Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Barely passed Oregon driver's test. Lots of rules about Yielding to the Distraught and slow-moving salmon trucks on one-way switchbacks.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Feb 7, 2008 - That is one damn rude bird  (Read 5977 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Feb 7, 2008 - That is one damn rude bird
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2008, 06:25:46 pm »

Oh, see, I think that the Beatles were on a completely different plane from any other musical group I have heard, ever. Everything they made is Golden.

They could have recorded a fart, and put some piano and guitar behind it, and I would want to listen to that song, I think.

I realize this is maybe ridiculous, but the number of times I have listened to some old Beatles' song and freaked the FUCK out about how good it was is... overwhelming.
I actually do this thing where I have different... I don't even know what the word is, but I think of certain bands in ways so different from other bands that I can't even compare them. The Beatles are one of those bands.

which reminds me, we had that argument before where I was saying the Clash are not punk, and about a month later I finally realized what I was trying to say.
The Clash were not punk, in the same way the Beatles were not a Merseybeat group (I had to look this term up).
"White Riot" is punk. "Love me Do" is Merseybeat.
"Spanish Bombs" is not punk. "A Day in the Life" is not Merseybeat.
But both of those groups grew so much beyond their original sound that just calling them Punk or Merseybeat is missing what made them great. This is what I think I was trying to say.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Feb 7, 2008 - That is one damn rude bird
« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2008, 08:08:49 pm »

in the same way the Beatles were not a Merseybeat group (I had to look this term up).

Huh. Edu-fuck*ng-cation.

Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: Feb 7, 2008 - That is one damn rude bird
« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2008, 08:31:12 pm »

I caught Casablanca on the big screen, some 10 years ago.

Afterwards I was asked what I thought.   "It was ok.  It was pretty cliché."

It seems like a lot of the time (not necessarily this one, you guys know your shit) when people call things overrated, they lack context and are looking at it in retrospect. "Shakespeare is overrated" is another favorite of mine. Last semester a kid in one of my classes said that Plato wasn't a very good writer.

Logged

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Feb 7, 2008 - That is one damn rude bird
« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2008, 08:38:03 pm »

The one I always remember is from when cartoon network did short interstitials of famous cartoon characters doing famous scenes from contemporary movies.  Shaggy (from Scooby Doo) and Droopy (the dog, from old Tex Avery cartoons) driving in a red convertible . . . hey whadayaknow, I found it.

"In Morocco, Morocco Mole is just called 'Mole.'"  HELLS YES
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Feb 7, 2008 - That is one damn rude bird
« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2008, 08:54:01 pm »

I caught Casablanca on the big screen, some 10 years ago.

Afterwards I was asked what I thought.   "It was ok.  It was pretty cliché."


I hate it when I watch/read/etc something that started a cliché and can't really get into. Because I'm familiar with the followers all I can think of are things that the imitators improved on or elements that seem lame because they've been done to death since.
Logged

colmore

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 56
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 379
  • Sorry Mom, Sorry Dad, Sorry College
    • View Profile
Re: Feb 7, 2008 - That is one damn rude bird
« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2008, 09:27:28 pm »

And if you don't really watch for what other movies *weren't* doing at the time, Citizen Kane is a really good fictional biography, but a little heavy handed, and only so well acted.  Touch of Evil is probably a better fit for modern audiences.

Overrated/Underrated.  Citizen Kane is pretty well rated as among the most important popular American movies and also having a lot of merit in the way that is judged for movies of its day.  But that doesn't mean anyone has to like it.  Or Plato (who is frequently translated to be very dry).  Or the Beatles.  Or what anyone puts up in any art gallery.  Or Achewood.  Or anything.  If you disagree with a widely held critical belief, you likely place your aesthetic priorities in a different place than those critics do.  Since it's all, at its root, faulty logic based on unprovable assumptions, don't worry about the taste of authorities.

And don't worry about the taste of some nerd whose area of geeking out happens to overlap in one or two places with your music collection.  And don't worry when that nerd says, perhaps with even a bunch of little references and nerdy little arguments that something is SO great and nobody has heard of it and everyone should.  They're really just flipping out over finding a new song they like, like anyone else, they just happen to be saying "oh I think this is so great" in music nerd talk.  Probably even if they dress too alt-fancy and live in Williamsburg, Austin, or Portland.
Logged
In Capitalist America, bank robs you!

Enkidu

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 13
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 42
  • I think my hearts explodin! THESE KNIVES!
    • View Profile
Re: Feb 7, 2008 - That is one damn rude bird
« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2008, 11:54:56 pm »

I hate it when I watch/read/etc something that started a cliché and can't really get into. Because I'm familiar with the followers all I can think of are things that the imitators improved on or elements that seem lame because they've been done to death since.

I'm that way with the Rolling Stones and Weird Al polka covers.
Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up