Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Have you ever woken up to find phrases like "cryogenic baseball player" in your Google search field?

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: The Italians Invented Rap  (Read 4161 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
The Italians Invented Rap
« on: February 24, 2008, 12:45:18 am »

In 1972.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZR06N7geHOU

Sugar Hill Gang, Antony Carmichael et al = frauds.
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: The Italians Invented Rap
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2008, 12:54:51 am »

I'm convinced that man isn't speaking a real language.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: The Italians Invented Rap
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2008, 01:03:37 am »

That was pretty flipping great. I wish I knew what he was talking about.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: The Italians Invented Rap
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2008, 01:09:56 am »

Bitches and coke, I'd imagine.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: The Italians Invented Rap
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2008, 01:12:14 am »

Good to have you back, J. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: The Italians Invented Rap
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2008, 01:28:26 am »

weird. I don't hear it as Italian... it sounds like he's saying English words that I don't know. Do you know what I mean?

also, Rap was around before that, apparently, although of course it was not called that.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2008, 02:01:37 am by theinevitable »
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: The Italians Invented Rap
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2008, 02:56:04 am »

Not really rap, but worth watching anyway.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: The Italians Invented Rap
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2008, 03:21:38 am »

man, that woman saying "oooh SHIT baby!" is proof that... something. Something involving what it means to be "too white."

she just needs the Black Gift.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Victoria Waterfield

  • Molly
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 336
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 739
  • FUCK YOU, MIKE!
    • View Profile
Re: The Italians Invented Rap
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2008, 06:41:02 am »

I've taken it upon myself to transcribe what I believe he's saying:

Man: With the same, the shoes now I'm holdin', build the seine, then the whole raid maybe get your coloured balls dyed.
Oh tales of mine, we get the coal, baby so stay yeah build your hole.
With the same, the shoes now I'm holdin', build the seine, then the whole raid maybe get your coloured balls dyed.
Whether she's same age you'll have caught me in steam, you never travelled now but judge a girl, baby there's jam.
You're the coming up choose my wife but not sure, hold a hope of just getting a lot of crumpled-up time.
Oh but difference to stand, like the shoes are over man, you'd be cost treated magic called dough bray the girls.
Hope something.

Chorus: I eyes my sizzler. Can you get some dough with measles. Eyes.
You're the cold main sailor, freezing dominates and I choose those, all right.

Woman: I eyes my senseless, and it also goes with basil. Eyes.
Chorus: Freezing dominates and I choose them, all right.

Man: Well I should know sleep and I'd a key that I see till I can just enough of a hoe hut to get Tang, let phrasing go.
We can see them in the seine, and my shoes come on a bend, there's too many cars and my four walls to drive the state.
I iced my chance, let a hill said go with basil. Eyes.
You the call of magic tail wad, facing combination at Tucson, all right.
You douche with my pills, you can got them in dome, there's people that ask like I'm leading you on.

Chorus: I eyes my senseless, and he got some done with beets so, eyes.
You can cold make a scene while facing coronation at Tucson, all right.

Man: You douche with my pills, you can got them in dome, there's people that ask like I'm leading you on.

[harmonica solo]
Logged

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: The Italians Invented Rap
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2008, 07:09:44 am »

That was amazing.  Modern rappers need to incorporate more harmonica into their acts.

Also, the woman whipping herself into s-curves in the opening seconds had me concerned for her safety.  Damn, that's giving it up for your art.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: The Italians Invented Rap
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2008, 07:16:30 am »

Not really rap, but worth watching anyway.
Dolemite?  Isn't he the one that had elephants roosting in trees, and all the ants wearing BVD's?
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: The Italians Invented Rap
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2008, 06:29:55 pm »

watching it again, I realize that he is not speaking Italian at all, but is just making up english-sounding words. Which... is fascinating to me in a lot of ways.

also, while we are posting youtube things, this is adorable, even though it seems fake due to the cuts.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2008, 06:44:40 pm by theinevitable »
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: The Italians Invented Rap
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2008, 06:19:08 pm »

watching it again, I realize that he is not speaking Italian at all, but is just making up english-sounding words. Which... is fascinating to me in a lot of ways.

Surely not that alien an idea... Ching-chong wing-wong, anyone?

In fact I just spoke aloud in various languages in a rap style and it came out sounding like

German: 'in hoffenbrau esch de diker das, donlich ja mon (Jamaican?) tas foodelfick fas'.

French: 'ey may bleu, sacre ton le gros, son le libre ma, tout la fon'.

Spanish: 'mis portamento los trooblay en valeron mon sesta, qui miero los dostas y un los triesta'
etc.

So, as you can see, like the rap from the song I used real foreign words I've heard placed hopelessly out of context, mixed with gobbledegook words based on a languages 'tone'.

Translations welcome.

Yours,
JudyisaDaftRacist


(Also, sterling work Miss Waterfield, that was thoroughly enjoyable)
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: The Italians Invented Rap
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2008, 06:37:10 pm »

That reminds me of the youtube project where an American guy speaks all sorts of fake languages. They sound like the real thing to anyone who doesn't speak the languages, but are really quite made up. He then goes on to ask viewers what fake English sounds like. Someone whose nationality I forget responds with fake English that, to an American ear, sounds almost entirely like real Dutch. They're both Germanic, I suppose.

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: The Italians Invented Rap
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2008, 11:48:49 pm »

Nooo.  All of the rap videos posted in this thread contain singing, and not rapping.  C'mon guys, yous should know better.
Logged
ACHIEVE
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up