Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
That you can post photos to the TOUAMB Flickr Pool?

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Awww! (10-31-03)  (Read 11239 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Awww! - 31 October 2003
« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2003, 07:51:27 pm »

Hey, thanks for that link.  I'd wanted to save a copy of it but could never bring myself to find it.

God. It seems like ages ago now.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Awww! - 31 October 2003
« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2003, 09:24:18 pm »

Quote from: "slink"
'Tis certainly a possibility. I always just put it down to the (well known) differences in tastes. It has seemed from every source I get that American chocolate just isn't the same as ours, and in turn ours is nothing compared to real chocolate.
It's all to do with the legal restrictions on what cocoa content can be called chocolate, and you guys don't have any restriction do you?
Mind I don't think we do still...
Which is a shame.


There are restrictions but they're a little more lax. I don't have time to scour the .gov sites but I did come up with this: http://www.romolochocolates.com/news/chocolate_defined.htm

The problem with US chocolate is that our's might contain the same amount of cocoa but have way more sugar which affects the taste. And most of us grew up on milk chocolate so to us the stuff with more cocoa tastes bitter and wrong.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Awww! - 31 October 2003
« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2003, 09:52:50 pm »

I read something once that I can no longer locate that said that American milk chocolate has a characteristic slightly fermented, sour taste, that we are all used to, but that tastes bizarre to Europeans, who don't make their milk chocolate that way.  

And shouldn't this thread be over at my forum now?  If only I knew how to move it.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Awww! - 31 October 2003
« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2003, 09:55:18 pm »

The couple of chocolate bars I had in London were almost disgustingly rich and "thick". I also could on find ones with stuff in them. They all had nuts or carmel or raisins or whatever, no plain chocolate bars. Weird. Eerie.
Logged

Squee!

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 8
    • View Profile
Awww! - 31 October 2003
« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2003, 10:07:00 pm »

SEE'S

It is surprising that no one has mentioned See's yet.

Am I alone here on this?

Oh and also I am just posting so that I am not kicked off for all of time.

I miss you guys!  I'll try to find time to post more often.  It's just that school is kicking my booty big time.  Stupid learning.
Logged
We close our eyes and the world has turned around again..

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Awww! - 31 October 2003
« Reply #35 on: November 03, 2003, 10:10:46 pm »

My kicking proclamation was mostly just an effort to engage the lurkers more in conversation.

Squee!

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 8
    • View Profile
Awww! - 31 October 2003
« Reply #36 on: November 03, 2003, 10:17:33 pm »

Awww...I'm not even lurking.  I am just nonexistent.  I am a ghost of the past joys of dumbrella achewood times.
Logged
We close our eyes and the world has turned around again..

V-Adore

  • Guest
Awww! - 31 October 2003
« Reply #37 on: November 03, 2003, 10:18:52 pm »

Quote from: "Squee!"
Awww...I'm not even lurking.  I am just nonexistent.  I am a ghost of the past joys of dumbrella achewood times.

You're Wink Hauntlie?

Er, anyway. I approve of chocolate, just not of feeding Philippe chocolate. This is all.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Awww! - 31 October 2003
« Reply #38 on: November 03, 2003, 10:39:35 pm »

Hi Squee!!

See's is the best American chocolate stuff.  But do they make chocolate bars?  Filled chocolates are a whole other story.

Dang all of you guys, I just had to go buy a Hershey's bar to see if it tasted like I remember.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

starlight

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 323
    • View Profile
    • http://www.livejournal.com/~aekastar
Awww! - 31 October 2003
« Reply #39 on: November 03, 2003, 10:53:00 pm »

Hm, I tend to think hershey's tastes better in the 'kiss' shape than the bar shape.  I don't know why this is, but I swear, when I have eaten the bar, I am just turned off.

I prefer Godiva over all others though; had that for Halloween ...12 pieces.  yuuuum.
Logged
Texas only kept me awake

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Awww! - 31 October 2003
« Reply #40 on: November 03, 2003, 11:05:30 pm »

I have eaten the kisses more recently and while I neglected to buy some for a comparison taste-test, this bar I am eating is not as good as I remember the kisses.  It not really worth eating.  I expected this since my taste in chocolate has become frightfully expensive, but since I was having such a good time eating leftover Halloween Milky Ways, I thought it was worth checking.

But - what happened to the wrappers?!  The paper sleeve over the foil wrap is gone, it's a one-piece deal. What is the world coming to?  This is making me feel terribly old and curmudgeonly.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

ferocious j

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: -1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 231
    • View Profile
    • http://automatedredemption.com/flavorcountry/
Awww! - 31 October 2003
« Reply #41 on: November 03, 2003, 11:16:04 pm »

Quote from: "Squee!"
SEE'S

It is surprising that no one has mentioned See's yet.

Am I alone here on this?

Despite having resided in the Bay Area for upwards of two years, I still haven't gotten around to eating anything from See's.  This should probably be remedied posthaste.
Logged
I step to the mic like a Jedi knight
I'm all "off with your head" with my neon light

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Awww! - 31 October 2003
« Reply #42 on: November 03, 2003, 11:47:05 pm »

I knew they switched Kit-Kats but the last Hershey bar I had was in the foil/sleeve wrapper.

I can't eat regular Hershey kisses anymore. There was some . . . unpleasantness.

What the heck is See's?
Logged

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Awww! - 31 October 2003
« Reply #43 on: November 03, 2003, 11:51:18 pm »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
The couple of chocolate bars I had in London were almost disgustingly rich and "thick". I also could on find ones with stuff in them. They all had nuts or carmel or raisins or whatever, no plain chocolate bars. Weird. Eerie.


Yea, most UK chocolate is way too rich. I never eat it.
But then I rarely eat sugarry things anyway.
The best thing a few years bacl was when I discovered Star Bars - essentially Peanut Butter and caramel in chocolate. They were great - not too sweet thanks to the peanut buttery stuff (though it was a little drier than PB).
But yea, UK chocolate sucks, as does US for me. If I do eat it it's either very high cocoa content and little sugar, thus very bitter, or very good swedish style.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

misterhaan

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 92
    • View Profile
    • http://www.track7.org/
Awww! - 31 October 2003
« Reply #44 on: November 04, 2003, 12:09:13 am »

Quote from: "jough"
My kicking proclamation was mostly just an effort to engage the lurkers more in conversation.


that e-mail got filtered into my junk mail box (mostly because i used my junk mail getting e-mail address, so things that come to that address tend to end up in the junk mail), so i left it there.  i did read it though . . . maybe i should "not junk" it so that i don't confuse the filter too much.
Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up