Jamie showed me this thread last night. It made me wonder how many of us are familiar with the phrase "the September that never ended."
You can look at it on the
Jargon File or on whatever
wikiWYSIWYG newfangledies the kids use today; you know, if
reading is your thing.
Basically it's the tragic tale of how the net used to be all old hands. All DARPA and professors and grad students. And then every September there would be a new influx of freshman, and they would know nothing of etiquette or what had come before, and within a short period the huge majority of experienced users would inculcate manners into them. In 1993 a company called America Online connected its largely inexperienced users with the internet's leading message system, USENET. The resulting flood of uninitiated users overran the cultured few, and the internet has been a cesspool ever since.
Several things strike me about this story. One is the fact that it repeats over and over again with different players and settings. Another is the fact that hackers (in the elder sense) are both so unattached to existing convention that they freely create new jargon, but so neurotic that they rigorously maintain a records of their culture as it thrashes and dies and is reborn. The most powerful thing that I take away is the fact that I first heard the word "internet" in 1993. I was playing around on BBSes and learning how to craft a persona that wasn't connected with my physical appearance, but I wasn't
on the internet. I didn't even have an AOL account yet.
In short, what I take away from 'the September that never ended' is that I am not a member of the cultured few. I am a part of the cesspool. And from my perspective, the cesspool is more interesting. I love how this place welcomes newbs. I don't love how some of them are brash and uncultured. It makes me flare up like a street flare with ten pieces of flair. But it often helps to remember that I am part of the cesspool. And that the cesspool is often more interesting.
Hmmm.... I would probably post more if I didn't feel the need to drop volumes of reflective self-importance in each <textarea>. I'll work on that.