Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I once had the idea that, if only for a moment each night, everyone in the world was asleep at the same time. It made the world manageable.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Explain the stocks/economics to me like I was a 3rd grader  (Read 21067 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Explain the stock market/economics to me like I was a 3rd grader
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2008, 11:44:23 pm »

95% of the people who are looking for work are employed.  As I understand it, there is a certain percentage of people who are not working and are no longer seeking work.  Is this number measured anywhere?
Is one of the six called "funenmployent"?
« Last Edit: January 24, 2008, 11:43:12 pm by side_show »
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: A-CAP Yells At Everyone Who Isn\\\\
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2008, 12:14:38 am »

Is one of the six called "funenmployent"?
The BLS does measure people that just don't want to work. Wealthy sons of inheritance are in this group of funemployment.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: A-CAP Yells At Everyone Who Isn\\\\
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2008, 12:20:07 am »

The BLS does measure people that just don't want to work. Wealthy sons of inheritance are in this group of funemployment.

Because there are no daughters of inheritance.
Logged

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: A-CAP Yells At Everyone Who Isn\\\\
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2008, 12:25:17 am »

Patty Hearst heard the burst of Roland's Thompson gun, and bought it.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: A-CAP Yells At Everyone Who Isn\\\\
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2008, 12:38:00 am »

Patty Hearst heard the burst of Roland's Thompson gun, and bought it.

It's things like this that earn you cans. I can't wait until the whole world is centered around a can-based economy.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: A-CAP Yells At Everyone Who Isn\\\\
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2008, 05:47:04 am »

I haven't read this whole thread yet, but my portfolio went down by about two thousand clams, and my broker called me and we righted some wrongs. I'm upset about this, but I have another 40 years until retirement, so I guess I shouldn't complain.
Logged

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: A-CAP Yells At Everyone Who Isn\\\\
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2008, 03:17:50 pm »

I am late to this particular thread.  A few years back, on another message board, someone said "I don't understand the stock market, someone explain it to me like you'd explain it to a third-grader," and me and my MBA wrote this piece, which was very well received.  Apologies for length.


Joe owns a coffee shop.  He put up a lot of his own money to start it, and now it's very successful.  So successful, in fact, that he'd like to open another one across town.  However, Joe doesn't have the extra cash to buy and equip a new store, since the money he makes either goes back into the business or pays for his vacation house on St. Lucia.

So he gathers up a group of his friends, and says, "If you give me $100 each, I'll give you a share of my profits down the road."  His friends think this is a good idea, but say, "If we're going to put up our money for this, we want some say in what the company does."  So they agree that Joe will handle day-to-day operations, but when there's a big decision, they'll get together and vote on it.  90 of his friends pony up $100 each, and Joe puts off buying a Jaguar for a month and puts up $1,000 of his own money.  He now has $10,000, and uses it to build the second coffee house.  There are 100 shares in the company now.

At the end of the year, Joe totals up the books and finds that the company has made $1,000 profit, or $10 per share.  What's more, sales are steadily increasing.  So he writes each of the 90 individual shareholders a check for $10, and encloses a letter where he says "I expect our profits to increase 20% per year for the foreseeable future."  He also pockets $100 for his own 10 shares.

Joe's shareholders do the math.  If profits go up 20% per year, next year they should get a dividend of $12.  The year after that, $14.40.  By the end of year 6, Joe will have paid them $99.30 total--almost their original $100 back.  If the trend continues for 20 years, Joe will have paid them $1,866.88 total, so by putting $100 at the start they'll get back over 18 times that over time!  Joe's Coffee is looking like a smart investment.

So smart, in fact, that a man in an Armani suit comes to town and makes it known that he will pay $150 for someone's share in Joe's Coffee.  Some shareholders are desparate for cash to buy crystal meth, and figure they'd rather take a $50 profit right now that wait 6 years for all their money to come back.  Others think their shares are worth more than that, so they wait until he offers $200 per share.  Eventually Mr. Armani buys 51 shares of the company, and now that he has a majority of the votes as to how the company is run, he fires Joe as CEO, and exploits minimum wage workers to greatly increase the company's profit.

As more and more businesses sell little parts of ownership in this fashion, a bunch of guys in suits decide they're going to buy a big building in New York and make it a place where they can all get together and buy and sell these shares all day long.  Everybody loved to trade stories about different things that were happening that would affect how much money the different companies would make.  As this news came out, people changed how much they were willing to pay for the different stocks.  And they all lived happily ever after, until enery prices went through the roof and nobody could afford to deliver coffee beans to Joe's shops anymore, they couldn't sell any coffee, and the stock price went way down.  Then they threw themselves off buildings.

The end.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: A-CAP Yells At Everyone Who Isn\\\\
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2008, 03:35:42 pm »

yayyyyy!

again, again!
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: A-CAP Yells At Everyone Who Isn\\\\
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2008, 04:22:22 pm »

Well-done, carlos, in the same manner as Jesus you have said what I was trying to say in a story so it was a thousand times better toward explaining.

Free-market capitalism works superbly on small scales, the bigger it gets and the further it gets from whatever innovations created the successes at first, the less it works and the less it resembles itself and its original values.

Somebody's gotta be standing there, unpurchasable and with strong pimp hand, to smack it down when that starts happening and we start spiraling toward mere profiteering and the economic process eating its own tail. Which is what I believe is happening now.

I can really only think of three pimps possibly large enough to that task: religion, the military and government bureaucracy... and as much as we don't like standing in line at the DMV, outta those three, I'll choose government bureaucracy every day and twice on Friday night.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: A-CAP Yells At Everyone Who Isn\\\\
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2008, 11:45:11 pm »

Damn, I suck at splitting threads - I somehow managed for it to be in backward order posting wise and am trying to fix the title of the thread for more than just the title on the main page and first post.

Edit: Okay the order is right, except the first post, which I can't change (sorry Lprkn) - I have no idea why the title in wrong in all but the first post, and can't figure out how to fix it.  Damn.

Anyway, back on track, as I said in that other thread:

Quote
A-CAP, please tell us practical, actual suggestions we might sort-of comprehend of "how to avoid dying at our jobs."  I think we can all agree that we don't want to die at our jobs, right?  I mean, we have a fairly reasonable common ground that none of us want to die before we retire, if at all possible, right?  An across the board desire to avoid suffering is a good place to start this right, I think.  Because I seriously, seriously want to know.

Seriously, please help.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2008, 12:03:11 am by side_show »
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: A-CAP Yells At Everyone Who Isn\\\\
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2008, 12:22:58 am »

Bill Hicks always taught me that the market is fake, is this not true?

Seriously though, a much more important thing:  I just graduated and am moving to Boulder/Denver in a couple weeks

Holy shit dude, if you do that we should have a mini-Achecon. I live in the Denver metro area and can easily make it up to Boulder.
Logged

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: A-CAP Yells At Everyone Who Isn\\\\
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2008, 02:53:13 am »

95% of the people who are looking for work are employed.  As I understand it, there is a certain percentage of people who are not working and are no longer seeking work.  Is this number measured anywhere?

Re-reading, post split.  Yes, this is correct, the unemployment rate only counts people who are looking for work.  So if you're a stay-at-home mom, on disability, or have the depression from getting turned down for every job and have just stopped looking, you're not in there.

Is this measured anywhere?  Shit, I don't know.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Economics
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2008, 03:10:34 am »

Re-reading, post split.  Yes, this is correct, the unemployment rate only counts people who are looking for work.  So if you're a stay-at-home mom, on disability, or have the depression from getting turned down for every job and have just stopped looking, you're not in there.

Is this measured anywhere?  Shit, I don't know.
Yes. The BLS spends a lot of your money on people who collect this data. Reports that are boring even to me can be found on their website.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2008, 03:14:12 am by Arachno-capitalist »
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Economics
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2008, 03:29:50 pm »

Yes. The BLS spends a lot of your money on people who collect this data. Reports that are boring even to me can be found on their website.

So, how fucked are things, potentially?
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: A-CAP Yells At Everyone Who Isn\\\\
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2008, 09:18:20 pm »

Holy shit dude, if you do that we should have a mini-Achecon. I live in the Denver metro area and can easily make it up to Boulder.

Yeah, for sure.  I am probably only going to be there for a couple months, but I also have I friend in Denver who I will probably hang out with. So yeah...  we gotta do this before summer but after I accomplish basic things like getting a job, etc.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Up