Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Alright, America. I'm playing the underpants and pants game. If just for one more day.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: It's the End of the World As We Know It  (Read 8859 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
It's the End of the World As We Know It
« on: January 16, 2008, 03:32:17 am »

Surely one of the biggest bands in the world, a band who has indisputably left its mark on music, a band that defined a genre in the 1980's, a band that fought off aneurysms, homophobia, and one of the worst unibrows ever... couldn't be shown up by a bunch of Internet nerds who, for geographical reasons, could never hope to get into a studio together. Surely they would never be shown up with one of their own songs.

I'm not so sure.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: It's the End of the World As We Know It
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2008, 03:45:53 am »

um, I love REM. Their style is, to a large degree, what I want the band I am in to sound like. Jangle! Murmur(ing)! Arpeggios!
I want to be somewhere between them, the Violent Femmes, and the Feelies.

(Un)fortunately, by definition a band has more than 1 person in it, and the drummer, other guitarist, and bass player have other ideas.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2008, 03:50:40 am by theinevitable »
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: It's the End of the World As We Know It
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2008, 03:48:11 am »

So this is just a bunch of kids on the intarwub who did a cover of ITEOTWAWKI(AIFF)? What's the newsworthiness of this? I don't get it.
Logged

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: It's the End of the World As We Know It
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2008, 03:55:07 am »

Nothing terribly newsworthy about it. I just really really really like it. It helps that I like the "real" version too, I suppose. I think I'm jealous of the talent it must've taken to coordinate the effort. I know jack shit about music, but I know enough to realize the undertaking it took to do it - for no other reason than "just because."
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: It's the End of the World As We Know It
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2008, 04:06:40 am »

I 100% percented "Orange Crush" on medium-bass in "Rock Band" last night... my first perfect score on medium ever.

Realistically, this is basically as relevant in terms of REM news.

(I bought the REM Best-Of CD and my brother accused me of no longer having a c*ck because of that. I pretty much had no comeback... I don't like most REM but a few of their songs are pretty good.)
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: It's the End of the World As We Know It
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2008, 04:12:54 am »

fuck, seriously LFM? My roommates refuse to play Orange Crush because apparently the drum part is really hard. I really like playing Bass on that song, and I get a little too into it I think... I make hell of rock star poses. Or, not really poses, but I do the broad-legged stance thing, swing my arm, etc.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: It's the End of the World As We Know It
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2008, 04:33:34 am »

I sit down and play, very placidly, Robert Fripp-style.

The more emotion I put into it, the less good I am.

I am on the cusp being being really good at medium and getting competent at hard, right now, but my big problem is that I do not practice much because I do not own the game... I play on my friend's X-Box maybe twice a week.

Drumming on "Rock Band" is insanely hard, too insanely hard.

It is the underwater levels on TMNT for NES of the 21st Century.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: It's the End of the World As We Know It
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2008, 04:37:58 am »

I mean, it is basically like real drumming. 2 of my roommates are actually pretty good at it now. A guy on the other end of the hall bought a drum kit and these really thick pads so he can play it and have it be really really quiet... and half a dozen guys on my floor can basically play really basic real drums now, because playing Rock Band teaches you the hand/other hand/foot coordination you need to play drums.

It is interesting to me how horrible almost everyone is at singing. Also, for some reason the parts I can't do on that game are the parts where... you just have to consistently hit one "note" with an even rhythm. I am horrible at that.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: It's the End of the World As We Know It
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2008, 04:47:43 am »

Oh, I am horrific as a singer too... and this is the biggest flaw with "Rock Band" still...

A computer still can't judge you on how well you sing, it can only judge you on how close you sing to the track on the computer. I can't sing without vamping and ad-libbing.

Technically perfect singing is nothing like really good singing.

Drums are tough as hell, the way it scores singing is counter-intuitive and the guy who owns the X-Box can play some songs on expert so... that leaves me playing the bassamatar.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: It's the End of the World As We Know It
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2008, 04:48:48 am »

Back on topic: Man, I dunno. There's some really nice instrumentation on this cover, but I honestly don't like the vocals. They seem like Hong Kong Bootleg Stipe at their best, "some dude desperately trying to get through karaoke" at worst.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: It's the End of the World As We Know It
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2008, 06:19:12 am »

What's the point of a cover?

Surely it's not to sound a much like the original as possible?  If there's any "art" to be derived from singing someone else's song, it's gotta be found in the way the performer makes the song their own. 

I didn't think this version added, changed or improved much.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: It's the End of the World As We Know It
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2008, 06:56:44 am »

I'm with you, there, Auggie-Doggie.

There should totally be some kind of twist involved in the cover or else don't do it.

Jimi Hendrix, for example, put the twist on "All Along The Watchtower" insofar as actually being a good singer and guitar player.

An all-female rock group did a cover of "Fat Bottom Girls" that I heard on a friend's myspace and... though they were only meh as performers, there was something to be said for the twist of having a song written by a gay man, obstensively about the benefits of heavier ladies when actually about heavier men, being sung by a lady.

It was a good twist.

GNR taking McCartney's kinda orchestral kinda standardy "Live and Let Die" and turning it into a hard-arena-rock song is another good example.

The Wallflowers' twist on "heroes" was making it terrible, as a negative example.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: It's the End of the World As We Know It
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2008, 06:58:21 am »

the things that are different are places where the thing I like is missing. Guitar less ringing and twangy, voice less awesome...
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: It's the End of the World As We Know It
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2008, 07:04:52 am »

I hated the cover.  REM are not a band to cover.  But since I was a kid, I always thought REM were pretty boring.  Maybe they were just overplayed on the radio.  I remember going on car trips, half hour each way, and hearing REM three times in the day.
Logged
ACHIEVE

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: It's the End of the World As We Know It
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2008, 07:08:29 am »


Jimi Hendrix, for example, put the twist on "All Along The Watchtower" insofar as actually being a good singer and guitar player.


This was the default example my mind immediately clicked on.  Great Dylan song, greater Hendrix cover version.

"I Shot the Sherriff" also comes to mind.  Like or hate Clapton's version, it's clearly his own.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up