Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

TERRIBLE!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Missed his saving throw?  (Read 2192 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Missed his saving throw?
« on: March 04, 2008, 06:30:36 pm »

As yet it's unconfirmed, but RIP Gary Gygax.  Thanks to you I spent some of my time in junior high engaged in a different sort of fantasy.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Missed his saving throw?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2008, 09:14:46 pm »

I'm getting missives from the guys and gals I misspent my afternoons with as a teen/twenty-something so its looking less like a rumour. 
I remember in his dissertation on the difference between Intelligence and Wisdom, he made a reference to his own inability to give up smoking. I wonder if it was the big C that brought him down?

Irregardless, years ago I wrote him a letter thanking him for the game. He wrote me back (pens and paper days again) disclaiming credit, but wishing me well.  He felt that he just contributed to something that many others had started long before.  Definitely one of my role models.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Missed his saving throw?
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2008, 09:22:22 pm »

Wired put up an obit already. Written by Lore, naturally. Apparently he had been ill for a while but it doesn't specify if it was cancer.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Missed his saving throw?
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2008, 10:08:01 pm »

I won't ever get over the fact that... there are so many things that can go wrong with our bodies, and yet everything keeps running without any problems 90% of the time. We're so complicated, it's ridiculous.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Missed his saving throw?
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2008, 12:16:35 am »

Well, I'll miss him. He embodied the weird, occasionally-insane pioneer spirit of early roleplaying, and I can respect that.
Logged

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Missed his saving throw?
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2008, 02:17:39 am »

I don't play anymore, but I do read Order of the Stick.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.
Pages: [1]   Go Up