Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Yay us!
Happy 9th Birthday to TOUAMB.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: It's the End of the World As We Know It  (Read 8861 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: It's the End of the World As We Know It
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2008, 08:49:26 pm »

good lord. that cover of Hazy Shade of Winter is another case where... everything I love about the original song is gone.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: It's the End of the World As We Know It
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2008, 09:14:36 pm »

good lord. that cover of Hazy Shade of Winter is another case where... everything I love about the original song is gone.

Well, you can't have gone into that with your hopes high.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: It's the End of the World As We Know It
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2008, 09:28:52 pm »

I like how it's basically almost an entirely different song. But seriously, people don't know it's a cover?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: It's the End of the World As We Know It
« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2008, 10:12:09 pm »

It's a completely different song, but it's still a good song. Most like that I don't even try to process as covers, really.
Logged

chuanoplast

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 33
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 234
  • Most Painful Part
    • View Profile
    • Stupid Blog
Re: It's the End of the World As We Know It
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2008, 01:31:55 pm »

The kids don't appreciate JS Bach anymore.  What are you gonna do?

Yeah, all the kids these days are blastin' that DANGED Mahler on their fancy cat stereos. What has the world come to?
My brother does this to confuse people.

Logged
The most important decision in my life: the rabbit mug or the monkey mug. (PS I GOT THE KITTY MUG)

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: It's the End of the World As We Know It
« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2008, 07:25:18 am »

Well, you can't have gone into that with your hopes high.

I gotta defend the Bangles here. After rereading the Martha Quinn thread, I must say I would kick her to the curb for Suzanna Hoffs.
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: It's the End of the World As We Know It
« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2008, 03:36:49 pm »

I gotta defend the Bangles here. After rereading the Martha Quinn thread, I must say I would kick her to the curb for Suzanna Hoffs.

Hey, hey! Don't make me out to be dogging on Suzanna Hoffs - she might read this! I just meant if you are a big fan of the S&G, you might be disappointed by the Bangles' version of the song. Also, inev just seemed like the type of guy who might really find the cover to be lacking.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: It's the End of the World As We Know It
« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2008, 07:25:36 pm »

yeah, for real, there are some Bangles songs that are awesome.

For some reason, though, I just remembered that my parents told me when I was a kid that they were the first band with only women in it.
Even then, I said "there's no way that can be true."
But of course at the time, they just said that I didn't understand, people didn't used to believe in equality for women, blah blah.

The current version of that is when my dad tries to convince me that the music he liked in college was "edgy."
My favorite my parents moment, though, in regards to rock music, is when my dad asked me to turn down the Hendrix album I was blasting, said "daniel... I always knew once you were in high school, you'd like loud, obnoxious music that I hate. I just... I never thought it would be music that came out when I was 12 years old."
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: It's the End of the World As We Know It
« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2008, 12:11:25 am »

The current version of that is when my dad tries to convince me that the music he liked in college was "edgy."

My favorite my parents moment, though, in regards to rock music, is when my dad asked me to turn down the Hendrix album I was blasting, said "daniel... I always knew once you were in high school, you'd like loud, obnoxious music that I hate. I just... I never thought it would be music that came out when I was 12 years old."

Well, based on the second part, it's possiible that he was listening to edgy music in college - Clash, Talking Heads, Television . . . he didn't mean Fleetwood Mac and the Eagles, did he?
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: It's the End of the World As We Know It
« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2008, 12:49:55 am »

he listened to Fleetwood Mac and the Eagles, but mostly he was talking about Bruce Springsteen. "I don't care what you say, daniel, Springsteen was the edgiest thing around when I was your age."
And Neal Young, so I guess he gets a plus for that.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: It's the End of the World As We Know It
« Reply #40 on: January 26, 2008, 01:19:24 am »

he listened to Fleetwood Mac and the Eagles, but mostly he was talking about Bruce Springsteen. "I don't care what you say, daniel, Springsteen was the edgiest thing around when I was your age."
And Neal Young, so I guess he gets a plus for that.

Is that Cowboy Neal Young?
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: It's the End of the World As We Know It
« Reply #41 on: January 27, 2008, 05:41:11 am »

yeah, for real, there are some Bangles songs that are awesome.

For some reason, though, I just remembered that my parents told me when I was a kid that they were the first band with only women in it.


Edgy band with all girls? Previous to the Bangles (1975!!)? How about the Runaways?

Now I gotta pick between Lita Ford, Suzanna Hoffs and Martha Quinn?

GOD BLESS THE EIGHTIES!!!
« Last Edit: January 27, 2008, 05:47:00 am by AlohaDawg »
Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up