Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

You..Are..Rad

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best headline of the week so far...  (Read 2211 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Best headline of the week so far...
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2008, 08:10:25 pm »

who the hell are these kids? I don't remember any of my friends having TVs in their bedrooms in high school, much less in third grade. Now people do, but... that's because when you live in a dorm, you only have 1 room that serves as bedroom/living room/everything.
Except, now I live in a suite, and 2 of my roommates still have their own little TVs in their rooms. which weirds me out.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Best headline of the week so far...
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2008, 08:15:07 pm »

who the hell are these kids? I don't remember any of my friends having TVs in their bedrooms in high school, much less in third grade. Now people do, but... that's because when you live in a dorm, you only have 1 room that serves as bedroom/living room/everything.
Except, now I live in a suite, and 2 of my roommates still have their own little TVs in their rooms. which weirds me out.
Everyone I knew has always had a tv in their bedrooms, until now in college when most people get their entertainment from the internet. So we live in opposite realities i guess.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Best headline of the week so far...
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2008, 09:12:12 pm »

I had a tv in my room starting at age 9. My family had 5 tvs for 4 people. More than once my dad would walk into the basement while I had music playing and ask, "why isn't this tv on?" Then turn it on and raise the volume above my music. Growing up music was always considered 2nd string entertainment. It was for when the cable was out or you were in the car. Otherwise the tv was on, period.

I also lived in a suite-style dorm but there was no cable hook-up in the suite, only in the individual rooms. And even though all 5 rooms had signed up for cable tv I was the only person who thought to bring my own coax, so for about a week my room was the only hang-out room. Then we discovered Worms, which ensured my room remained the hang-out room for the rest of the year. But we always had the tv on while playing.
Logged

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Best headline of the week so far...
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2008, 11:12:29 pm »

I never had a tv in my room, still don't for that matter, though I've had a computer in there since the end of high school when I could afford my own.
I have vague memories of my parents making random rules regarding when tv could be viewed and such but it obviously either didn't impact me very much or they were pretty lax about it because I can't remember any specifics. I do remember holidays being a treat because it meant I could watch morning cartoons but not being able to do that during the school term had as much to do with leaving early as not being allowed.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Best headline of the week so far...
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2008, 11:32:12 pm »

yeah, my parents were really into making rules about when I was allowed to watch TV and then not enforcing them.

Whatever they did must have worked, because I watch exponentially less TV than my roommates. I spend a lot more time on the internet, though.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: Best headline of the week so far...
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2008, 12:08:16 am »

I've had TV in my room since I was 10, cable since I was 12, although it was taken from me my freshman year of high school because I refused point-blank to go to freshman orientation before the school year started. It was restored my senior year of high school.

I think I probably watch a lot of TV, but I'm multitasking a lot by being on the computer too. I don't like to go outside unless it's between 65 and 85 degrees. I didn't spend a lot of time outside growing up, mainly due to the fact that I had few friends, none of whom lived near me until driver's licenses expanded the scope of what "near" was.
Logged

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Best headline of the week so far...
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2008, 12:10:57 am »

Whatever they did must have worked, because I watch exponentially less TV than my roommates. I spend a lot more time on the internet, though.

Pretty much this, there are a couple of specific shows I'll watch but it's fairly rare I'll just plop myself down and see what's on.
Randomly surfing the net to see which of my regular sites has updated though... that's pretty much my weekend.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Best headline of the week so far...
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2008, 01:43:43 am »

My pet strictly-anecdotal theory is that it's a factor of deprivation/allowance. My father was almost never allowed to watch TV as a kid, and today he has it on all the damn time; I'm oversensitized to it and don't usually bother. I tremble to think of the time-wasters my own child will eventually consume.
Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up