Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Ray Smuckles pours one out for Tiger's '09 Escalade. "Shit didn't have to be that way, Tiger. You coulda' taken the damn Buick."

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: January 9th 2008 - three swatches and poppin' a boner  (Read 9908 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

colmore

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 56
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 379
  • Sorry Mom, Sorry Dad, Sorry College
    • View Profile
January 9th 2008 - three swatches and poppin' a boner
« on: January 09, 2008, 06:04:13 am »

Logged
In Capitalist America, bank robs you!

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: January 9th 2008 - three swatches and poppin' a boner
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2008, 06:14:55 am »

So, how big do you think Onstad's bald spot is?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: January 9th 2008 - three swatches and poppin' a boner
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2008, 06:42:44 am »

So, how big do you think Onstad's bald spot is?

Hopefully it gets better if he is going to be pumping out strips like this.  I haven't been posting about strips unless it is worth it for a while, and oh god this was worth it.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: January 9th 2008 - three swatches and poppin' a boner
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2008, 07:29:29 am »

Big enough where he doesn't like photos of himself in public and yet can't lower himself to the hipster-conceit of ironically ballcapping it.

My dad only recently started balding, in his late forties, unlike his brothers who were balding in their mid twenties. Dad never wears ballcaps, my uncles did and do all the time.

This has kept my opinion on ballcaps largely as Will Smith's opinions on cigars:

"It's just for looks, I don't light it".
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: January 9th 2008 - three swatches and poppin' a boner
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2008, 07:33:44 am »

We've been over this. 

Asherdan will disagree.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: January 9th 2008 - three swatches and poppin' a boner
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2008, 09:12:13 am »

The strip is excellent, and that is exactly what Johnny Cash is for.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: January 9th 2008 - three swatches and poppin' a boner
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2008, 09:50:39 am »

This is another strip that gets way more surreal if you consider the fact that the characters are cats.

... I was about to type "when's the last time you saw a cat with a bald spot?", and then I remembered that our kitten (actually in that awkward stage between kitten and cat -- I think of him as a "smallcat") has more-or-less bald runners along his temples. Poor Saburo will surely start monk dimin' soon.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: January 9th 2008 - three swatches and poppin' a boner
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2008, 01:57:13 pm »

As long as he doesn't get an unfortunate hair pattern like Pat he should be fine.

I would wear a ball cap to cover mine but I look dumb in hats and I can't find a hat that has something on it that I would actually care about. Plus they remind me of college seeing guys frantically rubbing their new hats against the sidewalk so they wouldn't look (gasp) new.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: January 9th 2008 - three swatches and poppin' a boner
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2008, 03:12:14 pm »

.... I was about to type "when's the last time you saw a cat with a bald spot?", and then I remembered that our kitten (actually in that awkward stage between kitten and cat -- I think of him as a "smallcat") has more-or-less bald runners along his temples.

Some of our cats have had these and they never get any bigger, so they're not really the like bald spots at issue. The surrealness of their being cats remains.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

gearnest

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 21
    • View Profile
    • Prewar Gibson Banjos
Re: January 9th 2008 - three swatches and poppin' a boner
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2008, 04:10:03 pm »

Beef's small font and lack of punctuation conspired to make me unsure at first whether he was saying "that must have been a raw while, man" or "that must have been a raw white man".  I decided the former made more sense.
Logged

Turbo Ninja

  • A Tall Glass of Tuaca
  • Mr. Bear (Cornelius)
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 125
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 689
    • View Profile
Re: January 9th 2008 - three swatches and poppin' a boner
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2008, 05:16:22 pm »

Big enough where he doesn't like photos of himself in public and yet can't lower himself to the hipster-conceit of ironically ballcapping it.

Is it not possible to wear a ballcap in a non-ironic way? 

I frequently rock a Detroit Tigers cap (because the Olde Tyme "D" logo is the best one in baseball) and I've never thought of it as a gag.  But then, I'm not seriously balding like one guy I used to work with who wears a trucker-style mesh hat that says "Who gives a shit?" beneath a picture of a guy in a hammock.

I have some thinning, and my hairline has retreated an inch or so from its collegiate prime.  I do not feel the need to conceal it with purposeful haircuts or distracting headwear.  Were I to wear a hipster-conceit cap, it would be a fez or a giraffeing hat like Henry Fonda in On Golden Pond.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: January 9th 2008 - three swatches and poppin' a boner
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2008, 05:30:23 pm »

yeah, um, when I wore a Red Sox baseball cap around before the world series, it was because I like the Red Sox because my dad has worshipped them since he was a child, and this has penetrated even my not-understanding-sports brain.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: January 9th 2008 - three swatches and poppin' a boner
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2008, 06:42:22 pm »

As I've noted elsewhere, I'm somewhat known for my hat-wearing (to the point where, when I'm not wearing it outside, people ask me where it is).  This has the side effect of hiding my quarter-sized patch of thinning apex, but my primary reason for wearing hats is to keep the sun off my skin, which was heavily irradiated during the 70's.  I'd get a blistering burn, get to the peeling point, and burn it again.  I suspect my 50's will be an unending series of minor outpatient procedures.
Also rain - but since I live in Cali, not so much.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
Re: January 9th 2008 - three swatches and poppin' a boner
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2008, 08:14:58 pm »

I wear a beret without irony. I mean, I'm Jewish so it's a hat or a yarmulke, and a beret is comfortable, practical, stays on well and looks pretty decent on me.
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: January 9th 2008 - three swatches and poppin' a boner
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2008, 08:29:58 pm »

The SO recently asked me if he should start using Rogaine.  I was like "I don't know.  You should if you want to, I guess.  It is not something I know anything about."  Most of the men on both sides of his family are bald you see.  They're all attractively bald though - none of that terrible comb-over stuff going on - so I'm not particularly worried about it.  Besides I'd love the guy even if he grew a big, weeping growth on his eye.  I know a guy who is the unattractive kind of bald - where you're left with random tufts that still grow in the middle of otherwise bald areas - and he mostly wears hats.  I always wonder what keeps someone in that situation from just keeping a nicely shaved head.  I know a few guys who shave it all, and it looks great, but I suppose there's some sort of need to hold on to whatever you've got.  It must be traumatic to bald, even if the progression is fairly slow.  Thankfully ladies mostly don't have to deal with that.  I lost a bunch of hair due to illness in my teens - I didn't get bald patches or anything, just an overall general thinning.  My hair never really recovered.

V - all I could think about when reading the strip is that they're cats - it was very distracting for me.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up