believe I am pretty well-read and...

I've only heard of Atwood because she was name-checked in a Moxy Fruvous song.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Literature that is Not in English.
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2008, 02:34:22 am »

Well when I sorted our books I discovered that the SO has 2 or 3 of her books but I haven't read any yet. But man, Steven Erikson hates Margaret Atwood. Hates her to hell.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Literature that is Not in English.
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2008, 02:49:02 am »

oh, lord, she wrote The Handmaiden's Tale. I know so many people who love that book.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Literature that is Not in English.
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2008, 03:28:59 am »

oh, lord, she wrote The Handmaiden's Tale. I know so many people who love that book.

I just read it a few months ago.  Very good, but not life-changing.  I liked Oryx and Crake a little more.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Literature that is Not in English.
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2008, 03:41:21 am »

The Handmaid's Tale was okay, but it had one of the biggest cop-out endings I've seen in some time.
Logged

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: Literature that is Not in English.
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2008, 05:40:34 am »

I believe I am pretty well-read and...

I've only heard of Atwood because she was name-checked in a Moxy Fruvous song.

I had the same thought.
Logged

Victoria Waterfield

  • Molly
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 336
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 739
  • FUCK YOU, MIKE!
    • View Profile
Re: Literature that is Not in English.
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2008, 07:10:00 am »

I don't know how long I could listen to John Cage for before I'd get bored or annoyed.

Oh I don't know, I listened to about nine hours of 4' 33'' once before I felt the need to turn it off.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Literature that is Not in English.
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2008, 07:12:18 am »

Quote
Oh I don't know, I listened to about nine hours of 4' 33'' once before I felt the need to turn it off.

When will this end? oh! it's paused! ok... no... now it's paused. Now it's playing. Right?

I feel like it would be much better performed live.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up