Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Barely passed Oregon driver's test. Lots of rules about Yielding to the Distraught and slow-moving salmon trucks on one-way switchbacks.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: 5/29/03 Russian Actuary (10-29-03)  (Read 3605 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
5/29/03 Russian Actuary (10-29-03)
« on: October 29, 2003, 10:44:12 pm »

Huh.  So.  Just not exactly sure how to react to this one.  Nice bit of background.  The T man is Russian.  

So, were the Camels T-Adore's or his mom's boyfriend's?

Strip.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 05:07:01 am by Nabubrush »
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
5/29/03 Russian Actuary
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2003, 11:14:53 pm »

Teador does smoke. And his dad would know all about how that would impact his life expectancy.

Does anybody else find it weird that Teador has apparently never had hair even though his parents were doing pretty well in the head fungus department.
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
5/29/03 Russian Actuary
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2003, 11:25:59 pm »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
Does anybody else find it weird that Teador has apparently never had hair even though his parents were doing pretty well in the head fungus department.

He has, at one point, sported Archie hair. I always assumed it to be like Roast Beef's hair, present but invisible when drawn.

That said, I wonder why Teodor's speaking of his parents in the past tense. They're presumably not dead, since Teodor just got a hand-me-down boat from his dad in February, and the fact that his dad gave him the boat means he's probably not disowned. Did he get kicked out of the house for his low life expectancycigarettes and thus end up in House Achewood? Or what?

(This may be the best-documented post on this board ever.)
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
5/29/03 Russian Actuary
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2003, 11:38:06 pm »

V-Adore, I swear I can find work for you to do if you're bored.

Why is this said to be the May 29th comic, though, instead of October (according to August's topic title)?

And is it just me or does anyone else think it's odd for a stuffed bear to talk about being "born."  Doesn't he mean "created in a Mexican factory"?

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
5/29/03 Russian Actuary
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2003, 12:06:47 am »

I love it. The idea of the heart-wrenching pain the thought of a family member's smoking habit might bring to him in his line of work.
I don't know, just comes across as this wonderful, melancholy, surreal image to me. Can't quite place why I liked it so much...
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
5/29/03 Russian Actuary
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2003, 12:13:20 am »

I guess I just found it weird since Beef always had period hair-styles in memories/pictures/flashbacks but Teador looks the same. Maybe he just normally keeps the same "non-style"

He's only using the past tense because he doesn't actually live with them anymore. The implied phrase is "when I was growing up" or "when I was at home."

Philippe having a mom never seemed to bother anybody.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
5/29/03 Russian Actuary
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2003, 12:16:43 am »

Ray has spoken on the phone to his mom, too.

bluebird_of_unhappiness

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 48
    • View Profile
5/29/03 Russian Actuary
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2003, 02:04:24 am »

I've noticed in many cartoons that, quite often, a character's parents share several, if not all, of their child's physical traits.  Of course, genetics make the child resemble their parents, but what are the odds of husband and wife sharing identical traits?

ie: Milhouse's parents on The Simpsons

Just my observation.  Useless, really.
Logged
Who is fat?  Me (I am).

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
5/29/03 Russian Actuary
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2003, 02:54:40 am »

Quote from: "jough"
V-Adore, I swear I can find work for you to do if you're bored.

Why is this said to be the May 29th comic, though, instead of October (according to August's topic title)?

And is it just me or does anyone else think it's odd for a stuffed bear to talk about being "born."  Doesn't he mean "created in a Mexican factory"?


What?  What are you saying?  It... It's not really May?  But, if it's not May and it's really October where have I been for the past 5 months.  

Wow.  Maybe that explains all the newspapers on the front porch.  I'll be back in a while, I gotta take a really extended whiz now.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
5/29/03 Russian Actuary
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2003, 03:38:03 am »

AW's constantly rotating titles are actually getting pretty entertaining.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
5/29/03 Russian Actuary
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2003, 05:17:17 am »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
AW's constantly rotating titles are actually getting pretty entertaining.


I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

Is there some setting I need to change on my browser?  My title seems to be in a completely normal type style and not rotating or otherwise animated in any fashion at all.  

What am I missing?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

V-Adore

  • Guest
5/29/03 Russian Actuary
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2003, 07:10:45 am »

Title... DRAMA!!

"A really extended whiz" is a great phrase. Had I a little more time on my hands, I'd petition Onstad to give it a place in a strip.

Anyway. That said... I presumed Teodor's parents looked a lot alike because of similar background as Russian-born (-manufactured?) stuffed bears, presumably from a baseline with very little individual variation.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
5/29/03 Russian Actuary
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2003, 02:21:43 pm »

There is only one type of stuffed bear. The Bear of The People!
Logged

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
5/29/03 Russian Actuary
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2003, 02:41:40 pm »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
There is only one type of stuffed bear. The Bear of The People!


Communist bears. Very appropriate.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
5/29/03 Russian Actuary
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2003, 02:39:04 pm »

I could make a horrible joke about the Pooh-latariate.  But I won't.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up