Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Alright, America. I'm playing the underpants and pants game. If just for one more day.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: January 9th 2008 - three swatches and poppin' a boner  (Read 9902 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

milhouse

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 4
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 52
    • View Profile
Re: January 9th 2008 - three swatches and poppin' a boner
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2008, 03:13:50 pm »

I would wear a ball cap to cover mine but I look dumb in hats and I can't find a hat that has something on it that I would actually care about.

 :o The offical Achewood cap maybe?
Logged
Three mute birds, walking in procession,

chuanoplast

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 33
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 234
  • Most Painful Part
    • View Profile
    • Stupid Blog
Re: January 9th 2008 - three swatches and poppin' a boner
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2008, 04:31:28 am »

Hats are awesome and I await the day they start selling large floppy hats with dead animals, ribbons, and wax fruit lavishly piled around the brim.


Logged
The most important decision in my life: the rabbit mug or the monkey mug. (PS I GOT THE KITTY MUG)

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
Re: January 9th 2008 - three swatches and poppin' a boner
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2008, 10:11:58 am »

Why did I have the impression you were of Chinese descent?

I dunno, really. I can think of three possible reasons.

1: The vaguely Japaneseish screen name, as smets suggests; this is actually short for "Ben-San Arizona" and has less to do with Japan and more to do with having been really, really into cult sci-fi films when I first hit the Internet.
2: I have for whatever reason a pronounced epicanthic fold and generally more-beige-than-pink skin tone, which are both kind of enhanced by the "missing person last known photo" shenanigans I performed on the one picture of me I've posted here.
3: The Chinese and the Ashkenazic Jews both have serious multigenerational parental issues that derive from being patriarchal poor-as-shit rural cultures with extraordinarily rigid structures of law and tradition which simultaneously venerate advanced education while not traditionally having the time or money to pursue it as much as they think they should, which are then massively disrupted by a sweepingly transformative social event that attempted to destroy their society as it had previously existed (The Great Leap Forward and the Holocaust respectively).
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: January 9th 2008 - three swatches and poppin' a boner
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2008, 03:07:17 pm »

I dunno, really. I can think of three possible reasons.

1: The vaguely Japaneseish screen name, as smets suggests; this is actually short for "Ben-San Arizona" and has less to do with Japan and more to do with having been really, really into cult sci-fi films when I first hit the Internet.
2: I have for whatever reason a pronounced epicanthic fold and generally more-beige-than-pink skin tone, which are both kind of enhanced by the "missing person last known photo" shenanigans I performed on the one picture of me I've posted here.
3: The Chinese and the Ashkenazic Jews both have serious multigenerational parental issues that derive from being patriarchal poor-as-shit rural cultures with extraordinarily rigid structures of law and tradition which simultaneously venerate advanced education while not traditionally having the time or money to pursue it as much as they think they should, which are then massively disrupted by a sweepingly transformative social event that attempted to destroy their society as it had previously existed (The Great Leap Forward and the Holocaust respectively).

IT'S ALL CHING CHONG WING WONG
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: January 9th 2008 - three swatches and poppin' a boner
« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2008, 03:19:30 pm »


this is actually short for "Ben-San Arizona" and has less to do with Japan and more to do with having been really, really into cult sci-fi films when I first hit the Internet.

And this is the ching chong wing wongiest part. What??
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: January 9th 2008 - three swatches and poppin' a boner
« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2008, 05:04:02 pm »

Hats are awesome and I await the day they start selling large floppy hats with dead animals, ribbons, and wax fruit lavishly piled around the brim.


Quoted and CAN'D for sweet, sweet truth.
Logged

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: January 9th 2008 - three swatches and poppin' a boner
« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2008, 07:35:14 pm »

As an aside, I just had to google what "IIRC" meant.

The internet is generating abbreviations faster than I can learn them, I must be getting old.

This one is actually pretty long in the tooth.  We were using it back in USENET days during the early '90s at least.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: January 9th 2008 - three swatches and poppin' a boner
« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2008, 09:44:41 pm »

This one is actually pretty long in the tooth.  We were using it back in USENET days during the early '90s at least.

Yeah, I used this one as far back as Yahoo Chat during my freshman year of college. 

IIRC, that is. 

Sorry.  Couldn't resist. 

I did have to look up QFT in Urban Dictionary a couple of months ago, so don't feel bad. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: January 9th 2008 - three swatches and poppin' a boner
« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2008, 10:30:20 pm »

Yeah, I used this one as far back as Yahoo Chat during my freshman year of college. 

IIRC, that is. 

Sorry.  Couldn't resist. 

I did have to look up QFT in Urban Dictionary a couple of months ago, so don't feel bad. 

When I saw people using GGG here I spent a few minutes wondering what German Goo Girls had to do with the current topic.
Logged

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
Re: January 9th 2008 - three swatches and poppin' a boner
« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2008, 10:45:55 pm »

And this is the ching chong wing wongiest part. What??

The basic form: The film Dark Star was more or less John Carpenter's student project reworked into a feature-length film. One recurring soundtrack element is a space country-western/trucker song named "Benson, Arizona". The town of Benson, AZ, as a result, plays host to annual Dark Star fan meetups. I've never been there (I'm not enough of a fan of the film to travel to Arizona over it), but when I was trying to think of something that sounded like a name and also conveyed being a gigantic dork over cult sci-fi films "Ben-San Arizona" came to mind.

Nowadays I mostly use "Ben-San" and people assume it's because I'm a dork over Japanese culture. Which is admittedly also true but not the point of origin.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: January 9th 2008 - three swatches and poppin' a boner
« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2008, 12:51:32 am »

That looks like a good movie. I'd never heard of it.

Being a dork about Japanese language, I wonder if it would be OK to use Ben-San as a screen name in Japanese when you never refer to yourself with the prefix -san.  But I guess you can do whatever you want with screen names. No one would think twice about Mr. Ben as a screen name even though you'd never introduce yourself as Mr. Ben.

Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: January 9th 2008 - three swatches and poppin' a boner
« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2008, 12:53:20 am »

I think I'd have just gone with "Benson" and used a picture of Robert Guillaume as an avatar.

And it took me about a month to figure out what FTW was.
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: January 9th 2008 - three swatches and poppin' a boner
« Reply #42 on: January 12, 2008, 12:56:36 am »

Me too and... even then... "Fuck Tiger Woods!"?

What'd Tiger Woods ever do to you?
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: January 9th 2008 - three swatches and poppin' a boner
« Reply #43 on: January 12, 2008, 12:57:36 am »

Me too and... even then... "Fuck Tiger Woods!"?

What'd Tiger Woods ever do to you?

For a while I could only think of Fuck The World. But for that I blame Taz.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: January 9th 2008 - three swatches and poppin' a boner
« Reply #44 on: January 12, 2008, 06:46:22 pm »

I... I still read it as Fuck The World. As in "this is so awesome that it's like a middle finger to the whole world."
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up