Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Yo mama's so crass and low, she puts chocolate pieces into her mouth while she is still chewing up the previous chocolate pieces.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: A-CAP Yells At Everyone Who Isn't Him For Trying To Discuss Economics In His Presence.  (Read 12743 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile

I'm not grumpy. I'm sad. This thread makes this board look like something I hope it was never meant to be. Better off dynamiting it (the thread, not the board), covering it over with six feet of concrete, building a wall around it and walking away. I mean, even the title has subtle meanness to it, and even more so to someone who hasn't been here before. There's just something wrong and different here. It bothers me.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2008, 09:32:28 pm by AlohaDawg »
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile

Yeah.

I think the thing is... when I write a script, I am writing with the idea that I will edit it fifteen times before I show it to anyone... when I write in my journal, I'm of course not editing because it is my journal and...

As I've been writing 10-15 pages of first draft of a novel a week, I am writing in the one format where brevity is... it's still important but it is of the least import of any format because it is THE long form of the English language and...

Yeah.

Bad habits I've fallen into. I'm sure that sitting around waiting for a new job to start hasn't helped.

I'm also ridiculously passionate about empathy and human dignity needing to be the first and foremost rules of the public sphere and so this subject...

Yeah.

Things to think about, ss. Thank you sincerely.

Thanks so much.  I am glad you are taking this to heart.

I had some really amazing writing professors and dramaturges over the years, and one specific nugget of information that helped me greatly early on was being told to be truly committed to the work to the point where you always write like you are writing the only/last draft.  It's selling yourself out to work from the assumption that you can't get it right the first time, and it's a big time waster.  Yes, if your work is getting produced/published you will be going through rewrites.  The goal for the process of rewriting should be to aim for minor adjustments and well understood, valuable additions for illumination of the text. That doesn't mean that cutting doesn't happen, but it's not the goal or the focus of the editing process.  Writing something with the expectation that you are going to cut it later is like going out and intentionally having a child knowing full well it will be so stupid or ugly that you will probably need to kill it later.  Pointless, painful, unnecessary.  I mean, seriously if you're into self-flagellation, take it out of your artistic process and find a lady to whip you and call you bad names every so often.  

But this is not writing class.  This is owning up time, and I honestly appreciate that you have owned up and committed to being a better messageboard poster.

I know from seeing the little "who's reading this" thing-y that A-CAP has lurked here long enough to know where he stands too, so I'm going to leave this thread open long enough to ensure he has time to say his piece if he wants to and so that everyone who feels the need to add to this can, but I'm going to lock it tomorrow afternoon.  I am sorry to everyone who came here to talk about economics, and especially to Carlos, cause' that post is pretty damn fine, but this situation was in autorepeat free-fall and needed a fixin.  

Providing education and/or discussion on economics, the stock market, softly lamenting that we didn't all invest in gold or oil, etc.  (especially due to the state of these issues right now) is a damn valuable thing too.  If there is interest I will move Carlos' post and start a new thread with it.  I honestly know so little about such things that I have nothing to add to such a conversation.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron

I'm not grumpy. I'm sad. This thread makes this board look like something I hope it was never meant to be. Better off dynamiting it (the thread, not the board), covering it over with six feet of concrete, building a wall around it and walking away. I mean, even the title has subtle meanness to it, and even more so to someone who hasn't been here before. There's just something wrong and different here. It bothers me.

Oh, I didn't mean that you were grumpy - I just didn't want to say anything that you might take in a way I didn't intend it. I know you have things going on and I don't wish to add stuff, you know? I figured that we are knuckleheads from small times (in messageboard terms), so why not just let it wash away?
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile

I got to say, I mean, look at the thread title; what did you want?


On the other hand, I wish A-CAP would have made more sense instead of just arguing so I could maybe understand.

Also, the "market" turned itself around I guess?
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile

I've fallen in love with Melanie again.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile

I just think its unfortunate that instead of moderating the discussion, a thread was made by moderators to directly antagonize a situation that had already ended. LFM either intentionally or unintentionally made a comment that pushed my button. I called him out on it and that could have been it.

Also, An "economics" split I think is a long time coming because it comes up in other threads, even without me.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron

Careful, A-Cap might shout at you, too.

"You are a salt-miner. Get back to the salt mines. Leave the talking about stocks to the smart people."

I'd like to take this opportunity to point out that this thing, that I did here, was supposed to be funny like a joke would be.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile

As was the thread title meant to be funny. And it's the sort of joke that you could only make about someone who was recognized for better or worse as an authentic member of the community, who has foibles that everyone knows about. It could just as well have been called "LFM Goes On At Fantastic Length About Life, The Universe and Everything" or "Wombat Splits Thread in Terror of People Not Being Nice to Each Other on the Internet."  But V beat me to a better one and I used it.

I wouldn't make a joke like that about someone who I didn't feel some vague affection for. It was certainly not meant as an attack.





Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

V-Adore

  • Guest

I really am sorry about the subject line; it was intended as a basically-affectionate joke directed at someone whom I believe to be an intelligent and interesting member of the community, however much we might disagree. I apologize for offending, A-CAP.
Logged

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile

Do we all get to have make-up sex now?
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron

Do we all get to have make-up sex now?

I hope so - that's the only reason I stuck around.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas

Quote from: Arachno-capitalist
intentionally or unintentionally

For whatever it counts, definitely unintentionally.

I am about thirteen years too old for arguin' on the internet just to argue.

I am still pretty-much the right age for being ramblingly passionate about what I believe in, however.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile

Do we all get to have make-up sex now?

I hope so - that's the only reason I stuck around.

Now we're cooking with gas!


Heh... I <3 you guys.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile

To quote our all too rarely present founder (for the second time this week, no less!)

Quote from: El Guapo
Let's not start suckin' each other's dicks here...
« Last Edit: January 24, 2008, 02:55:16 am by AugustWest »
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile

Maybe just a group hug then?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up