Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood The next time you appreciate how nice large titties look, be happy and smile to yourself. You deserve it.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Damn you, Oprah!  (Read 11184 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Damn you, Oprah!
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2008, 01:38:17 am »

However, seeing some of the heinous, assholish antiabortion bumper stickers has certainly made me rethink my position.

I'm pro-life* and most of those offend me. 

*Disclaimer: I think abortion is generally a Bad Thing but I think reversing Roe v. Wade is not the way to eliminate it.  I think that we need to minimize to the greatest extent possible the circumstances which lead women to become unintentionally pregnant, including providing reliable, low-cost or free birth control to teenagers.  I also think that the women I know personally who have terminated pregnancies were victims, not criminals, and should be protected under the law, not persecuted by it.  So in a strict sense I'm pro-life, but try not to hold that against me.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Damn you, Oprah!
« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2008, 03:05:37 am »

I learned from my mother that men shouldn't pretend to have an opinion on the matter. I'll never know what its like to be pregnant by choice, accident, or crime and I won't pretend I do.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: Damn you, Oprah!
« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2008, 03:19:39 am »

That's a bit unfair. I have an opinion on the matter. I've donated to NARAL in the past. I probably will again.

What I find a bit more unfair is the tendency for legislation on the matter to be voted upon by august bodies made up mostly of old rich white men, the demographic least likely to find itself involved in contemplating such a decision.

U.S. out of my uterus!... or, uh, hers.
Logged

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Damn you, Oprah!
« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2008, 03:31:55 am »

Any minute I'm expecting wombat to stick her head in here and implore us to not discuss Such Issues. Really, it's a discussion that isn't really fit for polite company. Except when I'm in the company of all-choice friends.
Logged

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Damn you, Oprah!
« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2008, 03:35:47 am »

Unless I am missing something, that is completely wrong, and nothing, nothing, makes me madder then a woman telling me that I can't have an opinion over that.  Uh, you know, that baby didn't come from nowhere.  I don't care what your opinion is (to some extent) but I mean, it takes two.  That is all I am saying.  (this was to A-CAP, linnea is right probably, but, well, I already typed.)
 
Also, re:bumper stickers- I would not be afraid to put a bumper sticker on my car, but I think it is about the worst way we as a species have devised to communicate.  The only bumper stickers I have ever had were a Dean 04 (in OK that is pretty bad) and a "If you think it is hard to put on a condom try it with paws.  Have your pets spayed and neutered" that I got from the vet I worked at.  Edit agian-  That actually tied together the topics, so there is that.


Edit:  Linnea- Bill Hicks joke that I don't want to be responsible for.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2008, 03:40:03 am by KeithHernandez »
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Damn you, Oprah!
« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2008, 03:37:55 am »

my car at home has a "Washington University in St Louis" sticker.
if I had one here, I would put a KWUR 90.3 FM sticker on it. but I don't have a car, so.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Damn you, Oprah!
« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2008, 04:35:06 am »

Whats great about the debate, however, is that all of us agree that GWB fucked up. Personally, Im looking forward to the movies and documentaries about just how ridiculous this whole disgrace was.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Damn you, Oprah!
« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2008, 05:00:06 am »

Eggxactly
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Damn you, Oprah!
« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2008, 02:56:26 pm »

Any minute I'm expecting wombat to stick her head in here and implore us to not discuss Such Issues. Really, it's a discussion that isn't really fit for polite company. Except when I'm in the company of all-choice friends.

I'm just wondering how the hell we got here from a discussion of Meerkat Manor.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Damn you, Oprah!
« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2008, 03:13:18 pm »

I'm just wondering how the hell we got here from a discussion of Meerkat Manor.

At least this thread stayed away from breast-size and pubic hair preferences. For now.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Damn you, Oprah!
« Reply #40 on: January 17, 2008, 03:27:32 pm »


Quote
At least this thread stayed away from breast-size and pubic hair preferences. For now.

Didn't you hear about Discovery's other new show?
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Damn you, Oprah!
« Reply #41 on: January 17, 2008, 04:22:12 pm »

Didn't you hear about Discovery's other new show?

They test the buoyancy of various sizes and densities of breasts. Plus the aerodynamics of pubic hair. Episode 2 is saline vs. silicone.
Logged

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Damn you, Oprah!
« Reply #42 on: January 17, 2008, 06:39:23 pm »

They test the buoyancy of various sizes and densities of breasts. Plus the aerodynamics of pubic hair. Episode 2 is saline vs. silicone.
I wonder if the Olympic swimmers shave?  Mmmm, the games are almost here!
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Damn you, Oprah!
« Reply #43 on: January 17, 2008, 09:41:56 pm »

Also, re:bumper stickers- I would not be afraid to put a bumper sticker on my car, but I think it is about the worst way we as a species have devised to communicate.  The only bumper stickers I have ever had were a Dean 04 (in OK that is pretty bad) and a "If you think it is hard to put on a condom try it with paws.  Have your pets spayed and neutered" that I got from the vet I worked at.  Edit agian-  That actually tied together the topics, so there is that.


You get a can for that because I am in complete agreement.  I would not be afraid to put any bumper sticker on my car, but bumper stickers suck so I don't put them on my car.  I did put one on a my friends truck.

Here's a car with bumper stickers I like.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Damn you, Oprah!
« Reply #44 on: January 17, 2008, 10:08:00 pm »

Here's a car with bumper stickers I like.
I especially like the Jesus pinwheel design:
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up