Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Chris waited all day for the Comcast repair guy, and he never showed up. What is he supposed to do with this cream pie?

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Bobby Fischer is dead!  (Read 10208 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Victoria Waterfield

  • Molly
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 336
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 739
  • FUCK YOU, MIKE!
    • View Profile
Re: Bobby Fischer is dead!
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2008, 12:08:44 am »

Probably, yes. The only reason I had heard of him was because of the stories of how nuts he was.

Well some of us actually knew he was a famous chess player. I had heard about his batshit insaneness, but I can easily see someone else overlooking the one or two stories that I read about that in.
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Bobby Fischer is dead!
« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2008, 01:10:45 am »

I definitely only knew of him because he was completely batshit.

Ironic considering I was taught chess by a multiply-committed paranoid schizophrenic.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Bobby Fischer is dead!
« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2008, 01:51:04 am »

oh, no, I knew he was a famous chess player.
But I knew of him because one time my dad told me about him when I was a little kid, about how this guy was so brilliant, and yet so crazy. And that that was why there was this Searching for Bobby Fischer movie that was on.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Bobby Fischer is dead!
« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2008, 02:08:36 am »

I just clicked, he died at 64, the number of squares on a chess board. That's kind of neat.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Bobby Fischer is dead!
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2008, 03:12:18 pm »

I knew he was batshit insane, I just didn't realize how much.
http://deadspin.com/346835/another-look-at-bobby-fischer
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Bobby Fischer is dead!
« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2008, 04:03:22 pm »

I knew he was batshit insane, I just didn't realize how much.
http://deadspin.com/346835/another-look-at-bobby-fischer

Oh man I like Deadspin. Their breakdowns of the championship games were basically like treasure.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Bobby Fischer is dead!
« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2008, 09:46:50 pm »

If you go to blogdome on the day that story ran, the second link takes you to a crazy interview at espn.

actually I did it:  http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=3202460
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Bobby Fischer is dead!
« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2008, 12:31:53 am »

I didn't know he was nuts, well, I did, but it wasn't the primary thing about him.  Mostly the chess thing. 

I think somebody needs to start a poll to see how many of us went to GT classes in grade school.  Because I think there is probably a high correlation between being labeled "gifted" and isolated from your peers as a young child and spending way too much time discussing linguistics and chessmasters on the internet as an adult. 

Edit: Here's the thread. 
« Last Edit: January 22, 2008, 12:37:41 am by jldunston »
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Bobby Fischer is dead!
« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2008, 02:47:54 am »

In other news:

Bela Lugosi? Also dead.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: Bobby Fischer is dead!
« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2008, 05:23:03 am »

Undead, undead, undead.
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Bobby Fischer is dead!
« Reply #40 on: January 22, 2008, 06:58:13 am »

"Bela Lugosi is Dead" sounds like a band name.

Not like a metal band or a punk band, though. Like a bullshit emo shoegazer indie-rock band.

Like they mean it ironically and are making fun of liking old horror movies... except when it suits them for the press when they completely pretend to love old horror movies.

Like they'd roll their eyes and say "Bela Lugosi is soooooooo cool".

And then I'd punch them all in the face.

Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Bobby Fischer is dead!
« Reply #41 on: January 22, 2008, 07:11:50 am »

Quote
Like a bullshit emo shoegazer indie-rock band.

damn dude, you sound like someone's grandpa. "go listen to your heavy metal punk rap music!"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bela_Lugosi's_Dead
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Bobby Fischer is dead!
« Reply #42 on: January 22, 2008, 07:13:51 am »

Hm, I suppose you're right.

That kind of band wouldn't consider the name ironic enough without putting a "The" before it.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

chuanoplast

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 33
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 234
  • Most Painful Part
    • View Profile
    • Stupid Blog
Re: Bobby Fischer is dead!
« Reply #43 on: January 22, 2008, 09:22:41 am »

You guys are forgetting the most critical part of all this.

http://www.antigravitypress.com/gothic.htm

Logged
The most important decision in my life: the rabbit mug or the monkey mug. (PS I GOT THE KITTY MUG)

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Bobby Fischer is dead!
« Reply #44 on: January 22, 2008, 03:06:57 pm »

Thanks, inev. Also, Bela Lugosi's Dead.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up