Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood "One of Your Shoes is By the Dog Food: A Tale of Things Not Worth Mentioning During Married Life," is out in September on Harper-Doubleday.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: March 4 2008 - You Have: A caring mother in Ohio  (Read 6169 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: March 4 2008 - You Have: A caring mother in Ohio
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2008, 03:14:57 am »

I just leave the door open if I'm here alone with the kids.  As per Ash's observation, I find I actually get *more* privacy if I don't try to shut them out. 

Pedro, however, insists on complete isolation.  I often hear him talking to himself in there, though I can never make out the words. 

There are some things in a marriage that are better off left a mystery. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: March 4 2008 - You Have: A caring mother in Ohio
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2008, 03:18:40 am »

I was talking to some other people on my floor, and I found out that the Rules about the bathroom vary from suite to suite. For us, if you're in the bathroom, it is YOURS. If you're in the shower, YOU'RE IN THE SHOWER and ain't nobody peeing in there or whatever. Some people said this was crazy, others agreed.

What I find interesting is that... everyone agreed that they had never talked about it. They all just assumed it was one way or the other and went with it.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: March 4 2008 - You Have: A caring mother in Ohio
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2008, 04:16:25 am »

I definitely understand the unspoken-rule thing, too. When I was in college, the code got complicated, as affected by several factors: timing (is it right before class, or at 2 PM when you can wait five minutes to pee, or what?), bathroom layout (to what degree are there stalls? Are there urinals right out in the open in an allegedly-unisex floor bath?), and so on. As such, the rules ended up very flexible indeed, although always erring on the side of "hold it / go down the hall."

That said, the best college Mysterious Bathroom Thing was the flourescent-pink hand towel that showed up in the hall bath a few male friends of mine shared my junior year. None of them owned up to buying it, and none of them knew where it came from... apparently it just materialized there and stayed because of apathy. Mysterious!
Logged

CortesDiddy

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 7
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 26
    • View Profile
Re: March 4 2008 - You Have: A caring mother in Ohio
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2012, 04:27:56 am »

Ok, first off I know this is kind of a thing I'm gonna be doing where if I find an old strip from days foregone I'll comment on it, because somethin's been chompin at the bit inside me.

Anyway, I keep looking at that floor plan and I guess I picture a wide room with a tall column in the center, four sided, each with a window. Inside the column is a bathroom. I figure this is what Onstad was trying to convey here. Am I looking at this correctly? Furthermore has anybody actually been in a room with architecture like this, anywhere? Like, is that literally a feasible idea architects have thought about?

EDIT: I realize now that it's supposed to be entirely made of mirrors and thus not even a serious type of thing anybody would build. Anyway, regardless of the mirrors my question holds.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 04:32:37 am by CortesDiddy »
Logged

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: March 4 2008 - You Have: A caring mother in Ohio
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2012, 04:37:59 am »

it's like a giraffebowl with a crapper in the middle of a pantry. your question is based on a strange and wrong interpretation of the text and diagram.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

CortesDiddy

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 7
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 26
    • View Profile
Re: March 4 2008 - You Have: A caring mother in Ohio
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2012, 05:09:02 am »

I don't know. I read the text and that's what I saw.  Oh well, maybe next time I bump an old strip thread it will be to say something much more interesting. Not that this wasn't too bad of a comment.



*HUGE THREE PAGE ARGUMENT*
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 05:12:27 am by CortesDiddy »
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: March 4 2008 - You Have: A caring mother in Ohio
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2012, 12:29:41 pm »

I don't know. I read the text and that's what I saw.  Oh well, maybe next time I bump an old strip thread it will be to say something much more interesting. Not that this wasn't too bad of a comment.



*HUGE THREE PAGE ARGUMENT*

You just dredge up any old strip you want and make any kind of wacky comment you can think of and the good lord will provide.

Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: March 4 2008 - You Have: A caring mother in Ohio
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2012, 12:31:01 pm »

We tried to do a thing where we started new threads for old strips in order and were going to like, relive history. But it didn't take off. Maybe this will work better.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: March 4 2008 - You Have: A caring mother in Ohio
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2012, 02:46:27 pm »

It's like those crazy Euro-toilets on the street where you can see out, but nobody can see in, except for in reverse.

You wanna talk about a fun bathroom?
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: March 4 2008 - You Have: A caring mother in Ohio
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2012, 03:00:57 pm »

Pedro, however, insists on complete isolation.

I totally get this. The only thing I want with me in the bathroom is a shotgun, because that's when I'm most vulnerable.

A shotgun, and maybe a book.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: March 4 2008 - You Have: A caring mother in Ohio
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2012, 03:01:53 pm »

You wanna talk about a fun bathroom?

The door needs a trompe l'oeil painting of a hole busted in the door and Jack Nicholoson peering in.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: March 4 2008 - You Have: A caring mother in Ohio
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2012, 04:33:32 pm »

Is it me, or should the wall across fromt he mirror have redrum written on it?
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: March 4 2008 - You Have: A caring mother in Ohio
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2012, 04:49:34 pm »

It sort of makes me want to print something literary all over the walls in the bathroom Pedro uses. It would have to be something you didn't mind reading over and over again, though -- either something sufficiently thought-provoking to reveal something new on each contemplation, or something that is pleasant to have memorized. Perhaps a selection from Crime and Punishment, or some excerpts from Leaves of Grass.

Just think -- you'd never sit down and realize you have to go number two and you didn't bring anything to read.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: March 4 2008 - You Have: A caring mother in Ohio
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2012, 06:10:13 pm »

Is it me, or should the wall across fromt he mirror have redrum written on it?

Nope, you are exactly right.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up