Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

HIDE YOUR SHAME
by wearing new t-shirts from Word Front Wares. Shroud yourself in pure unadulterated awesome.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DIY  (Read 1845 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
DIY
« on: January 13, 2008, 11:49:03 pm »

I have a love of reusing and repurposing (hence my recent desk-geek postings).  If I had to define my number-one hobby it would be finding use for that would otherwise be discarded and/or no longer serves a purpose in its current state.

That said, I'd love to invite people to post their DIY projects here.  I take a lot of inspiration from seeing other people's projects, so please share away (descriptions are good, photos are awesome!)

The SO will be taking his first road trip with his new DS tomorrow, and he was in need of a case for his games.  So I popped out of bed with a plan to put some stuff I had thrown in the office garbage can to better use.

Here's the finished product.  I'm pretty proud of it.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: DIY
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2008, 12:33:45 am »

I am sure I have something, but I can't think of anything right now.

Basically, I was just saying that is awesome.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: DIY
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2008, 01:51:42 am »

That is a super-neat DS game case.
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: DIY
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2008, 04:38:39 am »

That's rad, Mel.




Can you elaborate on this:

Quote from: side_show on flickr
a pair of blue jeans I had ripped in a way that made them... uh... unwearable

It could be in a PM, if that works better for you. I am just curious, is all. You know, in a purely scientific way.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: DIY
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2008, 04:57:15 am »

You...are...rad. 

That is an extremely nice game case, I might have to figure out something similar for Little P's vSmile cartridges.  They're a bit bulkier, though, so I'd need pockets with a bit more give. 

Hmmmm...I'm going to have to think about this.  I used to be a much bigger DIYer before the little one(s) came along.  (Pluralization still pending.) 

The only creative use of limited resources I can think of lately is that this past summer we visited my brother-in-law for a few days, and discovered when we arrived that while he does have a bathtub, he didn't have anything to plug the drain with.  (He only takes showers.)  Since Little P requires nightly baths in order to settle down for sleep, and we discovered the lack of bathtub ability about an hour before his bedtime, I crocheted an 8"x2" strip with some cheap wool-blend yarn, rolled it up, tied it tightly with a cut bit of yarn, and stuffed it in the drain (using the tie-down as a drain pull when the bath was over).  Wool is naturally fairly water-resistant and it made a pretty nice seal.  Worked like a charm, and took about twenty minutes from start to finish. 

I also knitted a tiny drawstring bag (I mean tiny -- size 2 needles and sock yarn, three stitches wide and four high) to cover the broken-off shard that remained when I broke the nosepiece off my glasses.  I didn't have a spare pair and needed to be able to wear them comfortably long enough to get to the optics place to have it fixed. 

But none of those things are as cool as your game case.  Seriously, that is awesome. 

All I am saying here is that I am to yarn as MacGuyver :: Duct Tape. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: DIY
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2008, 10:33:15 am »

Damn you folk are hell of creative and that is a downright fashionable DS carrier. Ornately hand-crafted tiny cans made out of recycled tiny cans all round.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'
Pages: [1]   Go Up