Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood My bicycle is parked in the living room. A tub of tartar sauce sits open on the counter. Truly, the evidence of a wife being away too long.

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 16   Go Down

Author Topic: Pretend Sports '08 - This Time, Its Personal!  (Read 42422 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Pretend Sports '08 - This Time, Its Personal!
« Reply #165 on: May 14, 2008, 04:37:10 am »

I mean, I think a lot of what's going on is...

I think a lot of you guys have too many bench hitters and not enough bench pitchers.

How often are you going to use those hitters on your bench? Most players are only gonna have one travel day a week and... other than catchers... most of the players you're gonna have in a small league like ours, they're gonna be playing every start.

So you've gotta be pretty judicious about how many bench hitters to hold onto.

The marginal utility of having anything more than... 12 hitters, 11 if you have enough multi-position players to cover all your positions twice... is pretty small.

Whereas if you carry ten pitchers and six or seven of those pitchers are starting pitchers... you can cycle them through in your week and every one of them will provide SOMETHING that week...

Even if it is just the counting stats like wins and strikeouts, it is something.

Depending on how your players' travel schedules go and what kind of positional overlap you have, some of your bench HITTERS might get used... once every two weeks?

I dunno.

I just see a lot of you dudes carrying a lot of marginal hitters that you probably will rarely use whereas... if you took three minutes a day to plug in and plug out your starting pitchers that are starting that day...

You'd have significant bulk added to your pitching, in the very least and... if you're choosing well... a lot more innings to even out any fluke poor performances by one or two of your starters that week.

Just me, just my opinion here.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Sports '08 - This Time, Its Personal!
« Reply #166 on: May 14, 2008, 06:16:35 am »

see i like to keep just a few good pitchers, because if they pitch well, thats it. The more pitchers, the more chances of someone getting a 17 era. Closers you need for saves and wins.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Pretend Sports '08 - This Time, Its Personal!
« Reply #167 on: May 18, 2008, 05:58:18 pm »

Okay. Spring Training is over. Now is when the Zombie Reagans actually start playing for reals. Watch out, world! Watch out, braaaaaiiiiinnnnsss!

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Pretend Sports '08 - This Time, Its Personal!
« Reply #168 on: May 18, 2008, 10:57:21 pm »

Okay, Zombies, but I've entirely shuffled my bench for more power and my pitching science is entirely tight.

So watch out. Even a Zombie goes down if you take off the head.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Pretend Sports '08 - This Time, Its Personal!
« Reply #169 on: May 19, 2008, 03:26:07 am »

I think I eked out seven categories at the end there... good week, though, Muttonheads.

Need more home-runs, though. Hopefully my new waiver pick-ups will fix that.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Pretend Sports '08 - This Time, Its Personal!
« Reply #170 on: May 22, 2008, 08:33:54 pm »

Church and Schneider played the first quarter of the season way over their heads, no doubtsy-boutsy.

But Church is a concussion magnet and Schneider's coming down to Earth as we speak.

It's a game of the long numbers, not the short ones.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Pretend Sports '08 - This Time, Its Personal!
« Reply #171 on: May 22, 2008, 09:34:44 pm »

It's a... weekly head-to-head league.

If this was a all-season old-school roto-points set up, I'd...

(conveniently trails off)
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Pretend Sports '08 - This Time, Its Personal!
« Reply #172 on: May 26, 2008, 06:31:27 pm »

Holy God, Phlogs, you almost had me completely murdered there for a second.

I got close to a tie for a week and... I've never been more proud of a 4-5-1.

Peavy being hurt reeeally dropped my ass.

Congrats, though.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Sports '08 - This Time, Its Personal!
« Reply #173 on: May 26, 2008, 06:36:54 pm »

I picked a bad year to follow the mets and track them with my team. People need to lose their jobs and not have money or sperm.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Pretend Sports '08 - This Time, Its Personal!
« Reply #174 on: May 27, 2008, 12:47:22 am »

Luis Castillo + four year contract = hilarity.

Laughing at one's own pain is the only laughter for Mets fans this year.

Entirely washed-up players at second and first, left and right field can't stay healthy to save their lives, the catcher just can't hit at a major league level after a small hot streak to start the season.

Mets got three hitters and six automatic outs. It's... lovely.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Lister

  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 101
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 892
  • 2, 4, 6, 8, time to transubstantiate!
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Sports '08 - This Time, Its Personal!
« Reply #175 on: May 27, 2008, 06:06:30 am »

Poor Mets, they're only .500.

Saturday I got to see two Padres pitchers make their major league debuts!  One of them gave up a 418-foot homer, and the other one took 48 pitches to get three outs.

Also: you can see Griffey's earring sparkle from the second deck.
Logged
Lister.  Not that one, the other one.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Pretend Sports '08 - This Time, Its Personal!
« Reply #176 on: May 27, 2008, 02:57:20 pm »

Words I never thought I'd say or write:
I just picked up Cristian Guzman on my fantasy team.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Pretend Sports '08 - This Time, Its Personal!
« Reply #177 on: June 02, 2008, 01:59:48 pm »

Guess that Guzman thing worked out OK.  I believe 8-0 is what is commonly known as "an ass-whoopin'."
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Pretend Sports '08 - This Time, Its Personal!
« Reply #178 on: June 02, 2008, 03:26:12 pm »

My pitching is doing a face-plant without having Peavy to pull down the ERA and the WHIP but I still eked out a win against the Ovens... well done, Ovens, very close.

This week, the Zombie Reagans which are... ironically... mostly on the DL.

Check your team, man, and update it... I would feel bad about taking the landslide this week without at least posting here that... hey, Zombie master, if you haven't checked your team lately, you might want to shuffle a bit. A lotta your team's injured.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Pretend Sports '08 - This Time, Its Personal!
« Reply #179 on: June 06, 2008, 02:50:53 pm »

Hole Camels, ladies and gentlemen!

Also, Elijah Dukes boned your mom.  Nats-Cardinals was frickin' ridiculous last night.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 16   Go Up