Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

My Dog Has No Nose.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Baby Names  (Read 11341 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Mite

  • Motel 6 Kind of Girl
  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 6
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 584
    • View Profile
Baby Names
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2003, 10:10:12 pm »

I'm always wanted to name a boy Ashoka. Not only is it the name of a pretty cool buddhist emperor, but you could call him Ash for short. Which is so awesome as to cause me physical pain.
Logged
I'm no longer a Bankhead teacher, but I'll still take your cookies.

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Baby Names
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2003, 10:24:15 pm »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
I dunno, a kid named Thor had best be able to defend himself.


'Wrath of' no less...

(doh, forgot Jough's, thought you were referring to Tormad, which is Nordic for Wrath of Thor... fairly straight translation really, and looks cool in the Nordic alphabet)

I pretty much know now that I'd want to use an Asian name for my kid. But like the Enrique worries...
I guess if I marry a Japanese woman it'll be ok.

And as for Thyrudice, I have heard of it before now you mention how it's spelt, and it is a great name, when you don't pronounce it how it's spelt.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Baby Names
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2003, 10:45:35 pm »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
I work with Jimmy James.

I went to camp with a guy named Gerard Larkin III. He went by Chip.


Do you work at a radio station, by any chance?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Baby Names
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2003, 11:20:17 pm »

::awesome NewsRadio reference high-five::

But no, this Jimmy James is kind of our building engineer. His twin (whose name I don't know) works with him.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Baby Names
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2003, 11:40:18 pm »

Quote from: "Mite"
I'm always wanted to name a boy Ashoka. Not only is it the name of a pretty cool buddhist emperor, but you could call him Ash for short. Which is so awesome as to cause me physical pain.


That's so awesome I'm stealing it and adding it to my list.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Baby Names
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2003, 11:41:25 pm »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
Jimmy James is kind of our building engineer. His twin (whose name I don't know) works with him.


Jesse?

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
Baby Names
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2003, 12:46:17 am »

Helvetica is the best name ever.  To be a real nerd, you'd have to name twins Helvetica and Arial, and, like, fight 'em or something.
Logged
goose means greedy

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Baby Names
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2003, 02:59:37 am »

Quote from: "jough"
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Jimmy James is kind of our building engineer. His twin (whose name I don't know) works with him.


Jesse?


How about James Jimmy?

My parents have a friend named Dick Peters.  And there's an attorney here in town named Richard Head.  I went to law school with his brother, Randy, who was absolutely pathological.

I worked with a guy in college named Arvis Dunbar -- I always liked that name, thought it evoked a Cletus the Slack-jawed Yokel type of image.  In fact, Arvis was a 6'6" 300 lb black guy from East St Louis.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
Baby Names
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2003, 09:49:59 pm »

Quote from: "AugustWest"

My parents have a friend named Dick Peters.  And there's an attorney here in town named Richard Head.  I went to law school with his brother, Randy, who was absolutely pathological.
.


Not to endore the turn this thread is taking, but there's a local fellow named Harry Dick.   Very involved in the community, even has a road named after him, in fact.
Logged
goose means greedy

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Baby Names
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2003, 05:43:17 pm »

Quote from: "AugustWest"
I worked with a guy in college named Arvis Dunbar -- I always liked that name, thought it evoked a Cletus the Slack-jawed Yokel type of image.  In fact, Arvis was a 6'6" 300 lb black guy from East St Louis.


I worked with a 300 lb black guy from the mountains of North Carolina named "Prince Romeo" something-or-other.  He was a total player.  

Before he was married, my brother swore he was going to have triplet boys and name them Hosea, Hose-b and Hose-c.  His daughter's name was to be Tatiyana Gucci Kikolski.  (Yes, my maiden name was Kikolski.)  Also high on the list: Boy George Michael Jackson Brown.  

His actual kids are named Austin and Jordan.  My sister-in-law named them.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

AlohaDawg

  • Moderator
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Baby Names
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2003, 06:48:19 pm »

Back in my previous life, when I worked in the VD clinic in Cleveland, I used to make note of the various names I ran across.

My favorite has to be the little one-year old baby named "Zenoblion Durrah".

Runner-up is the girl really truly named (Pronunciation first) Le-MAHN-ge-loh.


She spelled it Lemonjello.
Logged

Mite

  • Motel 6 Kind of Girl
  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 6
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 584
    • View Profile
Baby Names
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2003, 09:56:13 pm »

Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
Runner-up is the girl really truly named (Pronunciation first) Le-MAHN-ge-loh.


She spelled it Lemonjello.

I've heard this one so often I thought it was just an urban legend. Snopes even has a page on it.

At my school we've got some doozies. C'Arica (her sister is Erica, pronounced the same but without the Cee in front), DeAngelo and DeAnthony (twins), Shakira and Shakora (also twins), Sha'Courtney, and about a thousand Roman and Greek sounding Demetriuses and Quintaviouses.
Logged
I'm no longer a Bankhead teacher, but I'll still take your cookies.

AlohaDawg

  • Moderator
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Baby Names
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2003, 12:28:40 am »

Quote from: "Mite"
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
Runner-up is the girl really truly named (Pronunciation first) Le-MAHN-ge-loh.


She spelled it Lemonjello.

I've heard this one so often I thought it was just an urban legend. Snopes even has a page on it.

At my school we've got some doozies. C'Arica (her sister is Erica, pronounced the same but without the Cee in front), DeAngelo and DeAnthony (twins), Shakira and Shakora (also twins), Sha'Courtney, and about a thousand Roman and Greek sounding Demetriuses and Quintaviouses.


She registed in the clinic as Lemonjello. But then again, we had about 250 Walter Paytons in the gonorrhea registry in Chicago.
Logged

Mite

  • Motel 6 Kind of Girl
  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 6
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 584
    • View Profile
Baby Names
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2003, 01:10:06 am »

Awesome. Now I can retell that story and actually believe myself.
Logged
I'm no longer a Bankhead teacher, but I'll still take your cookies.

AlohaDawg

  • Moderator
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Baby Names
« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2003, 03:40:32 am »

Quote from: "Mite"
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
Runner-up is the girl really truly named (Pronunciation first) Le-MAHN-ge-loh.


She spelled it Lemonjello.

I've heard this one so often I thought it was just an urban legend. Snopes even has a page on it.

At my school we've got some doozies. C'Arica (her sister is Erica, pronounced the same but without the Cee in front), DeAngelo and DeAnthony (twins), Shakira and Shakora (also twins), Sha'Courtney, and about a thousand Roman and Greek sounding Demetriuses and Quintaviouses.


Any Hantaviruses? Oh, and I forgot to mention there was also a Latrina and, no shit, really and truly, a Turdell.

Cross my heart and hope never to work in a VD clinic again.
Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up