Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I am composing a tone poem about eagles, lawnmowers, and Ted Nugent. It is composed only of the sounds of those things.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Bobby Fischer is dead!  (Read 10205 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Bobby Fischer is dead!
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2008, 06:59:26 pm »

Anybody ever read the Fredric Brown story where it's told from the perspective of a pawn, not understanding why after they won the battle and captured the enemy king he got tossed in a giant cardboard box? I love me some Fredric Brown.

I hear you.  I had a "Best of Fredric Brown" short story collection that was fantastic.  Wonder what I did with that.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Bobby Fischer is dead!
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2008, 08:09:37 pm »

I hear you.  I had a "Best of Fredric Brown" short story collection that was fantastic.  Wonder what I did with that.

Oh jesus Fred. I was in that Pike Street Market in Seattle one time and they had a 10-book collection of all his pulp mystery work for $200 total (in hardback). I didn't buy it. Later I found three of them softbound (on three different occasions) and bought them, but those are the only ones they put out in trade paper. Right now one of the hardbound volumes goes for $1500. All told it'd probably be $7500 to get the set. Fuck me in the ear for not buying them back then. Fuck me so hard.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Bobby Fischer is dead!
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2008, 08:28:11 pm »

Hm. I have never been able to play chess. I have spent my life having people tell me that I should be really good at it. I have never gotten it.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Bobby Fischer is dead!
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2008, 08:33:11 pm »

Hm. I have never been able to play chess. I have spent my life having people tell me that I should be really good at it. I have never gotten it.

Dude, you aren't the guy who spent 50 years on top of a flagpole.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: Bobby Fischer is dead!
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2008, 08:36:49 pm »

My GT classes in elementary school were less-crowded versions of my regular classes - all of the popular kids were also the smart kids. They were also the white kids in a predominantly black school. I got in on the basis of being smart (and, on cynical reflection, white), but not being popular, it was just like regular class as far as being the kid that didn't get talked to very much.

Mrs. Haus went to a completely different school for a couple years in her school division. I thought that would have been preferable, but after talking to her, I'm not so sure. The GT kids got fed back into the regular schools in sixth grade, and by then her old friends had kinda moved on, as had she.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Bobby Fischer is dead!
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2008, 08:51:37 pm »

what? 50 years on top of a flagpole?

I mean, I have spent my life so far.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Bobby Fischer is dead!
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2008, 09:09:12 pm »

what? 50 years on top of a flagpole?

I mean, I have spent my life so far.

Yeah, it's just a funny construction to use for someone who is younger. Not as bad as hearing a six-year-old say "all my life I've had to deal with this" but it's just funny.

Also, you should be spending your life chasing tail, not listening to people babble about chess. Get some priorities, son!
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Bobby Fischer is dead!
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2008, 09:14:29 pm »

all of the popular kids were also the smart kids.

WTF!?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Bobby Fischer is dead!
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2008, 09:27:26 pm »

My GT classes were basically 2 hours a week in a boiler room where we played mind puzzles like "a man is found hanging in a room, dead, with nothing else in the room but a puddle of water, how did this happen?" The upside was that once you got into GT the teachers just automatically figured you were smart and gave you As. This meager program ended in 6th grade.
It has always been a thing of anger with me that the GT kids got 2 hours in a boiler room, and the retarded kids got an entire part of the building and millions in funding. Maybe if towns put more into cultivating the gifted and talented students, they wouldn't have Brain Drain problems.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Bobby Fischer is dead!
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2008, 09:39:15 pm »

WTF!?
Golfhaus is apparently from Bizzaro-world.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Bobby Fischer is dead!
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2008, 09:49:44 pm »

My GT classes in elementary school were less-crowded versions of my regular classes - all of the popular kids were also the smart kids. They were also the white kids in a predominantly black school.

Yeah, WTF? Are there words missing here?
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: Bobby Fischer is dead!
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2008, 10:01:01 pm »

To be fair, they weren't the popular kids because they were the smart kids. They were the popular kids because they were the white kids. My early elementary years were in a super-rural, mostly poor county where the racial breakdown was about 80/20 in favor of the black kids. But the white families were the more well-off ones. That gave the white kids the environmental advantages when it came to being both smart and what passes for cool in the 5th grade. They could afford the cool fashions, and had parents that made them do their homework.

It was a little weird though. Which is part of the reason why I fit in absolutely nowhere when we moved from the country to the suburbs in the 7th grade.
Logged

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Bobby Fischer is dead!
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2008, 11:10:29 pm »

Am I the only one who didnt know that bobby fischer went completely batshit insane?
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Bobby Fischer is dead!
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2008, 11:19:13 pm »

See, A-Adore's comment is why there should be some accomodation for me wanting to give someone 5 cans at once, somehow. That was perfectly done.
Agreed.  Multiple canning just requires discipline though.  You've got to want to get her those cans.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Bobby Fischer is dead!
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2008, 11:44:23 pm »

Quote
Am I the only one who didnt know that bobby fischer went completely batshit insane?

Probably, yes. The only reason I had heard of him was because of the stories of how nuts he was.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up