The dildo guy was clearly obsessive about this relationship, both everything that lead up to the breakdown of trust, what he did to her, what her friends say about her to him now... He was totally anonymous, but called back a second time to add details he's forgotten. I tried to be passive with all the interview subjects, but when he told me he rolled her sex toys in poisen ivy I started laughing, and he gasped, was totally shocked and said "You're laughing!? You're laughing at this?! You're the one who's evil! It's you! You're evil!" to which I replied "I never said I wasn't. I think everyone has the capicity for evil and for good." Of all the interview subjects, he was the only one where I got a sense he wanted something from me. Maybe my condemnation of her actions, some masochistic need to be shamed (he held on to the relationship while she ran up his credit card and cheated on him over and over and over again after all), or maybe absolution. Like his act of revenge itself, I could sense that telling me didn't release him from whatever it was he wanted to shake off. He told me he's moved on since, gotten married, etc... but he's so obviously bothered by what he did, and what was done to him.
Here's the scene of the two kids. It's base on a interview I did with two brothers. I've changed the two boys names. These two were the only two people I talked to who didn't point the finger at themselves as being evil. When I continued to ask them about evil in real life, one of them said "there are no evil people, in real life, just pretend," which I thought was just so sweet. Other details I could share with you are pretty identifying, but suffice to say these are two pretty great kids.
Mouths of Babes
A televangelist's voice can be heard, Adam, who is six, and his four year old brother James are watching the television.
Televangelist's voice
I want you to rise up and pronounce proudly that you are with the Lord! Because I'll tell you about evil! The evil that is here. This world. (the televangelist's voice carries on over this scene, with text cont. following James and Adam's text.)
JAMES
What's evil?
Adam
Evil means really, really, bad. So bad that you want to destroy things, but usually there’s a super hero that tries to stop you.
JAMES
Like who?
ADAM
Well, mostly in Cyberchase, Hacker is evil, because you know on the computer, hackers are a bad thing that could happen to a computer? So uh, yeah, he’s the Bad Guy and Cybersquad is kind of the superheros. Except Cyberchase isn't on because it's Sunday.
JAMES
Oh.
Adam
And we can't play on the computer, because they don't have one here.
James:
Sometimes? When we play? It's fun to be evil!
ADAM
Yeah! Sometimes. Sometimes. Not really in the real world though.
JAMES
Only when we’re pretending, right?
ADAM
Yeah!
JAMEs (Singing)
Evil, evil, evil!(the giggle and play-wrestle) One time I remembered a person. And sort of. About when Wal-mart was evil.
ADAM
Oh! Mommy thinks Wal-Mart is evil!
JAMES
So when they’re, they only want your money. And they don’t help you when you’re around where all the stuff is!
ADAM
Yeah! Mommy says it's the evil empire!
JAMES
Maybe Wal-mart got mommy?
ADAM
No!
JAMES
Yeah, maybe, just for play, maybe Wal-mart got her!
ADAM
And we have to save her?
JAMES
Yeah! From the bad guys!
ADAM
Yeah! Okay! Like Cybersquad! Let's go!
They exit.
TELEVANGELIST'S VOICE (cont.)
There is evil. But be not be afraid. "Fret not thyself because of the ungodly: neither be thou envious against the evil-doers. For they shall soon be cut down like the grass: and be withered even as the green herb... Wicked doers shall be rooted out: and they that patiently abide the Lord, those shall inherit the land!" Jesus says "a kingdom divided against itself is brought to desolation, a house divided against itself falls." Satan is divided, and it is God, God that casts out devils. Jesus says "He that is not with me is against me: and he that gathereth not with me scattereth." So who's side are you on? Who's side are you on? I say rise up! "He that is not with me is against me!" Rise up and claim your place on the side of the Lord! The wicked shall be cut down! Rise up! The evil doers crushed like serpents at your feet! Rise up! Rise up! Rise up!