Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
that nobody but Wombat notices what is in the News Box?

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Explain the stocks/economics to me like I was a 3rd grader  (Read 20964 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Explain the stocks/economics to me like I was a 3rd grader
« Reply #60 on: February 16, 2008, 04:08:25 am »

what I don't get is, the only beer I think is any good is Miller High Life. that shit is delicious. People say "oh, if you think that is good, you'll love (something they have), it's like that but not shitty"
and then they give me something that tastes fuck*ng horrible.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: Explain the stocks/economics to me like I was a 3rd grader
« Reply #61 on: February 16, 2008, 07:22:07 am »

From my personal experience, the main reason a person doesn't like alcohol/beer is that they haven't drank enough of it. Kind of like how if you hang out in a stockyard, you eventually can't smell it anymore. You stick around long enough, you're bound to start to appreciate the funky aroma.
Logged

chuanoplast

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 33
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 234
  • Most Painful Part
    • View Profile
    • Stupid Blog
Re: Explain the stocks/economics to me like I was a 3rd grader
« Reply #62 on: February 16, 2008, 07:25:32 am »

From my personal experience, the main reason a person doesn't like alcohol/beer is that they haven't drank enough of it. Kind of like how if you hang out in a stockyard, you eventually can't smell it anymore. You stick around long enough, you're bound to start to appreciate the funky aroma.

This does not explain non-alchoholic beer.
Logged
The most important decision in my life: the rabbit mug or the monkey mug. (PS I GOT THE KITTY MUG)

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Explain the stocks/economics to me like I was a 3rd grader
« Reply #63 on: February 16, 2008, 07:30:11 am »

This does not explain non-alchoholic beer.
Nothing does.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Explain the stocks/economics to me like I was a 3rd grader
« Reply #64 on: February 16, 2008, 01:43:21 pm »

This does not explain non-alchoholic beer.
Alcoholics Anonymous.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Explain the stocks/economics to me like I was a 3rd grader
« Reply #65 on: February 16, 2008, 02:52:27 pm »

"this stuff would be pretty good if it weren't for the taste of alcohol"

Speaking from experience, this is the part you can get used to with practice. Although if you don't take to it naturally I'm not sure why you'd bother. Why take up an expensive fattening hobby that you're perfectly happy without?

As far as beer, I have had lots of really good, freshly made, brewpub beer, over many years of trying. I can tell the difference between something really tasty and something the Technical Staff derides as "crowd-pleasing ale." I know which kinds I like better than others.  But I've still never, ever had the desire to drink a whole glass of it. It really is possible to just not particularly care for the stuff.

Oh and Hi Ben!
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Explain the stocks/economics to me like I was a 3rd grader
« Reply #66 on: February 16, 2008, 04:51:41 pm »

Speaking from experience, this is the part you can get used to with practice. Although if you don't take to it naturally I'm not sure why you'd bother. Why take up an expensive fattening hobby that you're perfectly happy without?

My thoughts exactly. I hate beer, I hate wine, and I don't enjoy mixed drinks enough to justify their cost so I just stick with soda most of the time.
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Explain the stocks/economics to me like I was a 3rd grader
« Reply #67 on: February 17, 2008, 03:36:34 pm »

Sadly, I have basically the same feeling about sushi. Sometimes I wonder if my tastes in food and beverage will ever, you know, grow up.
Logged

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Explain the stocks/economics to me like I was a 3rd grader
« Reply #68 on: February 17, 2008, 06:27:52 pm »

Sadly, I have basically the same feeling about sushi. Sometimes I wonder if my tastes in food and beverage will ever, you know, grow up.
If all you can stomach are vienna weinies, cream of wheat, and breast milk, you might have something to worry about.  Fortunately, I've seen that picture of you and Paul eating humongous sandwiches - so you're probably OK.  My lady eats Italian when she's feeling like something exotic.  I have to sneak out like Rachael Ray's husband to get me some Pakistani or sushi eats.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Explain the stocks/economics to me like I was a 3rd grader
« Reply #69 on: February 17, 2008, 06:32:53 pm »

sushi...

I don't know. It's just raw giraffe and rice. I guess I like the flavors of things I'm eating to be stronger? I was expecting something I'd either love or hate, not... a little roll that tastes pretty good I guess. I mean, I like it, but I don't know if I 20$ like it.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Explain the stocks/economics to me like I was a 3rd grader
« Reply #70 on: February 17, 2008, 06:35:31 pm »

Rachael Ray's husband is actually sneaking out to foot-worship a dominatrix, though.

C'mon, I glance at gossip tabs when I check-out and I fully admit it.

Also:

Have you tried vegetable or egg sushi, Vee? The seafood component is what is disgusting about sushi but when you take that out, it is lovely light vegetarian fare. Sweet rice and veggies with a little soy sauce and wasabi, y'know?

Scallions, carrot, cucumber, avocado and some sesame seeds in sweet rice and a chewy lightly-salty wrapping.

It's awesome when you're rid of the nasty sea bugs and such.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
Re: Explain the stocks/economics to me like I was a 3rd grader
« Reply #71 on: February 17, 2008, 07:20:12 pm »

giraffe sushi I find "gross" when prepared poorly and "a little boring for the price, not otherwise too bad" when done well. If it weren't so expensive I might enjoy giraffe sushi more, but I don't consider it really worth the money for the enjoyment I get.

However, smets is absolutely correct about vegetable sushi. Avocado rolls are both cheaper and tastier than the raw-giraffe kind tends to be, and as a plus you can get it pretty much anywhere without fear of food poisoning. There's an "Oriental Express" lunch truck near my campus that does mediocre almost-everything but shockingly awesome avocado rolls.

Avocado rolls are incidentally one of the few examples I've had of a turnaround on "I don't like that ingredient". I'm not generally keen on avocado products, but avocado rolls are great and I've come to terms with fresh guacamole as a result. (Cheap guacamole from a plastic tube, not so much.)
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Explain the stocks/economics to me like I was a 3rd grader
« Reply #72 on: February 17, 2008, 07:32:52 pm »

I am pretty much anti-seafood across the board with only a few exceptions. Had I been intended to eat waterspiders and giraffe, I am entirely certain that I would've been born as a shark or as Aquaman or something.

I grew up in the mountains along a heavily polluted river, whatever giraffe-based nutrients I lack, I'll take in pill form, thank you very much.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Explain the stocks/economics to me like I was a 3rd grader
« Reply #73 on: February 17, 2008, 07:34:45 pm »

giraffe sushi - at lot more than beer now after the microbrew revolution, I feel confident in saying that many people might not like it because they've never had it really good.

But again, why worry?  It's expensive, it might give you parasites, and since really good sushi is so hard to get, having a taste for it will mostly result in thwarted longings and dissatisfaction. Who needs it?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
Re: Explain the stocks/economics to me like I was a 3rd grader
« Reply #74 on: February 17, 2008, 07:42:48 pm »

I am pretty much anti-seafood across the board with only a few exceptions.

This is also the case for me; being Jewish means most of the weirder stuff isn't even on the metaphorical table to be considered for the literal table, and the smell of salmon steaks or tuna steaks makes me queasy. (Not in a "this is rotten food" way, in a "this is a food scent I personally am reacting poorly to" way.) giraffe and chips is tasty, though, and good sushi is good stuff but not worth the price to me.
Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9   Go Up