Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Today's sad thing: A reeking tweaker couple looking in the gas station freezer for "that pizza that was good in the microwave last time."

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Changing the US Constitution? (Danger, there be politics here...)  (Read 7736 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile

Mike Huckabee wants to amend the Constitution to "God's standards".
http://www.salon.com/politics/war_room/2008/01/15/huckabee/index.html
http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2008/01/15/579265.aspx

    "I have opponents in this race who do not want to change the Constitution," Huckabee told a Michigan audience on Monday. "But I believe it's a lot easier to change the Constitution than it would be to change the word of the living god. And that's what we need to do — to amend the Constitution so it's in God's standards rather than try to change God's standards so it lines up with some contemporary view."

I'm speechless. What do you think about this? What the fuck is he going on about? How do you folks think the presidential race is shaping up?
« Last Edit: January 17, 2008, 12:08:30 am by Asherdan »
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Changing the US Constitution?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2008, 10:14:21 pm »

I don't know if I've ranted this rant here or not but...

Huckabee scares me to the fuck*ng BONE, man. Full-on. Dude strikes me as the Manchurian Candidate for some kind of organization dedicated to making the Rapture occur in their lifetimes.

He comes off so... nice, you know... fatherly or cool-uncly... plays the bass guitar, smiles nice and wide, the total "have a beer with" guy in this election, loses weight in election stunts and then...

Oh, by the way, he does not believe in science at all, wants to fight AIDS by setting up concentration camps for gays and... wants every third word in the Constitution replaced with "God" and... fuck knows what else that I haven't heard of yet.

So. fuck*ng. Ridiculously scary. You know this guy stays up reading Revelation trying to find out where he's predicted in it and shit.

Not to be glib but it is fair to say... I hate Huckabee.

I'm basically for Clinton, she's smart as hell and she'll probably do as much good as she can without undermining her own powerbase and... like... that's all you can reasonably expect out of a politician. She's way the fuck too quick to compromise her ideals to gain/keep power but... they're all politicians running for president, you know.

Edwards is saying good stuff about health care and the middle class.

Obama... dude is just so vague and wispy in what he has to say that I can't buy it. Yes, being positive is nice and all but... okay, positive thinking, Jesus and Dr. King and... do you have any stances on things, Mr. Obama? No? Just all vague optimism and vague Christian rhetoric, huh? Sorry.

I'll vote for him over any Republican, of course, but more as a protest vote than anything.

Romney's pure Machiavellian will-to-power and is relatively harmless as he has no real beliefs or convictions and would be rendered mostly-harmless even if the South would vote for a Mormon which... they will not.

Guilani's such a supreme douchebag that even the douchebags in the RNC don't like him.

Thompson's a photocopy of a cardboard cut-out of an artist's conception of a politician.

McCain used to have ideals and beliefs and sold them all out to the Bushes for one more grab at the brass ring... he's interesting as a Shakespearian kinda tragedy but ain't no churchies votin' for him and so he's basically fucked.

As long as it ain't fuckin' Huckabee.

fuck*ng. Frightening. The worst kinda human being, willfully ignorant but well spoken as hell.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Changing the US Constitution?
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2008, 10:20:32 pm »

Everyone in this race but Ron Paul scares the crap out of me. Huckabee wants to make america the christian version of the taliban's afghanistan or saudi arabia. Mitt Romney said his favorite book is Battlefield Earth by L Ron Hubbard (What!?)
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Changing the US Constitution?
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2008, 10:26:45 pm »

Jesus
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Changing the US Constitution?
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2008, 11:13:27 pm »

Ron Paul? really? everything that man says scares me. Almost every position he has is one that I disagree with.

In re: Obama not having stances. Well, um, There are ways to figure out what he thinks. The "empty optimism" you mention only reminds me of some freaking great presidents we've had. I like this man.

The prospect of Hilary is utterly off-putting to me because I feel like it'd just be another 4-8 years where half the country was just pissed off about everything the president did.

McCain broke my heart. This speech he gave about why the US can't permit torture of "enemy combatants" or terrorists or whatever was one of the best things I've heard in my life. Now he's all pandery and... ew. My friend from high-school is the head of "College Students for McCain" or "The McCain Student Coalition" or something like that, and she is really into him.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Changing the US Constitution?
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2008, 11:19:39 pm »

Ron Paul? really? everything that man says scares me. Almost every position he has is one that I disagree with.
His only position is that he wants to abide by the constitution. Thats it.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Changing the US Constitution?
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2008, 11:27:22 pm »

His only position is that he wants to abide by the constitution. Thats it.

I am repulsed by his paternalistic subjugation of women, and I'm pretty sure that shit is nowhere in the Constitution.
Logged

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Changing the US Constitution?
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2008, 11:34:19 pm »

I am repulsed by his paternalistic subjugation of women, and I'm pretty sure that shit is nowhere in the Constitution.
Say what? Hes a gynecologist for christ's sake. And he doesnt want to take away your right to have an abortion, but hes not going to make a federal case. A dude can have a personal belief that differs from his policy. 
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Changing the US Constitution?
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2008, 11:36:06 pm »

Exactly. I guess you're not really familiar with his position on basic rights for women.

Anyway, despite our divergent political views, I bought Ani DiFranco's "Canon" on your recommendation and love it. I've never really listened to her before, but she's great.
Logged

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Changing the US Constitution? (Danger, there be politics here...)
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2008, 12:19:29 am »

Jeff Rowland posted a link to this, which is the funniest/most horrifying thing I've read. I think it ties in nicely with our Huckabee conversation.
Logged

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: Changing the US Constitution? (Danger, there be politics here...)
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2008, 12:23:21 am »

That's the thing that scares me about Huckabee. I watch him on TV, and I like him. He's funny. I just disagree with him on 95% of his views. I'm cool with him on immigration, which is what the people who will vote for him don't like. "If only he was tougher on immigration, he'd be perfect."

If there was ever time for a sensible, middle-of-the-road party to rise from nowhere and take it all, this is the time. It makes me sad that everything it set up to make that damn near impossible.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Changing the US Constitution? (Danger, there be politics here...)
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2008, 12:28:49 am »

well, yeah. But he then uses the "following the constitution" thing to take positions that I disagree with. Things that... quite frankly, if the constitution says that these are the right positions, there is something wrong with the constitution as far as I am concerned.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Changing the US Constitution? (Danger, there be politics here...)
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2008, 12:50:55 am »

Okay, so if a devout church-every-week Jesus freak like me is terrified of Huckabee, you know he's bad. 

I mean, maybe I'm more liberal than my religious dedication would suggest, but if'n you ask me, amending the constitution to uphold Biblical standards is...not really what this country is about.  And while I'm first and foremost a Christian, the second thing I am is an American, and I do believe in constitutional principles. 

Separation of Church and State.  That's what it's all about, kids. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

AlohaDawg

  • Moderator
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: Changing the US Constitution? (Danger, there be politics here...)
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2008, 05:33:27 am »

Ron Paul is dead already.
Fred Thompson is dead already.
Giulani is on a ventilator.
McCain isn't republican enough to ever get nominated. He would be a better 3rd party candidate because his best hope would be crossover votes.
Kucinich was never alive.
Huckabee vs Romney.
Clinton vs Obama.


Sadly, I've been pondering for some time that it's very possible that the democratic race will come down to a large number of people struggling with voting for a woman or a black man, and then the general election will come down to a large number of people voting against a woman or a black man. Or possibly against the Mormon. Or against the guy whose middle name is 'Hussein'.

This is not my position, of course, but America is unfortunately stiill populated heavily by people with this kind of thinking. I'm not happy with any of the candidates yet. If I had to choose, I'd choose someone with solid administrative experience. I th ink governors make better presidents than legislators. But this one will be tough and the economy is going to be SO BAD in a year or two that I don't envy whoever wins.



J
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Changing the US Constitution? (Danger, there be politics here...)
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2008, 06:04:58 am »

I imagined this in terms of "Animal House", you know...

"Paul... DEAD! Thompson... DEAD!" etc.

Personally, I reckon that Hilary's got a lot more people who'll refused to give her a chance because she's a Clinton than because she's got a pu$$y... the hard right will just never get over how effectively Bill would dodge them and dunk over 'em time and time again...

Getting them to say "Clinton" without it sounding like a swear word, you might as well be trying to get Mr. Mixed Pickles to say his name backwards.

51% of the voting population has pu$$ys, after all, but the Rush Limbaughs of the world basically live to hate Bill for gaming them so... spectacularly and gloriously... that they've made "Clinton" a curse.

That's a lot more problematic.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up