Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
that Wombat has figured out how to edit the News Box!

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Usborne Book of the Future  (Read 8112 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Usborne Book of the Future
« on: February 01, 2008, 08:19:07 pm »

A glimpse into The Future of the Past -- published in '79 and speculating about technology in "the year 2000 and beyond." 

"With more and more artificial organs available, tomorrow's people might be cyborgs -- half human, half *****s." 

I know there are a cluster of us who were born in '79, so this book is particularly interesting to me since it shows how much things have changed in my lifetime. 

Thoughts?
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Usborne Book of the Future
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2008, 10:02:21 pm »

Awesome.  I remember that book from my junior high school library ('82-'83).  Nice little trip down memory lane.  I used to pull it out of the stacks, sit at a study desk (the kind with soundproof barriers) and lose myself in daydreams of the future.  Funny how autonomous cars were predicted for the 1980-1990 decade and are still "just a couple years" in the future.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Usborne Book of the Future
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2008, 11:35:11 pm »

Well, I was 16 days old at the time...
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Usborne Book of the Future
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2008, 12:59:46 am »

The Apollo 11 landing is the first clear "current events" type memory I can recall.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: Usborne Book of the Future
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2008, 01:20:46 am »

First news story I vaguely remember: The 1984 Olympics
First news story that got "burned into my memory:" The Challenger explosion
Logged

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Usborne Book of the Future
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2008, 02:44:19 am »

5th grade, standing outside my portable classroom, OKC bombing.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Usborne Book of the Future
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2008, 02:49:55 am »

Those of us who are old enough to remember Apollo 11 can take heart from this story.  It's all uphill from here!

And you know, it's just as well that the future turned out not to have those flying cars they promised us. Looking at the drivers around you, would you really want them to be able to leave the ground?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: Usborne Book of the Future
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2008, 02:53:11 am »

This is true - most people in cars today can barely master two dimensions, much less a third.
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Usborne Book of the Future
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2008, 03:28:08 am »

First news story I vaguely remember: The 1984 Olympics
First news story that got "burned into my memory:" The Challenger explosion

Ditto.

I also vividly remember the '84 Presidential election.  It was the first time I got to stay up late to watch the election returns. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Usborne Book of the Future
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2008, 03:35:10 am »

First burned-in memory: 1986 World Series, game six, Wilson hits a slow grounder down the first base line...

I dunno, kids, that's just how I roll/ed.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Usborne Book of the Future
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2008, 03:41:03 am »

My first memory of current events is the first gulf war.
I'll just get off your lawn now, eh guys?
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Usborne Book of the Future
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2008, 04:10:57 am »

The OKC bombing was first burned into my head, the Giants- Bills Super Bowl is the first thing like this that I remember remembering.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Usborne Book of the Future
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2008, 04:14:06 am »

The Apollo 11 landing is the first clear "current events" type memory I can recall.

This reminds me of a discussion on the radio the other day. The guest was arguing that Ted Kennedy's endorsement of Obama is meaningless because most people don't really care about Ted Kennedy. The host said anything done by a Kennedy is automatically important. It went on forever and seemed to boil down to whether you consider the JFK/RFK assassinations to be "current events" or "a chapter we never made it to in history class."
Logged

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Usborne Book of the Future
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2008, 04:17:12 am »

I think my first big memory is Mi Madre was active duty in the first iraq war. The one where we sent american lives to protect oil fields in Kuwait. I remember this because I had to live in El Paso and I was surrounded by barren mountains and desert.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: Usborne Book of the Future
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2008, 04:19:20 am »

How could anyone consider an admittedly important event that happened 40+ years ago a "current event"?

On the Usborne books side: I love that space-age calculator watch dude was wearing, with the red LED display. I remember when the first digital watches came out, you had to push the button to see the time and it only came in red LED.

Usborne books are much better today. They focus a lot more on truly educational things without the rampant speculation of that particular book.

If you want to help a split-up family make a little money so we can get back together, buy a book or two from my wife here.
Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up