Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I shouldn't have to tell people not to hit me on the head nearly so often as I do.

Poll

Did you go to a Gifted & Talented class when you were in school?

Yes, at a regular school.
No, I didn't qualify.
No, my school didn't have one.
I went to a school for gifted kids.
Other (explain below).

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: GT Program Survivor Support Group  (Read 13334 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: GT Program Survivor Support Group
« Reply #60 on: January 23, 2008, 05:52:44 am »

You make your "D"s the same way as my brother-in-law, who is also a Daniel.  (He goes by Danny, though.) 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: GT Program Survivor Support Group
« Reply #61 on: January 23, 2008, 06:00:06 am »

Man, does everyone have a terrible handwriting-teacher story? For me, it was my third-grade teacher, who would regularly send assignments back with requests to correct the handwriting ("write ten 'e's"). That was the year we were learning cursive, too, so it already stung.

I still write in cursive, albeit intentionally made terrible to infuriate her from afar.
Logged

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: GT Program Survivor Support Group
« Reply #62 on: January 23, 2008, 06:06:14 am »

I am intrigued by Inev's H's.  The little serif at the beginning is a form I haven't seen before.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: GT Program Survivor Support Group
« Reply #63 on: January 23, 2008, 06:15:25 am »

Oh, see... at some point in a math class I wrote a 7 followed by an H, and was like "huh." And so when I was thinking about I was writing, I wrote my H's like that. I don't actually write them like that normally. I just thought it looked cool for a while. That was from almost 2 years ago, I guess. Weird.

What is interesting to me is that I write my b's clockwise and by 6's counterclockwise.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: GT Program Survivor Support Group
« Reply #64 on: January 23, 2008, 06:47:21 am »

We should write things and post pictures! I took a picture, but cannot find the cable for my camera... I might have left it in Charlotte.

This has my handwriting at its neatest on it.

but... I almost never write like that. Normally it is more scrawly and uneven? although sometimes it is weirdly neat. who knows.

Yo
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: GT Program Survivor Support Group
« Reply #65 on: January 23, 2008, 02:34:26 pm »

Oh, that poem is a doozy.  Tell your dad he made an imaginary person on the internet all misty eyed.

You tell him.  He reads my comments.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: GT Program Survivor Support Group
« Reply #66 on: January 23, 2008, 02:51:23 pm »

Criminy, what a G&T bunch we are here.  Our G&T program was called "Seminar," capital S, and I was in that from 3rd to 7th grade.  It was like what Linnea described way back--we got pulled out of regular class one afternoon a week and got to do much cooler shit.

What's curious is I think about the kids who were in that with me, and while most of us are doing what mainstream society would call successful jobs, I know one girl who quit all her extra-curriculars senior year to "be with her boyfriend" and was pregnant before we graduated, and a guy who got heavily into drugs.  (No idea what they're doing now, and of course none of that prevents them from being happy and productive now almost 20 years later.)
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: GT Program Survivor Support Group
« Reply #67 on: January 23, 2008, 03:37:04 pm »

Quote
sucks to your assmar, computers.

YES


just now, I was looking for my calculator, and I asked my roommate if he had seen it. He said no. Then I found it, and said "aha! here it is!"
on the back, I had a sticker-- it is like a bar-code thing from when I had AP exams.
And he said "holy shit! one second..."
and went and pulled out his identical calculator, which had his AP bar-code stickers on the back.

I feel like that is some kind of Thing.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2008, 03:43:12 pm by theinevitable »
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Dexter

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 119
  • Some mothers should not be turned out.
    • View Profile
Re: GT Program Survivor Support Group
« Reply #68 on: January 23, 2008, 04:43:13 pm »

The gifted and talented program in my school district was called SOAR: "Students on Active Research".  As best I can recall, it covered grades 3-5 and 6-8; in other words, most of elementary and all of middle school.  In elementary school the kids in SOAR got pulled out of their regular classes one day a week, for the entire day.  In middle school it was just another class.

My memory of those times is pretty bad now, but I think I was in SOAR for third, fifth, and sixth through eighth grades.  I have vague recollections of being given some kind of test between second and third grade, the results of which presumably determined my suitability for SOAR, though they didn't tell me that at the time (or ever).

Looking back, I really don't remember much of it at all.  I know in third grade, it was pretty unstructured; I recall spending a lot of time playing one of the Carmen Sandiego games on the Apple II in the classroom (which was actually in a trailer).  There were also shelves full of puppets in the classroom and we occasionally put on puppet shows for kids even younger than ourselves, most notably at a local public library.  In retrospect it seems kind of silly, but I thought then and I still think now that it was probably a better use of time being in regular classes.

I don't think I was in SOAR in fourth grade, but I don't remember.  All I really remember from fourth grade is being in a more advanced "reading" class which was hell for me because it required more class participation and then, as now, I was paralyzingly self-conscious (which is why I have only 62 posts in nearly two years of membership!).  Also the woman teaching it also taught my Sunday school at least once.  I feel weird talking about "my Sunday school" because I am somewhere between agnostic atheism and atheistic agnosticism today, and haven't set foot in a church except for weddings and familial obligations in years and years.  But I suppose I was something approximating a Christian back in fourth grade.  I went to church with my parents, at least.

In fifth grade SOAR was a bit more structured than in third grade, and it focused mostly on critical-thinking exercises.  I recall one time we had to solve some kind of murder mystery.  I'm pretty sure all the characters had terrible puns for names; the only one that remains with me today is "Felix Navidad".  It's funny how I can remember such trivial details, but I can't remember the bigger picture.

I found SOAR in sixth through eighth grades far less enjoyable.  Among other things, we were required to do National History Day projects (though I never did, or did them poorly).  And it was just another class, so I had to spend the rest of the day in classes that didn't interest or challenge me much if at all.

It was around that time that my fate as a chronic underachiever was sealed.  I sometimes wonder how things would be different today if my parents had had the money to send me to a private school -- I have a friend who went to a private school until high school and he said he did much better there than in he did in high school -- or if I'd merely had the ability to force myself to do things that didn't interest me.  Maybe I wouldn't be a 24-year-old college drop-out who's farting around on the Internet instead of working because he called in sick today to his shitty part-time job that he hates because he just couldn't stomach the thought of going.
Logged
Y'all don't know what it's like, bein' male, middle-class and white.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: GT Program Survivor Support Group
« Reply #69 on: January 23, 2008, 04:49:58 pm »

I assumed that you infrequent posting had more to do with your day job as a medical examiner and your hobby as a serial killer of murderers.

But that works too.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Dexter

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 119
  • Some mothers should not be turned out.
    • View Profile
Re: GT Program Survivor Support Group
« Reply #70 on: January 23, 2008, 04:57:09 pm »

I assumed that you infrequent posting had more to do with your day job as a medical examiner and your hobby as a serial killer of murderers.

But that works too.
Ahahaha.  Actually, I picked this name because of this Dexter.  It was on TV in the background when I was trying to come up with a name, because I decided, rather arbitrarily, that I didn't want to use the same name I use everywhere else.  I'm kinda regretting that decision now, or at least wishing that I had picked a different different name.  Maybe we could have some kinda "rename Dexter" thing like we did for A-CAP.
Logged
Y'all don't know what it's like, bein' male, middle-class and white.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: GT Program Survivor Support Group
« Reply #71 on: January 23, 2008, 05:25:39 pm »

I assumed that you infrequent posting had more to do with your day job as a medical examiner and your hobby as a serial killer of murderers.
If its any consolation - your 62 posts have been quality. 
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: GT Program Survivor Support Group
« Reply #72 on: January 23, 2008, 05:28:10 pm »

The gifted and talented program in my school district was called SOAR: "Students on Active Research". 

Can we please institute the death penalty for people who name things with stupid acronyms?
« Last Edit: January 23, 2008, 05:47:51 pm by wombat »
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Dexter

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 119
  • Some mothers should not be turned out.
    • View Profile
Re: GT Program Survivor Support Group
« Reply #73 on: January 23, 2008, 05:36:13 pm »

Can we please institute the death penality for people who name things with stupid acronyms?
Sure.  I'll write to my congressman about my support for the RETARD (Righteously Exterminate Tons of Acronyms Retroactively Devised) Act.

Edit: It occurs to me that this could be interpreted as me calling you a retard.  I would like to make it clear that this is not the case; that contrived acronym was just the first one that came to mind.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2008, 06:19:56 pm by Dexter »
Logged
Y'all don't know what it's like, bein' male, middle-class and white.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: GT Program Survivor Support Group
« Reply #74 on: January 23, 2008, 06:18:14 pm »

my favorite is when comedians or just funny people do like... joke acronyms?

like maybe I could say....


no, man, don't hate on acronyms! I am going to create a group called the National Acroynm Association for Continued Prevalence (??)

or like how The Daily Show used to say "the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (or, NAMBLA)" or whatever.

Do you get what I mean? I cannot remember an actual example.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up