Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Italian food is like pornography. I can’t define it, but I know when I have paid too much.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "Mature" War Game  (Read 3731 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Death Ray

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 4
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 151
    • View Profile
    • Deep Fried, webcomics' dirty little secret
"Mature" War Game
« on: February 18, 2008, 09:15:55 pm »

Flipping through a comic book recently I, a full grown adult enjoying children's literature, was nonetheless galled to come across this boastful endorsement contained within a video game advertisement:



The ad included these screen shots from the game:

 


The fact that this "mature" war game features a cousin of Ash Ketchum facing down a tripple-turreted goof tank made me wonder what the makers of Advance Wars consider "maturity" to be. A visit to their website, however, confirms that their game does indeed take a stern, adult look at the grisly realities of war, as reflected in the following screen captures.









 

 

 
Logged

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
Re: "Mature" War Game
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2008, 10:22:15 pm »

Ha ha! See, it's hilarious because Japanese cartoons are all tentacles and Pokemon! Oh man, fresh comedy stylings.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: "Mature" War Game
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2008, 10:57:37 pm »

this made me sad, because I really liked the old Advance Wars games.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: "Mature" War Game
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2008, 12:23:44 am »

I have heard that the new Advance Wars is a little goofy, but the art style isn't really the culprit. The culprit, instead, is... well, over-fanciful post-apocalyptic stylings, but is there a market for wargames about a super-realistic apocalypse? Besides "not me?"
Logged

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: "Mature" War Game
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2008, 12:28:44 am »

I saw the screen that started out with "What you say..." and all I could think of was that it had to be a Zero Wing reference.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: "Mature" War Game
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2008, 12:37:10 am »

Dang, I was hoping "Mature" War Games was some kind of combat-oriented sexplay.

Death Ray

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 4
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 151
    • View Profile
    • Deep Fried, webcomics' dirty little secret
Re: "Mature" War Game
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2008, 02:09:13 am »

I have heard that the new Advance Wars is a little goofy, but the art style isn't really the culprit. The culprit, instead, is... well, over-fanciful post-apocalyptic stylings, but is there a market for wargames about a super-realistic apocalypse? Besides "not me?"

Well, I suppose if there were a market for watching bald fallout victims clawing each others eyes out over a can of peaches....
Logged

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: "Mature" War Game
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2008, 04:38:09 am »

Well, I suppose if there were a market for watching bald fallout victims clawing each others eyes out over a can of peaches....
I hear that's going to be a minigame in fallout 3.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: "Mature" War Game
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2008, 05:31:06 pm »

Dang, I was hoping "Mature" War Games was some kind of combat-oriented sexplay.

Email spam has ruined me. I see "mature" in any context, and I immediately think it's related to porn involving the...youth-challenged.
Logged

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: "Mature" War Game
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2008, 05:47:07 pm »

This thread is fun.

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: "Mature" War Game
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2008, 06:26:44 pm »

Dang, I was hoping "Mature" War Games was some kind of combat-oriented sexplay.

Gramps casts LmnPrty for 95 Dmg.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: "Mature" War Game
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2008, 09:51:23 pm »

That's minus 50 DKP.

More dots!

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: "Mature" War Game
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2008, 11:43:32 pm »

MORE DOTS! MORE DOTS! MORE DOTS!

okay, stop dots
Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up