Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Have some dignity.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Feb 7, 2008 - That is one damn rude bird  (Read 5970 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Feb 7, 2008 - That is one damn rude bird
« on: February 07, 2008, 01:52:57 pm »

http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=02072008

I'm always happy to seen Roomba movie re-enactments but I was never all that crazy about Pulp Fiction. For which I caught no end of flack in 9th grade.

Their hair and Beef's mustache are pretty tight, though.
Logged

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Feb 7, 2008 - That is one damn rude bird
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2008, 03:17:59 pm »

I LOLed pretty hard on this one. French people are just plain silly.
Also, weren't we all supposed to die of bird flu like 5 years ago or something? What ever happened to that?
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Feb 7, 2008 - That is one damn rude bird
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2008, 03:41:52 pm »

I'm always happy to seen Roomba movie re-enactments but I was never all that crazy about Pulp Fiction. For which I caught no end of flack in 9th grade.

Dammit, and I thought you were cool.

Bacon tastes goooood.  Pork chops taste goooooooood.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: Feb 7, 2008 - That is one damn rude bird
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2008, 03:50:58 pm »

I like Pulp Fiction, but I think a lot of people don't see how silly it is sometimes, they're just like, "OMG, masterpiece!" This strip riffs on the silliness a little, that's all.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Feb 7, 2008 - That is one damn rude bird
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2008, 03:53:37 pm »

I went through the same thing with Jurassic Park in middle school. Both are fine flicks, but for not claiming them as the best ever I was shunned. I was also pretty tired of hearing the Pulp Fiction soundtrack every fricking day.

Now Rent I thought was all but unwatchable. That opinion practically got me ejected from drama.
Logged

colmore

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 56
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 379
  • Sorry Mom, Sorry Dad, Sorry College
    • View Profile
Re: Feb 7, 2008 - That is one damn rude bird
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2008, 04:23:07 pm »

You know what else is OK but is definitely not the damn best picture of all dime?  Donnie Darko.  Sheesh, I caught flack for that one in frikkin' college.

Bird Flu are a hardcore band in Athens, Georgia.  They're fun, but I think we're safe.
Logged
In Capitalist America, bank robs you!

chuanoplast

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 33
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 234
  • Most Painful Part
    • View Profile
    • Stupid Blog
Re: Feb 7, 2008 - That is one damn rude bird
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2008, 06:14:54 pm »

I wonder if Teodore can dance on the Roomba.
Logged
The most important decision in my life: the rabbit mug or the monkey mug. (PS I GOT THE KITTY MUG)

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Feb 7, 2008 - That is one damn rude bird
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2008, 06:57:18 pm »

Tragically- or fortunately - I have never seen Pulp Fiction, so I don't get this at all.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Feb 7, 2008 - That is one damn rude bird
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2008, 07:48:30 pm »

Tragically- or fortunately - I have never seen Pulp Fiction, so I don't get this at all.

And you've never even heard reference to the Royal with Cheese conversation? Come on, the Simpsons did a bit about that with Krustyburgers.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Feb 7, 2008 - That is one damn rude bird
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2008, 08:11:46 pm »

That does sound vaguely familiar now that you mention it but I wouldn't have known it was from Pulp Fiction. Wasn't that a movie where they shoot a lot of people? Why would they be talking about hamburgers in France?

I don't watch the Simpsons enough either so that doesn't help.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Feb 7, 2008 - That is one damn rude bird
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2008, 08:22:04 pm »

Yeah, "Pulp Fiction" is a decent movie but it is heavily overrated.

The direction and the dialogue are top-notch and some of the character moments are really quite awesome but... there's a whole lot of hipster-pop-culture-douchery and violence-worship in the mix there to counter-act the really good bits.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Feb 7, 2008 - That is one damn rude bird
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2008, 08:25:01 pm »

It's Quentin Tarantino. Quirky dialog and ultraviolence are like his trade marks.

Vincent: You know what the funniest thing about Europe is?
Jules: What?
Vincent: It's the little differences. I mean they got the same shit over there that they got here, but it's just - it's just there it's a little different.
Jules: Examples?
Vincent: Alright, well you can walk into a movie theater in Amsterdam and buy a beer. And I don't mean just like in no paper cup, I'm talking about a glass of beer. And in Paris, you can buy a beer at McDonald's. And you know what they call a, uh, a Quarter Pounder with Cheese in Paris?
Jules: They don't call it a Quarter Pounder with Cheese?
Vincent: Nah, man, they got the metric system, they wouldn't know what the fuck a Quarter Pounder is.
Jules: What do they call it?
Vincent: They call it a "Royale with Cheese."
Jules: "Royale with Cheese."
Vincent: Thats right.
Jules: What do they call a Big Mac?
Vincent: A Big Mac's a Big Mac, but they call it "Le Big Mac."
Jules: "Le Big Mac." [laughs] What do they call a Whopper?
Vincent: I dunno, I didn't go into Burger King. But, you know what they put on french fries in Holland instead of ketchup?
Jules: What?
Vincent: Mayonnaise.
Jules: God damn!
Vincent: I seen 'em do it, man, they fuckin' drown 'em in that shit.
Jules: That's some fucked up shit.


I also just noticed that the alt text says both "edged out" and "landslide." Aren't those antonyms?
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Feb 7, 2008 - That is one damn rude bird
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2008, 08:35:21 pm »

Yeah, that's kinda the thing. I'm not much of a Tarantino fan at all and... in some of the circles I've moved in at points of my life, I might as well have two heads to say that.

There's no doubt that he's a talented screenwriter and a solid director but... instead of making good movies pretty well, he likes taking awful ideas and awful genres remaking them really well. Arthouse versions of direct-to-video crap.

In "Pulp Fiction" there were these... hints of the talented filmmaker rising above all the chopsocky bangbang quip-quip bullshit and those were the parts of Pulp Fiction I really quite liked... and then the rest was a bunch of people talking about ALF and shooting each other in the balls or whatever.

Basically, I only like Tarantino's stuff when he isn't being Tarantino.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Feb 7, 2008 - That is one damn rude bird
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2008, 08:37:18 pm »

That does sound vaguely familiar now that you mention it but I wouldn't have known it was from Pulp Fiction. Wasn't that a movie where they shoot a lot of people? Why would they be talking about hamburgers in France?

By my rough count, they shoot four people.  Whether that constitutes "a lot" probably depends on how many action movies you watch.

I love Pulp Fiction.  I know it has its flaws, but it's one of those movies that when I'm surfing past Encore and it's on, I end up watching it just about every time.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
Re: Feb 7, 2008 - That is one damn rude bird
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2008, 09:18:05 pm »

There's no doubt that he's a talented screenwriter and a solid director but... instead of making good movies pretty well, he likes taking awful ideas and awful genres remaking them really well. Arthouse versions of direct-to-video crap.

We postulate first that some people enjoy the usually-done-poorly ideas and genres which Tarantino enjoys remaking, and moreover that they are neither idiots nor bad people for doing so. This may be difficult for some of us, but it is a necessary step.

Next, we imagine that in our own favorite genres or conceits, most directors do not put much effort into their films. This will be easier for some of us than others depending on what one's favorite genre might be.

Now we imagine how we would feel if told that, because that genre is usually done badly, the directors who put effort into it are wasting their time and should be doing something else. Or, perhaps, we imagine that a director has started to put effort and talent into films of this genre without doing that thing where someone unfamiliar with the genre creates a movie superficially within the genre but substantially of another genre so as to get mainstream reviewers praising you as the first person to do well with the genre ever. (cf. reviews in mainstream publications whenever a Real Novelist works on a superhero comic book and addresses issues that she's absolutely sure she's the first writer ever to address in comics because, y'know, she's a Real Novelist.)

Anyhow, this is how the Tarantino fans I know feel about him: that he's a director who is applying directing ability to usually-poorly-implemented genres they like in a non-deconstructive and non-hostile-to-the-fans-of-those-movies fashion.
Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up