Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I once had the idea that, if only for a moment each night, everyone in the world was asleep at the same time. It made the world manageable.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: How did you first find Achewood?  (Read 6335 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Enkidu

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 13
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 42
  • I think my hearts explodin! THESE KNIVES!
    • View Profile
Re: How did you first find Achewood?
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2008, 08:39:43 pm »

I can't recall how I originally found achewood.  Most likely someone posted a link in the arstechnica lounge.  The link in my bookmarks folder says July 22, 2004.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: How did you first find Achewood?
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2008, 08:53:38 pm »

The links to Parking Lot is Full are showing up as blank.  I've never heard of Parking Lot is Full, but as I love PBF I really want to see these.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: How did you first find Achewood?
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2008, 09:49:23 pm »

The links to Parking Lot is Full are showing up as blank.  I've never heard of Parking Lot is Full, but as I love PBF I really want to see these.

Here you go.  Good stuff but hell of dark.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: How did you first find Achewood?
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2008, 10:07:55 pm »

The links to Parking Lot is Full are showing up as blank.  I've never heard of Parking Lot is Full, but as I love PBF I really want to see these.

How weird, they definitely worked before.  The two I was referring to was the Cabbage Patch one or the Garfield/Odie one.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

oball

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 128
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 507
  • In excess of seven ding dongs
    • View Profile
Re: How did you first find Achewood?
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2008, 12:20:28 am »

Logged
Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise

Lister

  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 101
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 892
  • 2, 4, 6, 8, time to transubstantiate!
    • View Profile
Re: How did you first find Achewood?
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2008, 07:32:43 pm »

I turned left at Greenland.

Or was linked by one of the newsposts at Penny-Arcade.  I remember absolutely hating the fact that Onstad didn't always use the correct punctuation at the end of sentences, but I thought it was still pretty funny.  Plus, I couldn't predict it, which is basically my standard for good entertainment.
Logged
Lister.  Not that one, the other one.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: How did you first find Achewood?
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2008, 07:46:24 pm »

Plus, I couldn't predict it, which is basically my standard for good entertainment.

That is a damn good standard.  I learned about it from a good friend.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: How did you first find Achewood?
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2008, 05:56:46 pm »

I'm pretty sure I was reading something that had a Dumbrella forum and I found it there. WiGU?
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Victoria Waterfield

  • Molly
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 336
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 739
  • FUCK YOU, MIKE!
    • View Profile
Re: How did you first find Achewood?
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2008, 09:43:58 pm »

A friend of mine lent me one of the books - I think the fourth one - whichever one starts off with Ray and Philippe visiting Mark Twain in the time machine.
Logged

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: How did you first find Achewood?
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2008, 07:52:45 am »

Y'know, I thought I answered this question in an older thread, except now I can't locate the thread. I found Achewood through a link from another webcomic, and thought it was amazing. This was in the early days, probably late 2001/early 2002 or shortly after the strip began.

Also I am at 2800 posts.
Logged

milhouse

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 4
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 52
    • View Profile
Re: How did you first find Achewood?
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2008, 04:09:27 pm »

  Plus, I couldn't predict it, which is basically my standard for good entertainment.

My standard as well.

I got to Achewood through the talkbass forum. Someone had posted the strip with Teodor saying anyone can bass.
http://achewood.com/index.php?date=01042007
Logged
Three mute birds, walking in procession,

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: How did you first find Achewood?
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2008, 05:40:07 pm »

I alternate between thinking that the bass is so easy, and so hard.

I guess what it comes down to is, it's easy to play the bass (in, say, a rock band) and be completely boring and yet sufficient.
But there are things you can do with the bass that are awesome and add a lot to a song, and these are things I cannot pretend to know how to do.

and then, you know, Mingus. good lord.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

MagFlare

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 16
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 33
    • View Profile
Re: How did you first find Achewood?
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2008, 11:08:53 am »

A coworker of mine left the company to work at Checker Book Publishing a few years ago, right before Checker Book was set to print a volume of Achewood comics. The former coworker said that the deal fell through because Onstad demanded too much creative control.

"What the hell sort of webcomic does this guy run where he needs that sort of control?" I wondered.

Now I know.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: How did you first find Achewood?
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2008, 02:06:55 pm »

OMG, what the hell kind of book company do they run where it's mysterious to them that a creative person wants creative control?

Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: How did you first find Achewood?
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2008, 04:29:56 pm »

Well... I'd assume that publishing companies look at webcomics and think that they're doing their creators a HUGE favor even considering publishing them, you know.

Such as "this guy can't even get in an alternative-weekly newspaper and he's making demands on us?"

I'm not saying its right but it is understandable. If you are a dinosaur about media, you could well think... well, Jesus, we are offering this dude Actual Money and Actual Exposure, he should be sucking our cocks as he signs the contract.

Which probably IS the case for 99.44% of webcomics, really.

However, dude seems to have a merch-driven business model that actually works as a dayjob on a certain scale and so he does not have the desperation built in that "Generic Gamer Comic #43622" or "Look, Ma, I Can Draw Kind of Japanese-ish" has.

I do understand their miscalculation... from a certain point of view.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up