Yeah, I really wanted to play in middle school, and the beginning of high school. Now I do not want to play, but am technically engaged in an "old west" campaign with these guys I know. They are really rad, but sometimes they grate a little. I said a thing to them once that... was probably the funniest (at the time) and meanest thing I have ever said to someone who did nothing to me, and so I felt bad enough that I agreed to play in their D&D game. I find that... it's vaguely entertaining, but as a life-long imagination-game player, all the rules bother me. I just want to pretend, goddamnit!
I think I am repelled by nerds in the same way I am repelled by the guy downstairs who is a hardcore atheist. "Oh, man, seriously? I thought (people who believed in God were stupid)(fantasies were awesome) when I was 15. You're still doing that?" I realize this is not great (well, OK, I am perfectly OK with thinking that guy is an asshole, because he is), but I am pretty sure that that is what my brain is doing.
I guess what I'm saying is, I fear and loathe mega-nerds in the same way the closet homosexual is homophobic. I am a lot lot lot less geeky than I was 4 years ago, but when I look in the mirror I still see myself with unbrushed/huge hair, braces, acne, crooked glasses, t-shirt with a dragon on it, etc, and I'm logging on to Neverwinter Nights right when I get home from school.
Um, those people were who I was talking about when I said that my New Year's resolution was to be more generous in my thoughts about people who are enthusiastic about things I don't care about. I think I have been better about it than I was last year, where I was a total dick to them, or at least I was in my own mind.
This is my 4999th post. I think I might take a week off for spring break? I want to spend more time reading and less time on the internet. Especially considering I can make 1 long post at the end of the day in a thread, rather than 20 1-sentence ones because I'm logging on to TOUAMB every 30 minutes.