Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Barely passed Oregon driver's test. Lots of rules about Yielding to the Distraught and slow-moving salmon trucks on one-way switchbacks.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: A lady who does 21 accents  (Read 5627 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
A lady who does 21 accents
« on: March 02, 2008, 03:24:27 am »

Found this video on Digg just now. I have to say, that's pretty damn impressive. They're not all perfect accents -- especially the Toronto one -- but it's an interesting skill nonetheless. I especially like the mythical 1940s Hollywood accent.

Can you guys do any accents that you'd go as far as to call passable? I can do a decent New Englander since half my family is from there, but that's about it. Any time I try to do an English one it just sounds Australian -- and vice versa.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: A lady who does 21 accents
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2008, 03:45:48 am »

If the rest of them are as bad as her "Southern" accents, she sucks.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: A lady who does 21 accents
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2008, 04:16:29 am »

Totally photoshopped, bitch never blinks.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: A lady who does 21 accents
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2008, 04:27:48 am »

Does anyone know her name, or maybe how old she is?

LOL

I can do a pretty good South Philly, Northeast Philly, and Southeast Delco PA accent, and my Chicago is pretty decent.  My French accent when I speak sounds like a Southern French accent (so I'm told).  Maybe it's because I say "Bonjour, y'all."

nDed

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 34
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 292
    • View Profile
Re: A lady who does 21 accents
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2008, 06:05:46 pm »

"Hello. My name is Amy Walker. You killed my father. Prepare to die."

I've been told that my British accent (Cockney or posh) is fairly passable or at least not completely mangled. This only applies if I've been watching Fawlty Towers or Blackadder for some considerable amount of time.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2008, 06:09:02 pm by nDed »
Logged
Love never blows up and gets killed.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: A lady who does 21 accents
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2008, 06:14:53 pm »

I'm awful at accents, probably having something to do with hating my own voice because it has never sounded masculine enough for my own ear's taste.

However, impressions... I do a good Tom Waits, a great Dave Mustaine (which is a lot like Macho Man Randy Savage), the world's greatest Axl Rose, a passable Elvis (which is a lot like Eddie Vedder), a disasterously bad David Bowie and a disasterously good Bob Dylan.

My brother does the world's best (and only) Andy Warhol impression and Quentin Tarantino as an elderly Eastern European gentleman who basically only talks about your feet.

There is greatness in my bloodline, you see.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: A lady who does 21 accents
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2008, 06:25:51 pm »

My first-year French teacher was German, so apparently I speak French with a faintly German accent.

And Pedro is turned on by my impression of Mary Poppins, so I suppose my British accent is passable. 

Pedro does a handful of excellent accents and impressions.  Spanish, British (proper English as well as Cockney), Brooklyn, Boston, Minnesotan, "Mobster Italian," etc.  All the standards.  He's pretty good at most of them.  He was raised in the Upper South and can do a variety of southern accents.  Oddly, although he doesn't naturally speak with a Southern accent and he has a hard time hearing them in other people, if he's around someone who has a strong accent he instinctively starts using one.  He doesn't do a very good French, or European-Italian accent, though.  And his Spanish is usually Euro-Spanish (although he can do Mexican Spanish if he tries really hard).  Oh, he also does an excellent German accent, thanks in part to our friend whose husband is German but due mostly to his having spent the better part of a semester studying a monologue from the play Copenhagen. 

I bet he could come up with 21 accents if he half tried. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: A lady who does 21 accents
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2008, 06:40:57 pm »

apparently some girl is telling people that I am awesome at doing impressions, so this guy came up to me at a party yesterday and kept asking me to do Jim Carrey. Not great. I am pretty good at picking up on people's more obvious vocal ticks and stuff, but just good enough to know that I am not that good. IE, I am good enough to do a southern accent that someone who has not heard a non-hollywood southern accent will believe, but not a southerner.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: A lady who does 21 accents
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2008, 06:45:39 pm »

Oh, man, "Copenhagen" is a rad play.

Saw that practically back-to-back with an Alan Alda one-man-show about Richard Feynman one summer... it was the summer of science plays.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: A lady who does 21 accents
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2008, 09:01:57 pm »

My first-year French teacher was German, so apparently I speak French with a faintly German accent.

I have the opposite problem.  I speak German with a faint french accent, or with a Pacific Northwest accent.  (Pronounce everything.)
Logged

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: A lady who does 21 accents
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2008, 09:18:40 pm »

Oh, I forgot to mention that I'm somehow pretty good at doing a Dominican accent. I think it's from watching so damn much baseball. It's kind of a random accent to know, I guess.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: A lady who does 21 accents
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2008, 01:20:08 am »

I'm completely tone deaf and can't do any accents or impressions at all. Not even a little.
Logged

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: A lady who does 21 accents
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2008, 01:35:31 am »

I do a wide variety of accents, mostly badly, as I read books to my children. 
When we're reading Babar, it must be done with a French accent. 
The book "Fairy Shopping" was a present from England, so it must be done with an effete British accent. 
The penis character in "The Gruffalo" talks like the zany Univision host in an SNL sketch from when Snoop Dogg was hosting.   
The story "Peekaboo Kitty" must be read in the West Virginia accent used in the State's sketch "The Inbred Brothers."

I could go on, but you get the idea.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: A lady who does 21 accents
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2008, 04:15:29 am »

I thought she did Texas rather well.  Very Holly Hunter, who's not from Texas, but sounds like it.  Very Houston.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: A lady who does 21 accents
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2008, 03:54:29 pm »

The story "Peekaboo Kitty" must be read in the West Virginia accent used in the State's sketch "The Inbred Brothers."

The ladyfriend and I will have this thing, where if we klutz something up, she or I will exclaim "WHATAM AH DOIN?!"
Logged
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up