Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Crime drama, 1980: Magnum PI. 2005: NUMB3RS. One based on smiling and helicopters, one on showcasing higher math. Explain discrepancy.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Your Number One Election Issue  (Read 16043 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Death Ray

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 4
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 151
    • View Profile
    • Deep Fried, webcomics' dirty little secret
Your Number One Election Issue
« on: February 12, 2008, 01:48:45 am »

So, by now most of y'all must know what it is you will be voting about come November. What are Achewood fans' number one concern? The War? The Other War? Healthcare? The holy-shit-they-just-went-up-another-nickel-while-I-typed-this-sentence gas prices? What say you?
Logged

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: Your Number One Election Issue
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2008, 02:38:07 am »

The fact that everyone else on the planet hates us so damn much. That's the issue that matters the most to me. My daughter is almost four. I don't want her to spend her life living in the country that is The Bad Guy.
Logged

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Your Number One Election Issue
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2008, 02:43:09 am »

The ratcheting effect of exploding blob sized government. Also, Blowback.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Your Number One Election Issue
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2008, 02:45:40 am »

The fact that everyone else on the planet hates us so damn much. That's the issue that matters the most to me. My daughter is almost four. I don't want her to spend her life living in the country that is The Bad Guy.
Wouldn't it be worth it though if you could have a charismatic evil dude as a leader? I don't mean wrinkled old evil like Cheney but a serious unrepentant evil sonofabitch with stylish black outfits with huge collars a goatee.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Your Number One Election Issue
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2008, 02:48:09 am »

I swear, my number one election issue is on the verge of being, I won't vote for anyone who calls up my phone with a recorded message about voting for him/her.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Your Number One Election Issue
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2008, 02:51:40 am »

Hot Coffee, idiotic over reactions to
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Your Number One Election Issue
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2008, 02:53:05 am »

top three, probably:
the fact that people really hate us lately

the fact that we are destroying the environment and I worry that I will be living in a wasteland in 40 years when Sens. McCain, Clinton, and Obama will be dead or senile

the fact that torturing people is so incredibly stupid and inhuman and unamerican that it makes me want to slap people. it doesn't work, either. This is really the one, quite frankly, that is pretty make-or-break to me. The only time in my life I have gotten so mad that I started screaming at someone (and possibly used the word Fuck in class) was when this one guy tried to defend the use of torture. Although I have been a pussy about that other times.
I heard this one interview with a guy who was imprisoned in Guantanamo because he pissed off someone in government in some other country (Turkey), and he told his fellow prisoners "it's OK, we're being given to the Americans. They won't torture us. they're good, kind people. I've been to their country, and Americans treat everyone with dignity."
I also heard an interview where an Air Force officer who used to run some kind of interrogation unit in the 90s talked about how the methods being used in Iraq/gitmo/etc are ineffective, and we didn't even use them on Nazis in WWII because back then we knew they were so ineffective, and thought they were inhumane. We had a lot of success in WWII with getting captured Germans to talk by... treating them well and gaining their trust.
Both of those made me want to slap some people, and also cry for our country.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: Your Number One Election Issue
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2008, 02:56:02 am »

Wouldn't it be worth it though if you could have a charismatic evil dude as a leader? I don't mean wrinkled old evil like Cheney but a serious unrepentant evil sonofabitch with stylish black outfits with huge collars a goatee.

Only if it's Chuck D, and he brings the S1W with him.
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Your Number One Election Issue
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2008, 03:01:07 am »

I would like less war, please, and definitely less wars that can logically only lead to even more wars.

In a strong but distant second, socializing medicine. C'mon people. Everyone with electricity other than us fuckin' has this. Lets quit being piddling dicks about a little bit more in taxes and fuckin' get on it. Seriously.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Your Number One Election Issue
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2008, 03:06:22 am »

... but Chuck D isn't awesome, he is like the best ever. I love Chuck D.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Your Number One Election Issue
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2008, 03:29:20 am »

Yea, and he isn't evil.

One issue?  Well there are so many, but if I am going to be selgiraffe it is the other war.  If not, basically just someone who will completely reverse the last 8 years.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Your Number One Election Issue
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2008, 04:20:07 am »

Out of curiosity what are opinions on the Afganistan war? It's certainly more well recieved over here since it's gone a bit more smoothly, seems to have a definite enemy and was, arguably, a much more horrible regime than Saddam's, but I find myself wondering how much of that is just media bias. There certainly don't seem to be as many people crying for us to pull our troops out of there anyway.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Your Number One Election Issue
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2008, 04:32:15 am »

Out of curiosity what are opinions on the Afganistan war? It's certainly more well recieved over here since it's gone a bit more smoothly, seems to have a definite enemy and was, arguably, a much more horrible regime than Saddam's, but I find myself wondering how much of that is just media bias. There certainly don't seem to be as many people crying for us to pull our troops out of there anyway.
It has gone just as poor as the Iraq war. The Taliban is still very much alilve, as is A-Q and Usama. The upside is that the opium poppy, which was suppressed by religious fundamentalists, is at an all time high in production. Heroin is cheaper and more potent than any other time in history, and its coming from Afghanistan. The DEA has admitted our troops are essentially a free armored guard for opium production. Spike up, kids, we've exported democracy!
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: Your Number One Election Issue
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2008, 04:33:43 am »

I'm pretty sure that the number one attitude concerning Afgahnistan is a solid, emphatic, "meh." I mean, it's good we toppled the Taliban and all, but it is seriously on the way back burner in the minds of most Americans. And most Europeans, apparently, because our secretary of defense is having a heck of a time getting any of them to commit more than warm fuzzies to the endeavour.

Randall Flagg for President! Oh wait....nevermind.
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Your Number One Election Issue
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2008, 04:57:48 am »

What's been horrifically poetic is that... y'know... the longer and the more force we put into the charade of the "improving" Iraq, the more Afghanistan regresses into great swirling bowl of senseless awful.

The centre shall not hold, hepcats.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up