Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Listen, I've been duped by "English-speaking" pizza places before.

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 16   Go Down

Author Topic: Pretend Sports '08 - This Time, Its Personal!  (Read 42442 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Pretend Sports '08 - This Time, Its Personal!
« Reply #150 on: April 28, 2008, 03:48:18 am »

The Cheesethieves just beat the living fuck out of me. Well done, mostly Angels.

A warning, however, to the league:

With Guillen soon to acquire 3B eligibility, I have been able to shorten my bench and carry another starting pitcher... a configuration that will most likely benefit a dude greatly.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Turbo Ninja

  • A Tall Glass of Tuaca
  • Mr. Bear (Cornelius)
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 125
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 689
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Sports '08 - This Time, Its Personal!
« Reply #151 on: April 28, 2008, 06:53:46 pm »

I am I Predict Theriot, which comes from the long tradition of crossing pop-cultural streams for fantasy team names and/or indie rock bands.

In my NBA Fake League ("The Pau Pau Platter"), we had a team called LUOLCats.  My squad was called "Magettesburg Address."

In a bygone fake baseball league a foe was "Le Pettitte Mort."

Once I figure out how to monetize the art, I shall make it my career.

 
Logged

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Sports '08 - This Time, Its Personal!
« Reply #152 on: April 28, 2008, 10:59:20 pm »

I personally know a dude with a trio pack. He lost one while we were playing rugby, and when he got to the hospital they told him they could hook him up with a synthetic testicle. Naturally, he asked for 2. Insurance paid for the first nut, he paid for the other. This guy can also eat an entire beer can. Personally I feel like the third wheel would get bulky? Like that is a lot to be dangling around in the under carriage.

Seems like the two new guys would always be gangin' up on the old one, resenting the fact that its the only "operational" one in the bunch. Hm, a "bunch" of testicles, I wonder if it possible to have a bushel?
Logged

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Sports '08 - This Time, Its Personal!
« Reply #153 on: April 28, 2008, 11:29:43 pm »

Hm, a "bunch" of testicles, I wonder if it possible to have a bushel?
Its likely a new special interest group has suddenly formed on the Internet somewhere.  Since I'm at work, I will decline to Google it at the moment.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

iron_felix

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 65
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 373
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Sports '08 - This Time, Its Personal!
« Reply #154 on: April 29, 2008, 12:44:46 pm »

By process of elimination, I must be the Phlogistons... that was my guess all along, though.  My original idea last year was to be the "Clouds of Latent Phlogiston," which sadly wouldn't fit; I settled on the Fightin's instead because I thought it fit the motif established by AW's team, the Gashouse Gorillas.

Congrats to Mr. Mayor on last week's matchup - I don't feel like things have really been clicking for my team lately, but with the kind of numbers you put up I don't think I would have fared much better even if they were.  3-6-1 is about the best I could have hoped for on a good week.  Also, a rather belated "good match" to the Cheddar Crooks, whom I faced (and somehow miraculously beat) the week before.  I'm not sure how much your stats actually benefited that week from picking up Wandy Rodriguez and Ryan Dempster, but they were both smart moves that I had been intending to make myself before you beat me to them.  Touché, sir.

Considering the state of my team over the last couple of weeks, I feel lucky that I've even managed to break even, and luckier still that that's been good enough to hang onto a piece of first place.  A couple other people here have drawn parallels between their fantasy teams and their real-life hometown teams; I'm seeing some between the Phlogistons and my Braves.  Both barraged with injuries out of the gate, both managing to keep our heads above water, crossing our fingers that it can hold up until we're at something remotely resembling 100%, that nobody else jumps too far out in front beforehand.  At least in fantasyland the rosters are fluid enough to nuke the pitching staff from orbit and start over when the need arises.
Logged

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Pretend Sports '08 - This Time, Its Personal!
« Reply #155 on: April 29, 2008, 06:47:11 pm »

A couple other people here have drawn parallels between their fantasy teams and their real-life hometown teams; I'm seeing some between the Phlogistons and my Braves. 

Amusing notion, these parallels.
The Banana Town Bruisers have great starting pitching and a fairly potent positional line-up.  Just got above .500 with great expectations for the rest of the season.
The Washington Nationals... do not.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Pretend Sports '08 - This Time, Its Personal!
« Reply #156 on: April 30, 2008, 02:27:15 am »

Oh ten hells of yes, I am such as the Mets.

Quite solid pitching but not quite enough of it and... embarrassing hitting.

Like peering-between-your-fingers-just-wanting-to-see-that-its-over hitting.

GET SOME HITS, GODDAMN YOU PEOPLE!
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Pretend Sports '08 - This Time, Its Personal!
« Reply #157 on: May 01, 2008, 09:17:28 pm »

ALSO: Kerry Wood just blew up to hurt me. That is the only reason he did it.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Pretend Sports '08 - This Time, Its Personal!
« Reply #158 on: May 05, 2008, 08:58:48 pm »

Well played, Bananamen.

Next up: Did the riot predict I'd have Theriot?
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: Pretend Sports '08 - This Time, Its Personal!
« Reply #159 on: May 07, 2008, 11:57:59 pm »

I just found out that Baseball is yet another British-invented sport.

Makes perfect sense considering my form here.
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Sports '08 - This Time, Its Personal!
« Reply #160 on: May 10, 2008, 08:25:24 pm »

I'm currently mopping the floor with asherdan. The mets had some awesome blowouts this week. Did anyone catch John Maine's wundershow?
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Pretend Sports '08 - This Time, Its Personal!
« Reply #161 on: May 11, 2008, 03:33:52 am »

No, but I was at the game where Ollie Perez got cuffed around like a chump.

Great fuckin' seats, though.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: Pretend Sports '08 - This Time, Its Personal!
« Reply #162 on: May 12, 2008, 08:31:10 pm »

I WON A GAME. Excellent.

The fightback is on boyos.
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: Pretend Sports '08 - This Time, Its Personal!
« Reply #163 on: May 13, 2008, 12:42:43 am »

You've gotta be fuck*ng kidding me. I was up 7-2 going into Sunday. Then 2/3 of my team got rained out on Sunday including two pitching starts, and that opened the door. Dammit... I HATE days like today.
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Pretend Sports '08 - This Time, Its Personal!
« Reply #164 on: May 13, 2008, 01:33:42 am »

Well done, the-riot.

Someday I will figure out my outfield situation. My pitching is pretty damned rad, though.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 16   Go Up