Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
that someone should really go fix up the Achewood Wiki, the Achewiki, which could serve as a knowledge base for all things Achewood?

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Love bacon? WE NEED YOUR HELP.  (Read 2467 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Love bacon? WE NEED YOUR HELP.
« on: February 19, 2008, 08:50:09 pm »

Hello all. First of all, apologies for the pledge-drive sounding forum post. I promise this is the only one you will receive from me for a very, very long time.

Secondly, as you know, I am one of the team behind the wildly successful and quirky BACO DE MAYO parties. Baco de Mayo is the Washington, DC. and mid-Atlantic region's premier* bacon-themed charity concert and good-time party. For seven years we've been clogging our arteries with cholesterol and clogging our ears with fantastic music.

This, the eighth year, is a little different. Last year's party was a hoot, but required a lot of driving. We got requests to find a more central location, that is mass-transit accessible.** So this year, we've decided to kick it up a notch.

* We are looking at renting space in downtown Washington, D.C.
* We are charging a light cover this year
* All proceeds (less rental costs) will be donated to Homes For Our
Troops (http://www.homesforourtroops.org/site/PageServer)
* By next year, Baco De Mayo will be a 501(c)3***

So not only are we doing good for  our hard working veterans, but we're also bringing a good time to all involved.

BUT BACO DE MAYO NEEDS YOUR HELP. Frankly, space and supplies are expensive. The five of us behind this can only afford so much. That's why I am sending the mass mailing.

We need AT LEAST couple thousand dollars to make this happen. I know that's a lot and too much to ask any one person. Or any ten people. But if everyone on this forum can pitch in a little, or forward to someone who can, we can make this the best Baco de Mayo ever.

There are two ways to contribute:

INDIVIDUAL CONTRIBUTION

- Any amount will help
- Over $250 preferred
- You will get in the event for free
- You will be listed as a sponsor during the announcements and on the program
- Any excess past our costs will be funneled straight to Homes for Our
Troops and may be tax deductible


CORPORATE OR ORGANIZATIONAL CONTRIBUTION

- If you have a company or organization who would like credit for
helping our veterans and underwriting a rocking party
- $1000, $2000 or $5000 contributions
- Pay for the whole event and we will name it after your corporation
or organization
- All members of your corporation or organization will get in for free
- Your corporation or organization will be advertised as a sponsor on
each table, the walls, the program, any other flat surface, the
announcements, etc
- Any excess past our costs will be funneled straight to Homes for Our
Troops and may be tax deductible

If you are interested****, PLEASE contact me at mfarah (an at sign would go here) gmail (a period goes here) com and we will discuss. If you can't or don't want to pitch in, that's okay -- forward this to someone who you know can.

In addition, we are always looking for talent. If your band is interested in playing, or if you know of any bands or DJs interested, please contact me at mfarah (an at sign goes here, as well) gmail (another period goes here) com


Thanks in advance. This is the only thread I will post on this matter.




* and only
** because we all are lushes
*** the approval process takes about a year; until then we will be LLC
**** Serious inquiries only
Logged

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Re: Love bacon? WE NEED YOUR HELP.
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2008, 10:19:27 pm »

Because of the variance in our options, I'll be sending an email that looks like the work of a schizophrenic. But it will be detailed.

Before I send it, do you have a phone# so I can give a brief verbal breakdown? If so, send it to the Gmail address I listed above.
Logged

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Love bacon? WE NEED YOUR HELP.
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2008, 12:15:17 am »

I have Germans.
Better than the Japanese.  Those people are persistent.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Love bacon? WE NEED YOUR HELP.
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2008, 12:42:13 am »

Damn I love how quickly this thread got down to brass tacks.
Asherdan: he gets things done.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Love bacon? WE NEED YOUR HELP.
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2008, 01:11:06 am »

The Kelly Bell Band might play this. Kelly is a big dude (who used to be even bigger) that I can only assume loves him some bacon.

If you're not familiar with them they're a Baltimore blues-rock band that's a huge amount of fun live. Unfortunately their site (phatblues.com) is down at the moment.
Logged

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Love bacon? WE NEED YOUR HELP.
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2008, 01:14:45 am »

Can I steal your idea and do it at my fraternity house? We need to do charity events to at least appear to be community minded.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Re: Love bacon? WE NEED YOUR HELP.
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2008, 01:46:59 am »

Can I steal your idea and do it at my fraternity house? We need to do charity events to at least appear to be community minded.

I can't stop you - just please credit the original, eight years running :)
Logged

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Re: Love bacon? WE NEED YOUR HELP.
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2008, 01:04:37 am »

Send me a detailed breakdown of estimated costs (facility, signage, advertising, print costs, cooking implements and serving supplies, BACON, etc.) to plonkersbit (an at sign goes here) gmail (a period goes here) com. A dude may be able to get with some bean counters and do a thing. Or maybe not, but I'll take a swing at it.

Sent - make sure it didnt fall into spam, thanks
Logged

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Re: Love bacon? WE NEED YOUR HELP.
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2008, 08:26:44 pm »

Thanks again, and to anyone else, we need all the help we can get.
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Love bacon? WE NEED YOUR HELP.
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2008, 09:09:43 pm »

If I had bread to give, I surely would... but I don't. When I have it to spare, I shall help.

Have you considered trying to get Food Network coverage in some way?

It wouldn't help you with this year but... certainly in the future.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140
Pages: [1]   Go Up