Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood My bicycle is parked in the living room. A tub of tartar sauce sits open on the counter. Truly, the evidence of a wife being away too long.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MST3K...Redux?  (Read 3367 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
MST3K...Redux?
« on: January 15, 2008, 05:20:26 pm »

So, Joel Hodgson (creator of Mystery Science Theater 3000) is at it again. 

Anybody seen it?  I just picked it up off BoingBoing yesterday and I have to say, I'm intrigued. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: MST3K...Redux?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2008, 11:10:27 pm »

I mean, I'll give it a shot... but I'm a huge Mistie-nerd.

I own every legally-released MST3K video and DVD, it's kind of a point of pride thing.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Lister

  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 101
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 892
  • 2, 4, 6, 8, time to transubstantiate!
    • View Profile
Re: MST3K...Redux?
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2008, 02:36:57 pm »

I only made it to one MST3K ConventioCon Expo-Fest-a-Rama.  I feel inadequate.
Logged
Lister.  Not that one, the other one.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: MST3K...Redux?
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2008, 03:40:06 am »

I never went to a ConventioCon (before my time), but every summer I go to an independent MST3K fan-con and watch MST3K with a bunch of people I know via the Internet. (Well, in truth, we have all been going to these conventions long enough that we know each other Not Through The Internet at this point, so we mostly just hang out, but I think it still counts.) Is that nerd-cred enough?
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: MST3K...Redux?
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2008, 03:53:18 am »

Oh, convention-going kicks the shit out of just owning all the DVDs and VHS-tapes.

I am a run-of-the-mill dork in the face of that sorta nerd-cred.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: MST3K...Redux?
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2008, 06:18:44 am »

I ordered this the other day. The preview looks good. I don't know anything about that convention stuff, but the wife and I watch them quite a bit. There are lots of them on google video and I have a bunch of invites to a torrent site that has a ton of them that haven't been commercially released. Shoot me a PM if interested.
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

LCB

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 113
  • ...when you get the blues in the night
    • View Profile
Re: MST3K...Redux?
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2008, 01:43:10 am »

From what I've seen it's interesting. Though from what I hear, what you get is a DVD in an envelope and there's been a few complaints on that score, but I've also heard what you get is a pressed DVD and not a DVD-R.

As for all the other efforts, Rifftrax seems to be doing well. The Film Crew, the venture featuring Nelson, Murphy and Corbett has had four DVD releases from Shout! Factory but again, according to Mr. Corbett those were shot in 2005 and there were complications before Shout! Factory released them, so any further TFC releases don't seem likely. Even the sets were dissassembled a while back. Which is a shame because that was hilarious work they were doing.

CT, however, appears to offer more oppurtunities for the riffers interacting with the screen.
Logged
Which way to the vomitorium, centurion?

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: MST3K...Redux?
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2008, 01:55:17 am »

I'm a big fan of the Film Crew stuff, definitely. Have 'em all.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: MST3K...Redux?
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2008, 09:59:01 pm »

This arrived yesterday and I watched half of it. I'm not totally sold. I haven't really given it a fair shot as of yet. I'll probably buy the next one on principle, no matter how much I end up liking the first episode.

I have to admit that sometimes the different versions of MST3K are a little jarring for me. People debate about Mike and Joel, but I've always liked both of them--the different Crow voices are what I notice most. I also notice different audio mixing levels on the movie vs. commentary (I think this is partly because a lot of the episodes I watch are sourced from old VHS tapes and something gets lost in the degradation/compression).
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: MST3K...Redux?
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2008, 04:10:15 am »

Second half: pretty good.
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: MST3K...Redux?
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2008, 05:02:09 am »

On your good words for it, I have finally ordered it.

If I am disappointed, those sixteen bucks are forever burnt into your soul, sir.

If I am pleased, you get a certificate for ten days off any accrued purgatory.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: MST3K...Redux?
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2008, 05:09:03 am »

If I am pleased, you get a certificate for ten days off any accrued purgatory.

I am going to steal this so much in real life.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

Death Ray

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 4
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 151
    • View Profile
    • Deep Fried, webcomics' dirty little secret
Re: MST3K...Redux?
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2008, 07:37:59 pm »

Just saw the debut installment of Cinematic Titanic yesterday. Not terribly impressed. Too many chefs in the kitchen, and the occasional interruptions by the silhouettes to perform a pseudo-skit is no match for the *****s of MST. Riff Trax, for its inconvenience, is wittier,
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: MST3K...Redux?
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2008, 04:13:15 am »

Real and actual skits are an important part of the deal, I think. The riffing alone, even brilliantly done, leaves something lacking... it forgets the Horror Host roots of the entire premise.

A part of MST3K's DNA goes back to Vampira, man, and without it there is something gone.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

colmore

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 56
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 379
  • Sorry Mom, Sorry Dad, Sorry College
    • View Profile
Re: MST3K...Redux?
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2008, 01:47:00 am »

Well hell, littlefalismets, i'd been staring at 2 and 2 for a long time and had somehow never gotten 4.  I'm not being sarcastic.  Thanks for that one.
Logged
In Capitalist America, bank robs you!
Pages: [1]   Go Up