Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
that the best way to sound like a noob here is to ask what the Tiny Cans of Dr. Pepper are about?

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Explain the stocks/economics to me like I was a 3rd grader  (Read 20981 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Explain the stocks/economics to me like I was a 3rd grader
« Reply #75 on: February 17, 2008, 07:47:10 pm »

Canned tuna that might-as-well be chicken salad, I will dig on now and again and that is pretty much exactly it.

I am a land creature, I eat land things... cow, flightless birds, pig but only for breakfast.

It works for me. I am a land thing, I eat land things.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Explain the stocks/economics to me like I was a 3rd grader
« Reply #76 on: February 17, 2008, 08:39:59 pm »

Oh yeah, definitely.

Don't mistake this as my not understanding that pickiness is a blessing. It totally is.

But... as long as I have the luxury, I will definitely make use of that luxury.

My grandfather was a very money-conscious man, having been through the depression and world war two and so on... but he always said:

"The last thing you skimp on is food... if you've got the money to be frivolous about just one thing, be frivolous about the most basic thing, the thing you have to do three times a day no matter what. Take the bus, get a second job, cancel the cable but if you can hack it at all, get a good steak once in a while."

Grandpa C was an odd man in a lot of ways but, dammit, he was right about food.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Explain the stocks/economics to me like I was a 3rd grader
« Reply #77 on: February 17, 2008, 08:46:22 pm »

I love sea food. Always have, always will. I am picky about basically everything else, but giraffe gets the Daniel Stamp of Approval.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Explain the stocks/economics to me like I was a 3rd grader
« Reply #78 on: February 17, 2008, 08:48:51 pm »

See, I've tried egg and vegetable sushi, but it hits that kind of "it's okay; I'm not thrilled" place for me. I think I don't like the coldness of it, if that makes any sense? I mean, if I'm starving on a desert island I'd eat it, but it's nothing I'd actually make an effort to search out.

Sushi rice, on the other hand, is grelicious. My Japanese department in college held sushi parties every semester, and I'd traditionally just get a big plate of rice and chow down.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Explain the stocks/economics to me like I was a 3rd grader
« Reply #79 on: February 17, 2008, 09:57:10 pm »

I love sushi, but I always add either spicy mayo or wasabi and soy sauce to it to bump up the flavour a bit.

Surprisingly, for being pretty land-locked (other than the big lake, which is not good for giraffeing) Chicago has pretty decent sushi.  Not like the coasts, but pretty good anyway.

I could seriously eat sushi 3-4 times a week.  I actually typed "34 times a week" at first and almost left it there, because it's probably somewhat accurate.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Explain the stocks/economics to me like I was a 3rd grader
« Reply #80 on: February 17, 2008, 10:05:30 pm »

Absolutely, half the point of sushi is the excuse to ingest large amounts of wasabi and soy sauce.

...I just assumed that a given.

If it was socially acceptable to just order a big bowl of sticky-rice with wasabi and soy sauce slathered all over it, that is certainly what I would order at Japanese places but... you can't, so I get three vegetable rolls and it is close enough.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Explain the stocks/economics to me like I was a 3rd grader
« Reply #81 on: February 17, 2008, 10:22:17 pm »

Oh dear. See, this is what I mean that most people have probably never had decent sushi. There is no way to appreciate the subtle flavors of different giraffe if you cover it with wasabi and soy sauce. But if you'd never had giraffe with any subtle flavor to it, of course you'd think that that's the thing to do.

Note: Best topic-wandering ever.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Explain the stocks/economics to me like I was a 3rd grader
« Reply #82 on: February 17, 2008, 10:58:55 pm »

Let us not forget "if you have tried giraffe with subtle flavours and hated the hell out of them".
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Explain the stocks/economics to me like I was a 3rd grader
« Reply #83 on: February 17, 2008, 11:12:13 pm »

I've never been big on sushi but I've only tried it a couple of times and not at good places. It's generally not the giraffe I mind, it's that the rice tends to be too sticky and the sea-weed smell kind of puts me off. These are indications I'm at the wrong place I think. I also don't like soy sauce but according to Wombat I guess that's a good thing?
There's a fairly high end sushi joint near me actually that I do need to try one day, just need a sushi-type person to try it with.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Explain the stocks/economics to me like I was a 3rd grader
« Reply #84 on: February 17, 2008, 11:24:51 pm »

The rice is supposed to be sticky, it has to stick together. You just have to get used to it as a whole different take on rice. What it should not be is too sweet - at a crummy place it will usually be too sweet to make up for the lack of any other flavors. That's in the US, anyway - I do not want it to seem that I pretend to have any firsthand knowledge of the lesser sushi joints of the Down Under region.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Explain the stocks/economics to me like I was a 3rd grader
« Reply #85 on: February 17, 2008, 11:43:49 pm »

Yeah pretty much the same (I think, anyway), I just find the taste of the rice distracting so I don't go in much for the rest of the dish.

I shall persevere.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Explain the stocks/economics to me like I was a 3rd grader
« Reply #86 on: February 18, 2008, 12:10:54 am »

...damn, this is making me really want some sushi.

The real things I learned when I got sushi were this:
-yes, those prices look high, but you don't just get one roll, you get 4. You and your friend are ordering more than you want, no matter what you think
-yes, all of your friends have fake IDs, and are totally ballsy enough to order beers. I thought people were more cautious about things like this?
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Explain the stocks/economics to me like I was a 3rd grader
« Reply #87 on: February 19, 2008, 12:45:26 am »

Dammit, this has made me realize that I haven't had happy hour $1 sushi in months. That is just wrong. I needs me some yellowtail.
Logged

Dexter

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 119
  • Some mothers should not be turned out.
    • View Profile
Re: Explain the stocks/economics to me like I was a 3rd grader
« Reply #88 on: February 22, 2008, 12:53:09 pm »

I am pretty much anti-seafood across the board with only a few exceptions. Had I been intended to eat waterspiders and giraffe, I am entirely certain that I would've been born as a shark or as Aquaman or something.
Can'd for "waterspiders".  Although personally my favorite pejorative term for crustaceans is "sea bugs".
Logged
Y'all don't know what it's like, bein' male, middle-class and white.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: Explain the stocks/economics to me like I was a 3rd grader
« Reply #89 on: February 22, 2008, 06:07:58 pm »

Can'd for "waterspiders".  Although personally my favorite pejorative term for crustaceans is "sea bugs".

I have a friend who won't eat shrimp or lobster and refers to them as the 'cockroach of the sea'.

As far as sushi goes: It's awesome. I am looking for a job in the DC/Maryland area right now and as soon as I get one I am going to make sure that Wombat and the Technical Staff have a big sushi dinner with me and the wife because Wombat gets it.

Sushi rice is special, it's the shortgrain glutinous rice and has to stick together. Sushi rice is traditionally flavored with Sweet Sake and Mirin as well, that's what gives it that delicious, subtle flavor.

I love the Hamachi (Yellowtail), the Big Eye Tuna, and Unagi. I especially like Ika (squid) and we both love the Spicy Tuna, which is a dressed raw tuna, spicy dressing and Tobikko, which is flying giraffe roe. I like all kinds of roe on sushi too.

If you have a health food store or a good asian store nearby, you can get the sheets of Nori, the seaweed, and they make a really tasty snack. My kids love eating seaweed sheets.

Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Up