Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
that there is no way to put a picture of a pug in the News Box?

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: February 28, 2008 - At least you can tap your foot to an incoming fax!  (Read 3912 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

RMJ12345

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 45
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 381
  • all employing the principles of hopping
    • View Profile
    • myspace

http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=02282008

I just got back from a Dark Star Orchestra show (Dead cover band that plays a specific setlist from their history) and this is what I come home to.
It's funny, but completely wrong. In my opinion.

See you folks later! I'll be back in a few months, when I'm finished with my two theses and graduated and employed and all.

Victoria Waterfield

  • Molly
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 336
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 739
  • FUCK YOU, MIKE!
    • View Profile
Re: February 28, 2007 - At least you can tap your foot to an incoming fax!
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2008, 06:17:50 am »

http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=02282008

I only listen to the Dead's studio albums, myself.
Logged

Victoria Waterfield

  • Molly
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 336
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 739
  • FUCK YOU, MIKE!
    • View Profile
Re: February 28, 2007 - At least you can tap your foot to an incoming fax!
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2008, 06:19:07 am »

Drat, 29 seconds too late.  But at least I got the date right.
Logged

RMJ12345

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 45
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 381
  • all employing the principles of hopping
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Re: February 28, 2007 - At least you can tap your foot to an incoming fax!
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2008, 06:21:05 am »

I never listen to their albums, it's kind of bizarre sounding to me. My SO has roughly a thousand GD shows on CD, trading live music is his hobby, and I hear a lot of live GD. I guess I was kind of judgmental and weirded out by it at first, but they're probably one of my favorite bands now, stoned or not.

The more I read this, the less amused I am by it. It's not a clever or original point, and I don't feel like it's a stereotype that's all that based in the reality of the band. The Dead do some weird shit and go off on long musical tangents, but it's all based around fairly solid rock and roll songs. And the culture that surrounds them is largely based around dancing, so I don't see how you can't "tap your foot" to it. Albeit much of the dancing is done under a lot of different drugs, but still. At the Dead-inspired show I was at tonight I was dancing while stone-cold sober.

I also don't see where Onstad gets off getting all high and mighty about drug induced ramblings.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: February 28, 2007 - At least you can tap your foot to an incoming fax!
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2008, 06:21:31 am »

Fuck you Onstad.  You make us wait 5 days for a lame ass Dead joke I could have read on Fark?  Too much Benadryl?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: February 28, 2007 - At least you can tap your foot to an incoming fax!
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2008, 06:36:37 am »

It is good to see that all ladies-of-a-certain-age wear those glasses in Onstad's mind, too, though.

Also... I mean, he does have a point. I too heard "Touch of Grey"... thought it a fun song... and then was disappointed to discover what Actual Grateful Dead sounded like. How people could get stoned and choose that over, like, "Wish You Were Here" or the latest release by Air or whatever... it is just beyond a dude.

Now all that I am left with vis-a-vis the Grateful Dead is the fact that a story about a zombie Jerry Garcia could be called "A Touch of Grey Matter" and it would be a pretty clever title.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: February 28, 2008 - At least you can tap your foot to an incoming fax!
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2008, 06:47:38 am »

Who uses faxes? Thats like saying "at least you can tap your foot to morse code"
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: February 28, 2008 - At least you can tap your foot to an incoming fax!
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2008, 06:54:06 am »

Film production offices still use faxes basically all the time because they tend to work with lawyers that aren't big on scanning their stuff into digital documents as they are tech-phobic and so... to get contracts around quickly, the fax is still huge.

In fields such as health care and law where near-instant communication with a patched-together network of clients and service providers is imperative, the fax is still the weapon of choice... here's the thing:

A chain is only as strong as its weakest link, yes?

Well, if even one part of your chain of communications is not in the internet age in their information processing, the fax is still the lingua franca when the info has got to go fast. There are a whole lot of people who are either not tech-saavy or do not trust the internet for transferring sensitive documents out there in charge of things.

And for as long as they're alive, the fax will be the fall-back.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: February 28, 2008 - At least you can tap your foot to an incoming fax!
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2008, 08:17:28 am »

Where is lyles eyewear?
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: February 28, 2008 - At least you can tap your foot to an incoming fax!
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2008, 12:56:48 pm »

The actual joke of this strip is pretty lame, but I did enjoy the fourth-panel musical freakout. Teodor strangling himself with a note is pretty golden.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: February 28, 2008 - At least you can tap your foot to an incoming fax!
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2008, 02:05:56 pm »

Thank god Teodor didn't try listening to Phish. He'd certainly have killed himself after hearing that immeasurable lameness.

Healthcare is all about faxes. You'd be surprised how many places are willing to pay a couple hundred thousand dollars on a new CT scanner but only have one Windows98 computer connected to the internet. A lot of people will call my work asking for stuff to be mailed or faxed to them because they aren't allowed to use their office computers to visit our website.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: February 28, 2008 - At least you can tap your foot to an incoming fax!
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2008, 03:37:29 pm »

Oh god, Cort, don't tell us stuff like that. There are things about the healthcare system that it is better not to know.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: February 28, 2008 - At least you can tap your foot to an incoming fax!
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2008, 04:12:00 pm »

At the practice we go to, all the doctors have little laptops they take everywhere with them, and the whole office has wireless.  Pretty frickin' awesome, if for no other reason than to have them fill out prescriptions in Word and print them out, meaning much less chance of the pharmacist having trouble with indescipherable handwriting and giving me something that will make me die or grow breasts.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: February 28, 2008 - At least you can tap your foot to an incoming fax!
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2008, 04:21:32 pm »

The point isn't that people still use fax machines, anyway.  The point is that they sound horrible, but are still less annoying than the Grateful Dead. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
Re: February 28, 2008 - At least you can tap your foot to an incoming fax!
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2008, 05:47:58 pm »

This strip would have been fine if it were just panel 4 labeled "Teodor Listens To That One Band You Don't Like". The other panels are functional only as packing material to keep 4 from rattling against the sides of the browser when you move the window.
Logged
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up