Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Irish Nachos are a charming take on the original, but I wonder what Uighur Nachos would be like. A mutton leg on a crisped pita?

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How should I carve my pumpkin?  (Read 2817 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Mite

  • Motel 6 Kind of Girl
  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 6
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 584
    • View Profile
How should I carve my pumpkin?
« on: October 28, 2003, 11:52:07 pm »

I bought a pumpkin. I used a very big knife to cut the top off (very gratifying after a crappy day as an urban schoolteacher). I cleaned it out. Now, I'm drawing a blank. What should I carve?

Note: my pumpkin is a little lopsided. It has a nice flat side, but it tilts at about a 60 degree angle of inclination. So anything I carve will either look as though its staring up to the heavens or lying dead somewhere.
Logged
I'm no longer a Bankhead teacher, but I'll still take your cookies.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
How should I carve my pumpkin?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2003, 11:54:40 pm »

Carve a large Pi into the front of it.
Amaze your friends with your wit.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
How should I carve my pumpkin?
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2003, 12:17:46 am »

Ah yes, Pumpkin Pi. I saw that on a t-shirt once.

I've always been a fan of the "cool" pumpkins - one with a smirk, and just holes for the eyes - but, you have to cut little slots in both sides so that they can hold the ends of the hip sunglasses that you put over the eyes.

You could always make your pumpkin look like Ray. Glasses, a thong, medallion, and of course, a martini.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
How should I carve my pumpkin?
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2003, 12:40:31 am »

There's always these brand spankin' h*r stencils

edit: also, you should cut the bottom out of the punkin next time: it leaves a better-looking Jack of the Lantern, and if you carve a hole in the inside of the base, you have an instant candleholder. No more reaching down into the carved punkin with meaty, hammer-like hands!
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

Mite

  • Motel 6 Kind of Girl
  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 6
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 584
    • View Profile
How should I carve my pumpkin?
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2003, 12:50:16 am »

Ok - just ran out to the store to buy 2 more pumpkins and one of those dumb-yet-useful carving kits. I'll try my hand at a little freehand design work, but I'm not particularly confident. I like the homestar stencils, but since I'm already thinking about doing topato, that might be a little nerd-overkill.

But that pi one - genius. If I didn't know my kids would smash it the second it got in the door I'd bring it to my Algebra class.
Logged
I'm no longer a Bankhead teacher, but I'll still take your cookies.

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
How should I carve my pumpkin?
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2003, 01:15:37 am »

I went off the normal look. I'm a fan of the really impressive ones, using half cut to get glows and different shades and then really insanely well done designs, whole images not just a face.
But I never had anywhere near the talent to pull that kind of thing off...
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
How should I carve my pumpkin?
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2003, 04:14:43 am »

With the stencils and the tools even the moderately complex ones come out well,  even for a ham-handed clod like me.  It's all connect the dots.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.
Pages: [1]   Go Up