Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood There’s no Day for apologizing to our parents for all the stupid shit we put them through. Perhaps because we never finish before they die.

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 16   Go Down

Author Topic: Pretend Sports '08 - This Time, Its Personal!  (Read 42425 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Sports '08 - This Time, Its Personal!
« Reply #180 on: June 18, 2008, 12:53:16 am »

So we fired Willie Randolph in the middle of the night on the west coast, after he just won 3 out of 4 games... wtf ever. What a torturous time to be a mets fan.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Pretend Sports '08 - This Time, Its Personal!
« Reply #181 on: June 25, 2008, 04:30:28 am »

Okay, y'all.

Hockey and basketball are done and golf don't count without that one guy playing.

Time to get back in the fantasy baseball pool! The water is AWESOME.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

iron_felix

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 65
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 373
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Sports '08 - This Time, Its Personal!
« Reply #182 on: June 26, 2008, 11:08:53 am »

Now would also be a good time to point out that you only need to come in sixth to make the playoffs in September.  Right now there's about the same number of games between second place and third as there are between third place and tenth, so if you're not one of those top two teams it might seem tempting to just let everything run on autopilot, but in reality nobody's out of contention yet by a long shot.

Last year's final was between the third-place team and the fifth-place team.  Keith's team finished the season with a losing record and he still managed to win a trophy at the end.

The main reason I'm saying this is that if too many people start leaving injured players in their lineups or forgetting to move pitchers off their bench when they have a start, it makes the whole league a lot less fun for everybody.  Yahoo lets you adjust those things several days in advance, so you don't need to check up on your team every day to keep that from happening.  This hasn't really been so much of a thing yet in this league, but I have started to notice it and I'd like to get this out now before the summer starts to drag on and apathy sets in.
Logged

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Pretend Sports '08 - This Time, Its Personal!
« Reply #183 on: June 26, 2008, 03:56:04 pm »

Speaking of injuries, I have a fuckload of them.  One of the few ways in which my fantasy team parallels my favorite MLB team.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Pretend Sports '08 - This Time, Its Personal!
« Reply #184 on: June 26, 2008, 06:17:33 pm »

Not to mention that despite my recent success, my team is held together with, like, bailing wire and spit and could stop producing at any given moment. They are just waiting to throw a Mets-style collapse at me and... you could profit off of this, Fantasy People!
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Pretend Sports '08 - This Time, Its Personal!
« Reply #185 on: June 27, 2008, 01:07:41 am »

Oh yeah, my pitching is... not looking good this week.

It's partly Marcum going on the DL but I think it's partly my team pitching just being really up and down.

I might have to reconfigure my pitching "plan", actually, maybe go to a four-reliever scheme.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Pretend Sports '08 - This Time, Its Personal!
« Reply #186 on: June 28, 2008, 03:46:43 am »

I blew an entire week by not noticing that Sabathia was going to start today.

An entire geedee week.

I... just wanted to get this off my chest here.

FUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCK.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Pretend Sports '08 - This Time, Its Personal!
« Reply #187 on: June 28, 2008, 05:34:47 pm »

Yeah but... I would'a CLINCHED ERA, WHIP and K had he been in there.

Now we gotta dogfight for two days to see whose pitching sucks less.

Also: oh yeah, the ol' Come Dempster... dude burned me as a reliever a few times last year, too.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Pretend Sports '08 - This Time, Its Personal!
« Reply #188 on: June 30, 2008, 03:11:51 am »

Well done, Cheddar Crooks... a dogfight in pitching as expected.

Up next, the Bananas in Pajamas who... have an entire All-Star team on the DL, uncanny.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Pretend Sports '08 - This Time, Its Personal!
« Reply #189 on: June 30, 2008, 06:01:33 pm »

Yeah, it's getting a little out of control.  Magglio the latest to go down.  Nobody on target to come off real soon, maybe Furcal by the weekend.

In Washington yesterday, Ronnie Belliard BONED YOUR MOM.  I sat through 12 innings of rooting for the Nats' miserable line-up, which included such luminaries as Kory Casto, Pete Orr, and Wil Nieves.  And with two outs and two strikes in the bottom of the 12th, bang, game-winner. 

No matter how shitty your team is, there will be at least a few days that good over the course of the season.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Pretend Sports '08 - This Time, Its Personal!
« Reply #190 on: July 02, 2008, 01:27:04 pm »

More injuries!  My catcher went on the DL with a testicular fracture!
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Sports '08 - This Time, Its Personal!
« Reply #191 on: July 02, 2008, 04:58:52 pm »

Gah! This happened to a friend of mine when we were 10.  His happened after he fell off a hoss and it stepped on him (fracturing both and splitting the scrotum open to boot).  We were visiting another friend on a station near the outback, and it took 2 hours for an ambulance to arrive.  My mom was a trauma nurse fortunately, and kept him from going into shock while keeping the swelling down with ice packs.  I recall that the testicles survived - but I wonder whether it rendered him sterile. 
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: Pretend Sports '08 - This Time, Its Personal!
« Reply #192 on: July 02, 2008, 11:05:44 pm »

More injuries!  My catcher went on the DL with a testicular fracture!

Gives new meaning to the phrase "bust a nut."
Logged

Lister

  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 101
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 892
  • 2, 4, 6, 8, time to transubstantiate!
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Sports '08 - This Time, Its Personal!
« Reply #193 on: July 05, 2008, 02:45:00 am »

I have only recently stopped repeating "ow" in relation to this thread.

Geeze.
Logged
Lister.  Not that one, the other one.

Ruta Bagas

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 108
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 426
  • Is that a shiny ring?
    • View Profile
    • The World Is Lovely
Re: Pretend Sports '08 - This Time, Its Personal!
« Reply #194 on: July 05, 2008, 10:49:27 am »

I once read a story about a chap who dislocated his leg at the hip and had it popped back in such that it trapped his testicle.

I'm confident that's anatomically impossible but I still didn't appreciate the thought.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 16   Go Up