Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood There are only five Wodehouse books on my special Wodehouse shelf?! As Jeeves himself might ask, "Where in the fuck are the rest of them."

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A Link for Linnea  (Read 3946 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
A Link for Linnea
« on: January 12, 2008, 10:34:17 pm »

I just saw this site advertised on My Yahoo and had to click on a banner ad for probably the third time ever in my life.  Is this the bag you've been coveting? 

http://www.bagborroworsteal.com/product/8533/Handbag/Coach/Coach-Legacy-Signature-Satchel

The gist of this website -- gotta love the pun -- is that you can rent a trendy, fashionable accessory by the week or the month in order to look awesome on a temporary basis without the buyer's remorse that follows shelling out $600 on jewelry to wear to a single event, or (I suppose) to be ultra-trendy without cluttering up your closet with handbags you'll never wear again. 

In other words, it's sort of like Netflix for fashionistas. 

My verdict: cool!  It's not a service I'd ever use -- okay, maybe I'd rent some moderately-priced jewelry for a week if I had a very special event to attend, like a black-tie wedding or something -- but I think as a general idea, it has wide appeal.  It seems well-executed, also -- although they seem to have a lot of hidden fees. 

What do you think? 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: A Link for Linnea
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2008, 04:20:06 am »

I just saw this site advertised on My Yahoo and had to click on a banner ad for probably the third time ever in my life.  Is this the bag you've been coveting? 

http://www.bagborroworsteal.com/product/8533/Handbag/Coach/Coach-Legacy-Signature-Satchel

The gist of this website -- gotta love the pun -- is that you can rent a trendy, fashionable accessory by the week or the month in order to look awesome on a temporary basis without the buyer's remorse that follows shelling out $600 on jewelry to wear to a single event, or (I suppose) to be ultra-trendy without cluttering up your closet with handbags you'll never wear again. 

In other words, it's sort of like Netflix for fashionistas. 

My verdict: cool!  It's not a service I'd ever use -- okay, maybe I'd rent some moderately-priced jewelry for a week if I had a very special event to attend, like a black-tie wedding or something -- but I think as a general idea, it has wide appeal.  It seems well-executed, also -- although they seem to have a lot of hidden fees. 

What do you think? 

Oh god!!! Yes, I have flirted with the BBOS link since I first heard about it when I lived in Alaska. THIS is the one that I want, except I want it in Black. That is similar-ish to the bag that I want; however, the one that I want is all-leather (none of the - imho - gaudy "signature" fabric) and the front buckles are different.

$90/month is a damn sight better than shelling out $450 on eBay for one. But you also have to pay an upfront membership fee in addition to the monthly or weekly rentals.
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: A Link for Linnea
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2008, 11:07:22 pm »

Technically, you don't *have* to pay the membership fee...but it seems like if you plan to rent from them more than a few times a year, it's worth it. 

Also, they charge $10 round-trip shipping & handling per item.  I had to read a lot of fine print in the FAQ to find that, though. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: A Link for Linnea
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2008, 08:42:57 pm »

Ten bucks per item? Fuck you guys!

That link is bad for me to look at, 'cos I'm all bullshit-rationalizing now and you all know that I have hella weak resolve. "Oh look, if I were to rent the bag for three months, I could've just bought it on eBay. The laced Soho satchel I'm currently carrying was bought on eBay for $260 and I've carried it for 16 months, which means that it's down to about 54 cents per wearing! I just know I'd carry the Legacy courier for longer than that...where's mah credit card..."

And then I have to smack myself and remind myself that I do not really want an expensive handbag. I need to have that credit card paid down so I'll have something for kitty veterinary emergencies and the like. I need to SAVE MONEY.
Logged

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: A Link for Linnea
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2008, 09:08:40 pm »

I need to have that credit card paid down so I'll have something for kitty veterinary emergencies and the like. I need to SAVE MONEY.

How much money could some sterile syringes and Ringer's Lactate run?
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: A Link for Linnea
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2008, 09:20:46 pm »

How much money could some sterile syringes and Ringer's Lactate run?

Well, I'm no longer with an ambulance service so it's not like I can just ask my EMS coordinator for medical supplies. And you have to have special credentials (e.g., buying on behalf of a physician) to purchase materials such as those.

Although I am hella proud for taking care of Lennybruce when he got really sick. That was incredibly emotional and difficult. Yay for medical training.
Logged

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: A Link for Linnea
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2008, 09:39:40 pm »

Who needs medical training when superglue works so good?

Why is this thread full of people not really helping/gently mocking Somebody nice? You people are evil/funny as hell!

Man, my life ain't need more mocking.
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: A Link for Linnea
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2008, 11:23:14 pm »

You know, I went through that site, then Coach's, Then Nordstrom's, then a bunch more, and I can't find the bag that my wife just got (that I could have sworn was a Coach). Huh.

Also, who's mocking your life currently? Who is it? I'll come whip their ass!
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: A Link for Linnea
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2008, 05:28:17 am »

All I heard was: cum-whip.
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: A Link for Linnea
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2008, 02:46:11 pm »

Cum-Whip - it's a floor polish AND a dessert topping.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon
Pages: [1]   Go Up