Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood It's National Johnny Cash Raise Hell Awareness Saturday Night. Go out and Fuck Shit Up in a Way That You Believe In!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: On Super Tuesday: warning - Politics!  (Read 13479 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: On Super Tuesday: warning - Politics!
« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2008, 10:49:00 pm »

Like I said, it has nothing to do with sex. It has to do with how a person will handle stress in the most stressful job.
Both of you are making her sex the issue, thats not the point im making.

The "crying" episode is display of emotion, just like Howard Dean's primal scream 4 years ago. 

I liked the humanity Dean showed when he let loose, and while I'm not a fan of Clinton, I don't think her reaction was planned or scripted.  I think it was sincere. 

That said, Dean's emotional outburst may have cost him the election, and I don't see why the fact that Clinton is a woman should change whether or not people are willing to accept her emotional display. 

So, I guess I agree with acap? 

Happy Birthday.  Don't get used to it.  ;)
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: On Super Tuesday: warning - Politics!
« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2008, 11:38:04 pm »

I agree with a-cap here. To not vote for someone based on their social status and skin color is just as weak as voting for someone based on the same. Vote for who you think most closely aligns with your beliefs, or at least someone who you can stomach in office.

As far as the US not wanting a black man or a woman as president, I'm pretty sure that that's overwhelmingly false. If Colin Powell ever decided to get off his ass and run, we'd have a black president. People will vote for who represents them, and who they think can win. It's just that there is rarely a candidate of color or a woman that has the base of support and the broad appeal necessary to run a competitive campaign. I think that America, in general, is ready for a non-white or woman president. The question is, will it be Barak or Hillary? I guess we'll find out in November.
Logged

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: On Super Tuesday: warning - Politics!
« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2008, 11:43:05 pm »

I agree with a-cap here.

So, I guess I agree with acap? 

Its only my birthday once a year, I guess.

Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: On Super Tuesday: warning - Politics!
« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2008, 12:00:56 am »


That said, Dean's emotional outburst may have cost him the election, and I don't see why the fact that Clinton is a woman should change whether or not people are willing to accept her emotional display. 

Yeah, but I think it does. And what's noteworthy is that prior to this, people complained that she was cold and unfeeling... which is not OK for a woman.  But one slight display of emotion and now she's too hysterical to rule the country. It seems to me that there's no personality type that's both acceptable for a woman in this country, and also acceptable for a president. The sets don't intersect. Yet.

I hope I am wrong. I hope I just see it this way because I am Old and that all you younguns are accurately reporting the mood of your generation. I hope if Hillary loses, it's for the same reason she'd lose if she was a man, which is that she has a really lousy stage presence and no one wants to face listening to her on television for four long years.

In other news... it is reported that several hundred people in Virginia called to complain that their polling places were not open. It was explained to them that this was because their primary is not until next week. You gotta love a well informed electorate, huh?


Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: On Super Tuesday: warning - Politics!
« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2008, 12:17:21 am »

My most neat and tidy metaphor for Nader is as such:

Yes, it is awesome to be an ambulance driver. It is awesome to be a good one.

But if you want to grandstand and go eighty miles an hour to get a kid having an asthma attack to the hospital quickly because you want to be a hero and you run over and kill ten people on the way to the hospital?

Then fuck you.

Your going heroically above and beyond the call of duty to help Little Billy doesn't change the fact that you are a murderer.

Also, he has said he will run if Clinton gets the nomination. Still. STILL!

Dude wants to kill again, to extend the above metaphor.

(Cliff Floyd let Willie Randolph put him on the 2006 NLCS roster when he couldn't play, so that he could be a trooper and a hero and when the chips were down, Willie used him and he sucked when some other pinch-hitter might'a done SOMETHING. Ripped my goddamn heart out just to look like a guy playing heroically wounded. He can eat Satan's dick in hell. I do not have to be reasonable about sports, sports are not here for being reasonable about, in fact, they are there so that there is something we can safely vent our unreasonableness through.)
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: On Super Tuesday: warning - Politics!
« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2008, 12:18:03 am »

I'm sure I've said this before somewhere, but I wish we could change the way primaries are timed.  This rush to "be the earliest" business is silly.  I say we let Iowa and New Hampshire go first for auld lang syne, then everyone else gets in a lottery for 7-10 blocks through the spring.  That should give candidates the spacing to tune their messages, states like Florida and Michigan won't get their delegates taken away for being rude and pushing to the front of the line, and various states will get to take turns being irrelevant (or critical) at the end of the process.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: On Super Tuesday: warning - Politics!
« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2008, 01:04:49 am »

Why is that a completely unacceptable thing to want in a president, but the millions of people who say stuff like "Im voting for hillary because its time for a woman" or "Im voting for obama because hes black" is totally okay and progressive? I think all three of these are weak reasons to choose a president, but I question why its ok for people to rant on about the latter two but should be ashamed of the first.

If you're spending all your daddy's money on that expensive degree, and you still can't grasp basic concepts about oppression or learn a tiny bit of history, then damn. I'm not taking your bullshit bait.
Logged

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: On Super Tuesday: warning - Politics!
« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2008, 01:06:30 am »

If you're spending all your daddy's money on that expensive degree, and you still can't grasp basic concepts about oppression or learn a tiny bit of history, then damn. I'm not taking your bullshit bait.

I pay for college myself, thanks though at trying to insult me, because youve made yourself look foolish for assuming something about me. The last dollar I got from my father was when his life insurance paid out, and that went to hospital bills for my mom.

If you still can't grasp concepts of how racism against the majority is still racism, then damn, Im not taking your bullshit either.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2008, 01:17:02 am by Arachno-capitalist »
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: On Super Tuesday: warning - Politics!
« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2008, 01:14:10 am »

Quote from: Arachno-capitalist
how racism against the majority is still racism

Dude, c'mon. I realize that on a dude's birthday, he generally gets a one-time trolling pass but c'mon.

Seriously, don't abuse that birthday privledge with definition abuse like that.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: On Super Tuesday: warning - Politics!
« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2008, 01:14:55 am »

This is the Politics thread, not Personal Abuse, people. Please don't make me lock it just when I was enjoying how much of it is being spent on Ralph Nader when he isn't even running.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: On Super Tuesday: warning - Politics!
« Reply #40 on: February 06, 2008, 01:16:12 am »

Dude, c'mon. I realize that on a dude's birthday, he generally gets a one-time trolling pass but c'mon.

Seriously, don't abuse that birthday privledge with definition abuse like that.

What? http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=define%3A+racism&btnG=Google+Search.
The definition of racism is pretty clear. Choosing to vote FOR someone because of their race is just as ridiculous as choosing to vote AGAINST someone for their race.

Im here saying racism in politics is bad, and still LFM says im trolling?
« Last Edit: February 06, 2008, 01:20:29 am by Arachno-capitalist »
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: On Super Tuesday: warning - Politics!
« Reply #41 on: February 06, 2008, 01:20:27 am »

My problem with Hillary crying is that it seemed completely staged, cynical and calculating.  I'd respect her more if I thought it had been a genuine display of emotion, but I don't see either of the Clintons engaging in something so spontaneous in the midst of a campaign.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: On Super Tuesday: warning - Politics!
« Reply #42 on: February 06, 2008, 01:23:37 am »

I've got to agree with Peter Parker here:  voting for someone based upon their gender or race is wrong, nnn'kay?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: On Super Tuesday: warning - Politics!
« Reply #43 on: February 06, 2008, 01:28:20 am »

I don't know that racism is the right word, but I got to agree with acap.

re:Nader- I was just trying to say like everything you said was wrong or debatable, trying to prove a point that you need to be more clear LFM.  I mean, I understand how you feel, but if you can't make one reasonable argument why not just tell us how you feel instead of writing a page of bullshit.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: On Super Tuesday: warning - Politics!
« Reply #44 on: February 06, 2008, 01:34:06 am »

Quote
Yeah, but I think it does. And what's noteworthy is that prior to this, people complained that she was cold and unfeeling... which is not OK for a woman.  But one slight display of emotion and now she's too hysterical to rule the country. It seems to me that there's no personality type that's both acceptable for a woman in this country, and also acceptable for a president. The sets don't intersect. Yet.

This is exactly what I am saying.

Right now I'm just imagining "My name is Barack Obama, and I'm withdrawing from the race. In fact, statisticians have told me that I should have spent more time trying to encourage college students who come from states with extremely late primaries, like North Carolina, to vote in states where they go to college, which have early primaries. IF ONLY I'D KNOWN."
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up