Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I shouldn't have to tell people not to hit me on the head nearly so often as I do.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Explain the stocks/economics to me like I was a 3rd grader  (Read 21073 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Explain the stocks/economics to me like I was a 3rd grader
« Reply #45 on: January 27, 2008, 03:02:20 am »

I'd forgotten the electronics application, but we're hardly tearing through gold making cars and computers the way we go through oil, the primary use is still ornamental. I'd argue the schnapps is just a variation on this since the schnapps doesn't need the gold to taste good but the addition of gold makes it more desirable (to people who think 3k is a pretty good price for wine).
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Explain the stocks/economics to me like I was a 3rd grader
« Reply #46 on: January 27, 2008, 03:46:46 am »

Nah man, the stuff we are talking about is kind of cheap.  Like the same as all schnapps I think.  There are just gold slivers in it.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Explain the stocks/economics to me like I was a 3rd grader
« Reply #47 on: January 27, 2008, 04:23:07 am »

I don't think I've ever had any of that shit, but I'm not sure it would beat out Boone's Farm, Keystone, Mike's hard lemonade, blackberry brandy, Zima, PBR, Schmidt, or Bud*.

*That's just for A-Cap, because I'm in that sort of mood.
My employer makes quality beverages. Or at least I believed that until we started making Clamato + Bud cans

MD2020 is not drinkable. Youre insane.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: Explain the stocks/economics to me like I was a 3rd grader
« Reply #48 on: January 27, 2008, 04:30:36 am »

Sorry AC. I don't find anything made by Budweiser to be particularly good compared to everything else I could drink instead.

All Malt Liquors, 20/20. Boones, Night Train are nasty. But they are meant to be utilized for effect, not aesthetics. So, yeah, maybe better than those.

Logged

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Explain the stocks/economics to me like I was a 3rd grader
« Reply #49 on: January 27, 2008, 05:01:15 am »

I don't know, what about Coors or Miller or Keystone or... 

The weirdest thing in the world to me is people who really, really think that Bud Light is a good beer and talk bad about someone drinking a Coors product or something.  Like, I'll drink Bud without any pride or shame.  These people put pride in Bud Light (that is the commercial beer I have seen this with the most).
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: Explain the stocks/economics to me like I was a 3rd grader
« Reply #50 on: January 27, 2008, 02:37:57 pm »

I think all the beer tastes like something I would not like to taste again. Unless I'm bowling. If I'm bowling, there has to be a bigass thing of bacon-chili-cheese-fries and a pitcher of beer OH HELLS YES.

But I haven't been bowling in years.

Worst cocktail I ever made... The Dr. Peppermint Schnapps. I just told you its recipe. I love sweet shit, but not in my bev. The only way it could've been worse is if I used Jones Candy Cane soda instead of Dr. Pepper.

Logged

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Explain the stocks/economics to me like I was a 3rd grader
« Reply #51 on: January 27, 2008, 04:55:41 pm »

Worst cocktail I ever made... The Dr. Peppermint Schnapps. I just told you its recipe. I love sweet shit, but not in my bev. The only way it could've been worse is if I used Jones Candy Cane soda instead of Dr. Pepper.

Oh sweet Christ, does that ever sound like a mistake. Yuck!
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Explain the stocks/economics to me like I was a 3rd grader
« Reply #52 on: January 27, 2008, 07:51:18 pm »

All of those things are drinkable though.  Well I have never had zima or MH lemonade, but I am sure they are better.  I don't really like schnapps too much in general though.

The worst thing I have ever drank is nighttrain or whatever that shit is called.  MD20/20 is drinkable, so is boones farm.  That stuff is impossible.  Champagne is still the worst though, I can not have more than a glass of that stuff without throwing up, passing out and being hungover for at least 2 days.  No idea why.

Yeah see, your thing with the champagne is my thing with the malt beverages. If I drink two or more MHLs, I will have a headache for like a week.

Worst cocktail I ever made... The Dr. Peppermint Schnapps.

Best name ever, though - so you get lots of credit for that.

Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Explain the stocks/economics to me like I was a 3rd grader
« Reply #53 on: January 28, 2008, 01:38:26 am »

Worst cocktail I ever made... The Dr. Peppermint Schnapps. I just told you its recipe. I love sweet shit, but not in my bev. The only way it could've been worse is if I used Jones Candy Cane soda instead of Dr. Pepper.
Best name ever, though - so you get lots of credit for that.
Particularly if it comes in tiny cans.

I'm going to ignore all the blasphemy being spoken against the greatest beverage/foodstuff ever.  The world of beer is deep and wide.  If you haven't found a beer you like, you haven't looked hard enough.  This is understandable if you've only ever looked in supermarkets or whatever unnaturalness is visited on people in states where you have to beg the government for your beer.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Explain the stocks/economics to me like I was a 3rd grader
« Reply #54 on: January 28, 2008, 03:24:55 am »

So for someone like me, about to enter her 30's , with lots of savings, but no investments or stocks is it worthwhile to buy now?  Whats the best thing to do with my savings?  A friend who put a lot of study into the Canadian side thinks gold is honestly the best way to go.  True?

Well, when the economy/stock market is in the shitter, that's actually a very good time to buy & hold.  The problem, though, is calling the bottom.  If you buy stocks then they go down the next day, you invariably feel like a moron.  (This happens pretty much every time I buy a stock.)

I am very fond of the so-called Coffeehouse Portfolio, in which you plunk 40% of your money in a bond fund, and 10% in each of six different stock funds.
http://www.etftopics.com/coffeehouse-etf-portfolio/

That's great if you're setting up a 401K or otherwise have a bunch of money to play with.  For smaller sums, I am very fond of Direct Stock Purchase Plans combined with Dividend Reinvestment Plans.  You can buy shares in relatively small amounts, usually with no fees (you pay a fee when you sell), and your dividends are automatically reinvested.  So even if you only have a couple hundred bucks a year to invest, you can build up a little something over time.
http://www.fool.com/School/DRIPs.htm
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: A-CAP Yells At Everyone Who Isn\\\\
« Reply #55 on: January 29, 2008, 01:19:20 am »

I am late to this particular thread.  A few years back, on another message board, someone said "I don't understand the stock market, someone explain it to me like you'd explain it to a third-grader," and me and my MBA wrote this piece, which was very well received.  Apologies for length.

[brilliant stuff]

I am even later, but I wanted to say how awesome that explanation is.  My dad teaches economics to high school students.  Can I give him a copy of that and let him read it to his class?  I think I would have to change the reference to crystal meth but the rest of it would be a great intro for them. 

Dad has a couple stories like this, with super-simplified examples (my favorite describes how the cash economy evolved vis-a-vis an Old West setting and a villain named Black Bart), but I don't think he has one for the stock market. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: A-CAP Yells At Everyone Who Isn\\\\
« Reply #56 on: January 29, 2008, 04:51:30 am »

Can I give him a copy of that and let him read it to his class? 

As long as he introduces it by saying "This was written by the Mayor of Banana Town," sure.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: Explain the stocks/economics to me like I was a 3rd grader
« Reply #57 on: January 29, 2008, 05:54:10 am »

Oh God, that was funny. A can for the Mayor of Banana Town.
Logged

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: A-CAP Yells At Everyone Who Isn\\\\
« Reply #58 on: January 30, 2008, 12:45:49 am »

As long as he introduces it by saying "This was written by the Mayor of Banana Town," sure.

I have $20 waiting if this explanation, with the introduction, makes it onto YouTube.
Logged

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
Re: Explain the stocks/economics to me like I was a 3rd grader
« Reply #59 on: February 16, 2008, 03:57:00 am »

I'm going to ignore all the blasphemy being spoken against the greatest beverage/foodstuff ever.  The world of beer is deep and wide.  If you haven't found a beer you like, you haven't looked hard enough.  This is understandable if you've only ever looked in supermarkets or whatever unnaturalness is visited on people in states where you have to beg the government for your beer.

I know it's comforting to assume that but it's a bit like saying "if you don't like eggplants it's because you haven't had one that's fresh enough yet." I've had the freshest goddamn eggplants humanly possible and I've had at least a half dozen beers that people whose opinions on the subject I trust told me were the best beers available on a normal human's drinking budget and I didn't like either.

I've had good beer and I've had bad beer and in a few cases I could tell the difference but I didn't like either. The difference was that my reaction to bad beer was "Oh sweet lord do people actually drink this shit?" and my reaction to good beer is "egh, someone might like this but not me." (The same has happened with bad and good coffee.) That said, the best reaction I've had to any alcoholic beverage is "this stuff would be pretty good if it weren't for the taste of alcohol" so maybe that's skewing my view. To me, alcohol and coffee kind of kick aside other flavors and start pissing on them even if the alcohol or coffee is in low concentration, so it's not an issue of "finding the right one".

This is the post where I respond to things people said a couple weeks ago. Hi!
Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9   Go Up