Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
That the second best way to sound like a noob is to ask why robot and pants are censored?

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: It's the End of the World As We Know It  (Read 8872 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: It's the End of the World As We Know It
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2008, 07:16:48 am »

REM are not a band to cover.
Why not?

 
Quote
But since I was a kid, I always thought REM were pretty boring.  Maybe they were just overplayed on the radio.  I remember going on car trips, half hour each way, and hearing REM three times in the day.

Weird.  I can pretty much pinpoint the first time I heard "Radio Free Europe" and it was pretty obscure and esoteric at the time.  They were cutting edge when I was 17.  So it's hard for me to think of them as boring.

But you're absolutely right -- REM became the band of the 90's.  Losing My Religion?  Shining Happy People? Great songs, no doubt, but not obscure or esoteric in any way shape or form.

Hell, people say The Beatles are boring these days.  The kids don't appreciate JS Bach anymore.  What are you gonna do?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: It's the End of the World As We Know It
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2008, 08:11:22 am »

Why not?

Hm.  Well I guess the interesting thing, to me, about covering a song is deconstructing it, make it more ambiguous, add a little garnish.  All the REM I'm familiar with is already pretty deconstructed.  There isn't much you can do with the songs without making them new songs


Hell, people say The Beatles are boring these days.
.

Oh, now you're just talkin' crazy.  No kids in this town say any of that.  Plus, the data collected by Facebook claims that of my university's favorite music, the Beatles are in the top two most often listed.  Possibly number one, I can't remember.

If anything, the decreased attention span of the internet generation has made the Beatles more popular.
Logged
ACHIEVE

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: It's the End of the World As We Know It
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2008, 09:34:05 am »

It was ok, I probably would have liked it more if they'd played up the banjo (I think it was  banjo) sound a bit more, I always dig bluegrass style covers of pop songs. There's a good version of 'I don't feel like dancing' floating around somewhere.
Edit: Apparently I'm referring to 'Hayseed dixie' and bluegrass pop appears to be their thing. It may be I'm the only person who was not aware of this.

On a tangent: looking at all the people listed in the making of it reminded me how much I like screen names. I'm fairly sure as more and more people go online actual names will eventually become more common than pseudonyms and it kind of depresses me, I like the idea that the internet still allows one to be whoever you want.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: It's the End of the World As We Know It
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2008, 09:46:07 am »

The thing about REM is that it's like a lot of bands -- the really interesting stuff doesn't hit the singles. I like "Losing My Religion" as much as anyone, and I'm even prepared to defend "Shiny Happy People," but the real gems are stuff that's buried on the albums. I need to get off my ass and actually make my two-disc all-REM no-single mix.
Logged

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: It's the End of the World As We Know It
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2008, 09:52:23 am »

Yeah, I am meh on the song.

The cover example though, The Clash- Police and Thieves or (only because it is R.E.M.) R.E.M.- King of The Road.

Also, very pro R.E.M., the ony albums I can listen to all the way through are the first two though.  After that they have some very good songs (orange crush, what's the frequency Kenneth, etc.) and some not so great but passable songs.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: It's the End of the World As We Know It
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2008, 02:53:04 pm »

A year or two a go a guy named Matthew Taylor released a bunch of Pixies covers that he'd recording as other bands. So it's him imitating Sinatra doing Monkey Gone to Heaven. Or Tina Turner doing River Euphrates. They're actually pretty entertaining. And since he only did like 6 of them the concept didn't get too old.
Logged

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: It's the End of the World As We Know It
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2008, 03:02:39 pm »

My first band (the one that lasted about four months, not the one I really consider "my band from college" that stayed together three years) covered "Orange Crush."

I sang "Peanut Buuuu-huuutter" during the chorus, because really who knows what the hell Stipe is saying there.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: It's the End of the World As We Know It
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2008, 03:04:55 pm »

Best covers ever:

Johnny Cash: Personal Jesus
Nina Gordon: Straight Outta Compton MP3 HERE
Sheryl Crow: Sweet Child O' Mine
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: It's the End of the World As We Know It
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2008, 06:38:30 pm »

Also, Johnny Cash's cover of "Hurt." As far as I'm concerned, that's the only version of the song there ever was.
Logged

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: It's the End of the World As We Know It
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2008, 06:49:08 pm »

Nina Gordon: Straight Outta Compton MP3 HERE
I head that one on the Brewing Network the other night and it had me howling.  Such a sweet voice - such a raw song.  I thought it was Jewel at the time - the mental image of her all gangsta was probably the best part.  I'll have to find a pic of Nina Gordon to update my impression.

Sheryl Crow: Sweet Child O' Mine
I liked that one too, but I like a lot of her stuff.  I was a big GNR fan, and the contrast of her melodic voice vs Axl Rose's scratchier howl is amusing.  Also, its always intriguing when women sing love songs that have other women as the subject.

It would be even hotter if she had covered Anything Goes.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: It's the End of the World As We Know It
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2008, 05:55:34 am »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ltjbnyvq_SI

Best cover of Baby Got Back ever.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Lister

  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 101
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 892
  • 2, 4, 6, 8, time to transubstantiate!
    • View Profile
Re: It's the End of the World As We Know It
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2008, 07:04:37 pm »

I don't remember when the music industry changed from "Lots of people singing the same songs" to "covers," but I think it happened in the early seventies.

So by that standard, Wilson Pickett's "Land of a thousand dances" doesn't count as a cover, but it is still awesome.  I also enjoy his version of "Hey Jude."

The Bangles' "Hazy Shade of Winter" is a great cover that few people know is a cover.

Snoop Dogg's cover of "We will rock you" is horrible, but still interesting in a train wreck kind of way.  Queen is a band that shouldn't be covered, in my opinion... but their version of "Crazy little thing called love" is pretty good.  I guess Muse has the chops to cover Queen.  Have they?

Man, someday I'm gonna make that all-covers mix disc.  Right after I get over the fact that I can't make a perfect mix disc (what with levels and bit rate and correct tags and such).
Logged
Lister.  Not that one, the other one.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: It's the End of the World As We Know It
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2008, 07:22:25 pm »

Quote
The Bangles' "Hazy Shade of Winter" is a great cover that few people know is a cover.

really? Hazy Shade of Winter is fantastic, I love that song. I have not heard their version, though.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up