Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I haven't had a haircut since July. I'm hoping to, "wait it out."

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Explain the stocks/economics to me like I was a 3rd grader  (Read 21053 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Explain the stocks/economics to me like I was a 3rd grader
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2008, 10:29:02 pm »

So for someone like me, about to enter her 30's , with lots of savings, but no investments or stocks is it worthwhile to buy now?  Whats the best thing to do with my savings?  A friend who put a lot of study into the Canadian side thinks gold is honestly the best way to go.  True?
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: A-CAP Yells At Everyone Who Isn\\\\
« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2008, 12:15:31 am »

Yeah, for sure.  I am probably only going to be there for a couple months, but I also have I friend in Denver who I will probably hang out with. So yeah...  we gotta do this before summer but after I accomplish basic things like getting a job, etc.

I'd like to take another opportunity to say that if any of y'all drop through the Pacific Northwest and specifically Portland, I will show you a good time that I can almost promise will not end up with anyone going to jail.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: Explain the stocks/economics to me like I was a 3rd grader
« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2008, 03:44:57 am »

So for someone like me, about to enter her 30's , with lots of savings, but no investments or stocks is it worthwhile to buy now?  Whats the best thing to do with my savings?  A friend who put a lot of study into the Canadian side thinks gold is honestly the best way to go.  True?

Gold is almost always a good investment for mid-to-long termers, and particularly when economies are sluggish. I put a lot of my investiments into gold and metals production a while ago.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Explain the stocks/economics to me like I was a 3rd grader
« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2008, 03:59:30 am »

I have never understood why gold is a good investment. I mean, if the economy was rotten, why would anyone want to buy any gold that I have?  They can't eat it, or burn it to keep warm. What am I missing?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Explain the stocks/economics to me like I was a 3rd grader
« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2008, 04:04:21 am »

I have never understood why gold is a good investment. I mean, if the economy was rotten, why would anyone want to buy any gold that I have?  They can't eat it, or burn it to keep warm. What am I missing?

I think the theory is that gold is a medium of exchange that will retain its value even in a severe social crisis.  If there's a civil war or hyper-inflation or some such, people will still place a certain value on gold that they may not continue to place on government backed pieces of green paper.  When the price of gold goes up, it's a sign that things are getting more turbulent in the world.

Of course, when things get even worse, gold becomes valueless on only things that you can eat, burn, wear or screw have value.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Explain the stocks/economics to me like I was a 3rd grader
« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2008, 04:54:54 am »

Yeah, gold is just valuable because there is a very definite limit to how much of it there is so it can't suffer from inflation but since it's not actually usable for anything it doesn't fluctuate the way, say, oil does.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Explain the stocks/economics to me like I was a 3rd grader
« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2008, 05:00:11 am »

I have never understood why gold is a good investment. I mean, if the economy was rotten, why would anyone want to buy any gold that I have?  They can't eat it, or burn it to keep warm. What am I missing?

Scarcity drives value in this world. Water, the most "valuable" thing I can think of, is given to me basically for free whenever I use a sink, people in cities open up fire hydrants and just let it gush into the street. Diamonds on the other hand have a very limited industrial utility but people kill for them, fight wars for them.

In the best economic conditions, there is full faith in paper currency and no one cares to carry around hunks of metal. In the worst economic conditions, government fiat currency has an inherent risk of inflation.

There has never been a time in human history when civilization did not value gold over other things. It is a concentrated material of wealth that you can look at and touch and give to people for other things.

In short its a hedge against inflation and there is only a finite amount of gold going around, God isn't making any more of it.

EDIT: Doc and I posted at the same time and he said it in fewer words. Also, I own stock in gold mines.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Explain the stocks/economics to me like I was a 3rd grader
« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2008, 05:01:19 am »

Yeah, going for gold is kind of... betting that the world will MOSTLY collapse but not fully.

It is my instinct to reckon that things'll either stay pretty much like this or go back to the Dark Ages... people are too used to this general sort of life and unless things completely go in the tank, people'll figure out a way to keep the current mess going.

I reckon there'll be a lotta "survivalists" happy that their little gold rock beats money paper... until scissors quickly beats both. Here's hoping a space ship'll have gotten me by then... interesting as it sounds, I basically don't wanna hang out and watch up close.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Explain the stocks/economics to me like I was a 3rd grader
« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2008, 07:45:36 am »

More to the diamonds thing than scarcity, though, eh A-Cap?
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Explain the stocks/economics to me like I was a 3rd grader
« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2008, 01:44:03 pm »

Yeah, going for gold is kind of... betting that the world will MOSTLY collapse but not fully.

That makes sense. I guess I usually worry most about the total collapse. The world where, like, they don't manufacture contact lens solution and organic dog kibble anymore, and such.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Explain the stocks/economics to me like I was a 3rd grader
« Reply #40 on: January 26, 2008, 06:39:46 pm »

Yeah, gold is just valuable because there is a very definite limit to how much of it there is so it can't suffer from inflation but since it's not actually usable for anything it doesn't fluctuate the way, say, oil does.

This isn't actually true. it's an integral component of these, and I think we all agree the world would be poorer for their loss. Plus lots of electronics use it, and that stupid schnapps, or whatever it is.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: Explain the stocks/economics to me like I was a 3rd grader
« Reply #41 on: January 26, 2008, 07:44:17 pm »

Ah, the 'shlager. We had a friend who couldn't believe they'd put REAL GOLD IN THERE, to which another friend classically responded, "Well, you know, if you learn to shit JUST RIGHT, you can get it all back."
Logged

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Explain the stocks/economics to me like I was a 3rd grader
« Reply #42 on: January 27, 2008, 01:01:13 am »

That garbage and champagne are my two most hated alcohol beverages.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Explain the stocks/economics to me like I was a 3rd grader
« Reply #43 on: January 27, 2008, 01:26:30 am »

I don't think I've ever had any of that shit, but I'm not sure it would beat out Boone's Farm, Keystone, Mike's hard lemonade, blackberry brandy, Zima, PBR, Schmidt, or Bud*.

*That's just for A-Cap, because I'm in that sort of mood.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Explain the stocks/economics to me like I was a 3rd grader
« Reply #44 on: January 27, 2008, 02:06:14 am »

All of those things are drinkable though.  Well I have never had zima or MH lemonade, but I am sure they are better.  I don't really like schnapps too much in general though.

The worst thing I have ever drank is nighttrain or whatever that shit is called.  MD20/20 is drinkable, so is boones farm.  That stuff is impossible.  Champagne is still the worst though, I can not have more than a glass of that stuff without throwing up, passing out and being hungover for at least 2 days.  No idea why.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Up