Just coincidentally, one of the reasons I'm a grad-school dropout is that I was dating a guy who tacitly made it clear that women educated above his level were not sexy to him, and that he was disappointed I had not moved to his city after college. I mean, it was just one factor in the Big Ol' Honkin' Depression Train, but it was there. Anyway: I'm trying to take an "it ain't over 'til I die" approach, but I am basically anxiety-prone and fear very much living in a van down by the river.
Back on subject!
About the only GT-like thing I didn't have was skipping a grade. My first school district made it more or less impossible to do so and had a very stringent cutoff date for school entrance; as such, I was actually one of the oldest in my grade throughout elementary school. I planned on making it up by doing high school in three years... but then, as it turned out, I got into clubs and electives, and I had no desire to leave early. (After all, if I had, I would have lost a year of speech eligibility, and that would have been like death to 17-Year-Old Me.) Which brings me to my real point: I think that not being skipped was in some ways the best thing for me, because it allowed me to do some social and emotional catch-up by the time I got to high school. Most of the people I knew in HS who had skipped a grade were pretty emotionally stunted, and I think the extra time might have helped them out.
Then again, as a counterexample, I knew a dude in college who came in at 16 (!) and was cool, emotionally mature (well, as emotionally mature as any college freshman), and awesome, so it's hard to say.