Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Listen, I've been duped by "English-speaking" pizza places before.

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 16   Go Down

Author Topic: Pretend Sports '08 - This Time, Its Personal!  (Read 42444 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Pretend Sports '08 - This Time, Its Personal!
« Reply #120 on: April 08, 2008, 04:01:35 am »

Well-played, Zombies, a solid tie.

When we meet again, my team will probably be a bit different.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Pretend Sports '08 - This Time, Its Personal!
« Reply #121 on: April 08, 2008, 04:41:34 am »

I wish I could say I was pleased with this result, but the zombies don't play for ties. They play for braaaaiiiiiinnnnnssss.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Pretend Sports '08 - This Time, Its Personal!
« Reply #122 on: April 14, 2008, 04:26:16 am »

Exciting week, Men with No Name... I think I got the advantage at the wire but well-done still.

My pitchers only seem to know how to be brillant and completely terrible, never in-between.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: Pretend Sports '08 - This Time, Its Personal!
« Reply #123 on: April 14, 2008, 04:05:06 pm »

Not being funny here, can anyone tell me honestly how I'm doing so far?

Am I winning in an exciting, under-doggerish manner?
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Pretend Sports '08 - This Time, Its Personal!
« Reply #124 on: April 14, 2008, 04:52:31 pm »

Man, I miss last year's team when I had good pitchers and was thoroughly unemployed for the majority of the season. I really had a lot of time to devote to picking up gems from the scrap heap. Now it's a little tougher. Plus we got Judy the pool shark to deal with.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Pretend Sports '08 - This Time, Its Personal!
« Reply #125 on: April 15, 2008, 04:10:40 am »

As much as this is going to screw me over this week...

One problem you seem to be havin', Jude, is that you aren't moving your bench players to play on days where your usual nine have a travel day or something and... you're losing counting statistics for it. Runs and stolen bases and RBIs and home runs and stuff.

Your team put up a great effort today already... but had you played all of your available players, you basically would've handed my heart to me instead of my heart merely being partially barfed-up...

Because even on a travel heavy day, I was able to start eight players out of nine... because my roster is heavy on players with multiple positional eligibility and so on.

Also, really, you're probably carrying too many bench guys anyway... if you figured out which ones you could pare down, you could have another starting pitcher or two to cycle in when they're starting and really collect on the pitching counting stats.

Because... right now, from the looks of this week... you could right kill me in ERA, WHIP and AVG but I could well collect on all the other seven categories just out of sheer bulk of eligible players and my ability to properly cycle them into non-bench positions on the days where they're useful.

Man, I am way too much of a Boy Scout. haha.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Sports '08 - This Time, Its Personal!
« Reply #126 on: April 15, 2008, 09:30:05 am »

Once I understood this (mainly the ability to rotate a lot of players, but all of what lfm said) I did much better.  This is all you need to know-the stats are pretty obvious.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Sports '08 - This Time, Its Personal!
« Reply #127 on: April 15, 2008, 12:18:33 pm »

It figures the season that I finally dig in and become a full blog-reading roster-knowing fan of the mets, they flub the opening.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Sports '08 - This Time, Its Personal!
« Reply #128 on: April 15, 2008, 04:15:00 pm »

That'll teach you.  Isn't part of being a fan of such teams as the Mets and the Cubs learning to drink deeply of the bitterest dregs?
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: Pretend Sports '08 - This Time, Its Personal!
« Reply #129 on: April 15, 2008, 09:58:48 pm »

As much as this is going to screw me over this week...

One problem you seem to be havin', Jude, is that you aren't moving your bench players to play on days where your usual nine have a travel day or something and... you're losing counting statistics for it. Runs and stolen bases and RBIs and home runs and stuff.

Your team put up a great effort today already... but had you played all of your available players, you basically would've handed my heart to me instead of my heart merely being partially barfed-up...

Because even on a travel heavy day, I was able to start eight players out of nine... because my roster is heavy on players with multiple positional eligibility and so on.

Also, really, you're probably carrying too many bench guys anyway... if you figured out which ones you could pare down, you could have another starting pitcher or two to cycle in when they're starting and really collect on the pitching counting stats.

Because... right now, from the looks of this week... you could right kill me in ERA, WHIP and AVG but I could well collect on all the other seven categories just out of sheer bulk of eligible players and my ability to properly cycle them into non-bench positions on the days where they're useful.

Man, I am way too much of a Boy Scout. haha.

Thankyou!

I will try to do this.
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Pretend Sports '08 - This Time, Its Personal!
« Reply #130 on: April 18, 2008, 04:16:39 am »

Judy, man... your pitching is kinda lackluster? But your hitting is goddamn Murder's Row. Seriously. You have a potent goddamned offense on that team and it only lends to the idea that you are sharking us, just lying in wait until you can find the right starting pitching to add.

Also... sports-but-not-baseball-related:

Pao Gasol was at the Eels concert I was at last night. This is not that big of a thing but... like... I guess an Eels concert was the last place in the fuck*ng world I'd expect to see a basketball star. He had to sneak in during the first song so that he wasn't mobbed and sat in the front row.

A 7'2" bearded white guy in millionaire designer clothes is one of the most obvious things in the world.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Pretend Sports '08 - This Time, Its Personal!
« Reply #131 on: April 21, 2008, 03:30:28 am »

And... good game, Jude.

My math says I got you 7-3 but... seriously, you've got an amazing hitting team.

Put any kind of attention into your pitching and you'll have a winner.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: Pretend Sports '08 - This Time, Its Personal!
« Reply #132 on: April 21, 2008, 12:06:57 pm »

And... good game, Jude.

My math says I got you 7-3 but... seriously, you've got an amazing hitting team.

Put any kind of attention into your pitching and you'll have a winner.

Thankyou! Well done for winning.

I've got a bit of time this afternoon so I'll see what I can do regarding any immediate rises to the top of the scoreboard. Pitching you say..
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Pretend Sports '08 - This Time, Its Personal!
« Reply #133 on: April 21, 2008, 04:48:14 pm »

Good God, my team is awful. I've all but given up hope on repeating my title. Now all that's left is to play for pride, for vengeance, and for victory. Except not victory. Maybe just a double dose of vengeance.

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Pretend Sports '08 - This Time, Its Personal!
« Reply #134 on: April 21, 2008, 10:52:28 pm »

Dear Garret Anderson:

Thank you for your long and valuable career under the halo. Your contribution to the franchise in being an integral part of its only world championship team as well as its all time RBI leader is vastly appreciated.

All that said, could you hire a left hander to throw you slow curve after slow curve until you learn how to recognize and stoke that damn thing. I figure you should probably plan that into your budget. Especially since me, Joe Blowjob Public, has recognized that you haven't hit a damn thing in that situation for at least three motherfuck*ng years, you bitch ass potato headed wobbly doll fart licking sewer king bastard...

Oh geeze. Sorry about that.

In closing, thanks for your proud and long standing service.

P.S. You Gumby-headed SOB

Hee hee. One of my favorite M's blogs has a slightly different take on Garrett Anderson.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 16   Go Up