Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

"Artists need to make money to eat and to continue to make art. Artists used to rely on middlemen to collect their money on their behalf, thereby rendering themselves innocent of cash-handling in the public eye. Artists will now be coming straight to you (yes YOU, you who want their music, their films, their books) for their paychecks. Please welcome them. Please help them. Please do not make them feel badly about asking you directly for money.” -Amanda Palmer

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Bobby Fischer is dead!  (Read 10209 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Bobby Fischer is dead!
« on: January 18, 2008, 08:01:14 pm »

http://www.mercurynews.com/ci_8010009

I guess 64 isn't crazy young to be dying, especially considering he had some sort of kidney disease - but I was pretty surprised when that headline popped out of my RSS.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Bobby Fischer is dead!
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2008, 08:45:46 pm »

I guess I'll stop searching for him.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Bobby Fischer is dead!
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2008, 08:58:21 pm »

I guess I'll stop searching for him.

Why? He ought to be much easier to find now.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Bobby Fischer is dead!
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2008, 10:39:08 pm »

That's pretty nice work, A-Dub.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Bobby Fischer is dead!
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2008, 10:46:41 pm »

That's pretty nice work, A-Dub.

August West -- Making jokes about dead guys since 1975!
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Bobby Fischer is dead!
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2008, 04:33:45 am »

Probably easier to beat him now.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Bobby Fischer is dead!
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2008, 05:30:54 am »

No, no, no: Bobby Fischer is captured. If there's one thing I learned about chess during elementary Gifted & Talented classes, it's that nothing gets killed in chess!
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Bobby Fischer is dead!
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2008, 06:00:44 am »

You got tagged as a freak and separated from your classmates with a Gifted and Talented class, too?

Neat. We definitely need some kind of survivor's therapy group for that sorta thing.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Bobby Fischer is dead!
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2008, 06:34:06 am »

No, no, no: Bobby Fischer is captured. If there's one thing I learned about chess during elementary Gifted & Talented classes, it's that nothing gets killed in chess!

Nice.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: Bobby Fischer is dead!
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2008, 06:54:42 am »

If there's such a thing as a big chessboard-box in the sky, he's laying in it, just waitin' for the next game.
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Bobby Fischer is dead!
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2008, 07:53:55 am »

You got tagged as a freak and separated from your classmates with a Gifted and Talented class, too?

Neat. We definitely need some kind of survivor's therapy group for that sorta thing.

This wasn't actually traumatic in my case, admittedly, since in that school district "Gifted & Talented" basically meant "a couple of hours a week out of class off doing fun stuff like playing chess and fuck*ng around on Apple ][s for no better reason than 'enrichment'", and that was an idea I could get behind.
Logged

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Bobby Fischer is dead!
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2008, 08:11:06 am »

This wasn't actually traumatic in my case, admittedly, since in that school district "Gifted & Talented" basically meant "a couple of hours a week out of class off doing fun stuff like playing chess and fuck*ng around on Apple ][s for no better reason than 'enrichment'", and that was an idea I could get behind.

Been there done that, also really fun.  So much Oregon Trail.

However, we had these standardized tests in high school, english sophomore year and history junior.  I scored perfect on both and in junior year they tried to make me go to honors english, and I definitely refused.  Knowing what I know now, it would not have helped me at all prepare for college (if it was like other high school honors classes) so I think it was a good idea to have fun. 

Just to clarify, I am not trying to brag.  I don't believe in standardized tests at all.  I am not that intelligent.  It might speak about Oklahoma's public education system, though. 

Anyhow, just remembered mancala, too.  I used to be bad ass at that game in 4th and 5th grade.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Bobby Fischer is dead!
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2008, 03:00:47 pm »

You got tagged as a freak and separated from your classmates with a Gifted and Talented class, too?

Neat. We definitely need some kind of survivor's therapy group for that sorta thing.

I got separated from the whole world in a separate school. Can I join your group or does that make me way too much of a freak even for you guys?

Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Bobby Fischer is dead!
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2008, 03:19:25 pm »

See, A-Adore's comment is why there should be some accomodation for me wanting to give someone 5 cans at once, somehow. That was perfectly done.

Anybody ever read the Fredric Brown story where it's told from the perspective of a pawn, not understanding why after they won the battle and captured the enemy king he got tossed in a giant cardboard box? I love me some Fredric Brown.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Bobby Fischer is dead!
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2008, 05:23:57 pm »

This wasn't actually traumatic in my case, admittedly, since in that school district "Gifted & Talented" basically meant "a couple of hours a week out of class off doing fun stuff like playing chess and fuck*ng around on Apple ][s for no better reason than 'enrichment'", and that was an idea I could get behind.

I really loved the GT classes that I got to take. Fun times, plus none of the bullies were in those classes.
wombat, I wish I had gotten to go to a whole 'nother school. That would have been great.
Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up