Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
that there is no way to put a picture of a pug in the News Box?

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16   Go Down

Author Topic: Pretend Sports '08 - This Time, Its Personal!  (Read 42405 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Pretend Sports '08 - This Time, Its Personal!
« Reply #210 on: August 02, 2008, 11:13:38 pm »

If you don't believe the mental game gets ratcheted up, or choose to disregard its importance, in the playoffs or in a major market explain Ed Whitson, Andy Hawkins or Barry Bonds in those situations.

If Epstein is such a frigging genius why is Manny making such a splash in the sox season. Somebody misjudged the noise dude was making back in spring training.

You make a good point about Manny, but I think it's because Epstein knows you can get a better return for a star player when you trade him to a desperate team at the deadline. GMs are thinking more rationally at the beginning of the season, maybe? But I think it speaks to the dude's skill as a GM that even with Manny losing it once and for all and Ortiz falling to pieces, the team is still right near the top of the division.

And as for the postseason thing, our little debate here is just an example of the stats vs scouts debate that never gets anyone anywhere when argued on the internets. So we'll agree to disagree there. (But as one last parting shot: Manny Ramirez is the owner of a .247 BA in the World Series. I couldn't resist.)

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Pretend Sports '08 - This Time, Its Personal!
« Reply #211 on: August 05, 2008, 08:23:00 pm »

Quote from: Deadspin
If you've got him in your fantasy league, kudos; Seattle's Raul Ibanez drives in six runs in one inning. Holy crap.

That would be me!  And yes he was in my starting line-up yesterday!  I currently lead the RBI category 11-1.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Pretend Sports '08 - This Time, Its Personal!
« Reply #212 on: August 18, 2008, 03:56:00 am »

Two weeks left before the playoffs!

Jockey for position, y'all, and saddle up!
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Pretend Sports '08 - This Time, Its Personal!
« Reply #213 on: September 08, 2008, 01:25:57 pm »

Playoffs round 1:
After trailing all week, I come back on Sunday to squeak past the Cheddar Crooks 5-4.

The Muttonheads take out the Men With No Name 5-3.

Semis:  Banana Town vs. Phlogistons, Muttonheads vs. DHR.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Pretend Sports '08 - This Time, Its Personal!
« Reply #214 on: September 09, 2008, 01:34:05 am »

With Quentin and Drew down, I'm basically fucked offensively and...

Lets face it, I was running on a lot of first-half starting pitching but nothing worth replacing them with on the wire.

I am built for the regular season. Blah.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Pretend Sports '08 - This Time, Its Personal!
« Reply #215 on: September 10, 2008, 04:10:00 am »

Fuck yes.

I am Imaginary Billy Beane, it seems.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Pretend Sports '08 - This Time, Its Personal!
« Reply #216 on: September 16, 2008, 01:28:12 pm »

And the Bruisers of Banana Town, and the Heads of Mutton, didst upset the 1 and 2 seeds to meet for the champeenship.

It's on, Egg Man.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Pretend Sports '08 - This Time, Its Personal!
« Reply #217 on: September 16, 2008, 03:43:39 pm »

How did I do this two years in a row?

I mean, c'mon.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Sports '08 - This Time, Its Personal!
« Reply #218 on: September 16, 2008, 06:33:12 pm »

I'm just stumbling along, bewilderfied.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Sports '08 - This Time, Its Personal!
« Reply #219 on: September 16, 2008, 08:13:26 pm »

Good one week, dumpster diving the next.

Seems just like last year so far.

I like that rookie Bears running back so far, though.

This sure has been a hard year to be a Bolts fan -- you guys were robbed!
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Sports '08 - This Time, Its Personal!
« Reply #220 on: September 17, 2008, 04:03:27 am »

You see how many slants and skinny posts are being run in combo now? In 1992 guys like Rice or Irvin running those was a big deal, a manhood kind of thing, because of the price you paid for taking the ball on those kinds of routes. Because often times the last thing dude saw after his head pivoted up field was the top of a helmet looking like a bowling ball rolling in on him right before the world exploded and went all quiet for a while.
NFL players of a certain vintage refer to this as the "Chuck Cecil Poster"


The Packers were pretty weak when he played for them, but you know the receivers on visiting teams dreaded routes over the middle.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Sports '08 - This Time, Its Personal!
« Reply #221 on: September 17, 2008, 04:25:46 am »

why is it safer to hit someone with your head up versus a straight spine protected by a helmet. It would seem to me that if your head is up, it would be easier to snap the neck.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Sports '08 - This Time, Its Personal!
« Reply #222 on: September 17, 2008, 05:14:38 am »

Your neck muscles absorb the force of the hit, and its also dispersed over a longer period of time (still measured in milliseconds).  When you hit with the crown of your head, the bony structures of your neck bear the entire load, without the benefit of the elastic shock cords of your neck muscles.  They just plain don't have the physical structure to withstand those kinds of loads.  There's a little give from the intervertebral discs, but the ones in the neck aren't very thick and they bottom out pretty quick.

All that said, the advances in helmet technology still protected the players enough that there were surprisingly few neck fractures in the pro ranks (although there are a ton of retired players who don't move their heads real well).  Concussions on the other hand are very frequent in spearing tackles, and while helmet designs helped, repeated concussions forced a lot of guys (Chuck Cecil included) out of the game and played a hand in the rule changes.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Sports '08 - This Time, Its Personal!
« Reply #223 on: September 17, 2008, 05:57:14 pm »

Now I'm glad I actually looked at this thread. I get to see one football player pleasuring another. And it's called "spearing." Hmmm...
Logged

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Pretend Sports '08 - This Time, Its Personal!
« Reply #224 on: September 27, 2008, 05:00:48 pm »

I'm not quite ready to concede, but it sure does look like I'm going to be the first-place loser.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16   Go Up