See, the housing market is the exact kind of situation I'm talking about. I've thought for at least a couple years, "Someone's going to take a bath on this shit," and if I'd have applied myself perhaps I'd have shorted Countrywide and their ilk.
I sort of did the next best thing. A couple years ago, when the housing bubble was accelerating with no end in sight, the wife and I were seriously talking about getting into the market (buying our first). The thing is - we live in the San Francisco Bay Area, where you need to get a jumbo loan to get a dump, and a line of credit on the side to cover the down payment, etc etc. So as we studied and talked to people and so forth, it became apparent that due to my wife being a teacher, and neither of us having particularly amazing credit - the answer seemed to be to get into a loan where you just pay the interest on the principal (no money down). The theory, as explained to us by casually confident mortgage broker types, is that after the market carries the house up for a while you sell and use the proceeds as a down payment on a house with a fixed rate. Oh yeah - this was one of those shorter term adjustable rate deals. The brokers would work it out for us on paper and show how it all added up. We'd be crazy not to do it! Really! Its a sure thing! Everyone's doing it!
The thing is, I have had many talks with my Dad about what life was like in the days of double-digit inflation. I also was a front seat witness to the tech bubble in 2000/2001 (though thankfully wasn't directly affected by it). It all sounded way too familiar. So I rent. And stick a ridiculous amount of money into IRAs/401Ks. And pay down my damn consumer debt. So we don't own a home. And every day, these days, I thank God for a little foresight and, perhaps, the first glimmerings of wisdom. Because there are a lot of houses for sale around me at the moment, and a sad story behind each of them.